Guitar virgin

Janie

I will admit that it isn't exactly comfortable sitting down. I tried standing but found I was having a hard time finding the 3rd, 5th, 7th.... fret and I have to stare at my fingers. Although I'm trying to get into the practice of getting a feel for where my fingers are and my hand position so that I don't always rely on staring at my hand placement. Jeez, did that even make sense?

Yes, it made perfect sense. My advice when you're learning something new on the instrument is this: get it right. Look at the fretboard, play it slowly—do what you have to do to nail it. And then when you're comfortable with it, pick up the pace, start playing it without looking, etc. When people try to get fancy or take things too quickly, they play the parts incorrectly, and that's how bad habits form. The incorrect way of playing becomes engrained.

BTW, after I practiced tonight, my fingertips were all indented and purple. I feel like such a guitar player now.

Right on. :haz:

This is what I'm afraid of... that I'll start using bad habits and then won't be able to break them. I kind of want to take lessons from someone.

I will admit that it isn't exactly comfortable sitting down. I tried standing but found I was having a hard time finding the 3rd, 5th, 7th.... fret and I have to stare at my fingers. Although I'm trying to get into the practice of getting a feel for where my fingers are and my hand position so that I don't always rely on staring at my hand placement. Jeez, did that even make sense?

Yes, it made perfect sense. My advice when you're learning something new on the instrument is this: get it right. Look at the fretboard, play it slowly—do what you have to do to nail it. And then when you're comfortable with it, pick up the pace, start playing it without looking, etc. When people try to get fancy or take things too quickly, they play the parts incorrectly, and that's how bad habits form. The incorrect way of playing becomes engrained.

BTW, after I practiced tonight, my fingertips were all indented and purple. I feel like such a guitar player now.

Right on. :haz:

This is what I'm afraid of... that I'll start using bad habits and then won't be able to break them. I kind of want to take lessons from someone.

You are correct Janie. I have played tons of golf in my lifetime. If I had had lessons first, I would have been a better player. Its hard to be good when bad habits are the first thing you learn...... :)

I kind of want to take lessons from someone.

+ Juan on lessons.

Having someone right there to correct mistakes immediately and guide you in an effecient way to learn guitar makes sense to me.

[God damn I sound like an ad for a 'Learn Guitar' lol].

Edited by thirteen

Good idea! Just name the time and place. ;)

You're on Mr. Minnesota. We'll have a long distance guitar relationship. Let's see if this works.

(You are a wealth of guitar info so I'll definitely be turning to you for advice. So, get ready!)

• Like 1

I'm playing sitting down

Have you practiced standing yet?

Much more ergonomic and comfortable imo.

I agree on the comfort element. I almost always play standing up because it's more comfortable and I just have more fun that way. But when I was first learning how to play, I sat. Even now, I feel like I have more control over the instrument that way. Of course, the optimal method of attaining comfort and control varies from person to person. :)

One thing I'm not liking is how teensy tiny the dots are for the fret markers. I'm thinking of taking a small sticker dot or something to make it more obvious to me. The dots are large on the neck but microscopic on the top part of the neck where I'm trying to look.

In a few more weeks, you might want to start practicing in the dark so that you can train your hand where to go. That way the fretboard markers won't even be an issue.

You're on Mr. Minnesota. We'll have a long distance guitar relationship. Let's see if this works.

(You are a wealth of guitar info so I'll definitely be turning to you for advice. So, get ready!)

I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. I'm a self-taught sort myself, and while I've learned a lot from various buds and bandmates over the years, most of the advice I'll be able to offer will likely be of the practical (rather than technical) kind. Love talking guitar in any fashion though. (And you'll probably be the superior player in short order anyway. :) )

I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. I'm a self-taught sort myself, and while I've learned a lot from various buds and bandmates over the years, most of the advice I'll be able to offer will likely be of the practical (rather than technical) kind. Love talking guitar in any fashion though. (And you'll probably be the superior player in short order anyway. :) )

Practical might be nice, especially if I do end up taking lessons. It'll be the perfect match of both worlds.

Pics of said guitar?

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/262515_lespaul.jpg

Interesting where they put the pickup selector.

That's what I was thinking.

Gorgeous guitar, Janie. You're starting your music career off in style.

Congrats, Janie! You've started an awesome adventure. I'll tell you what I told my son when he started.

"The first three months you are going to sound like sh*t, your hands will hurt, you will get frustrated and think this will never sound good and you will never get it. Get through those first three months and in a year you will look back and wonder WTF was so hard about those first three months.

This is my son playing 2 years after that conversation in a Dream Theater tribute. He sang too but his guitar solo at the 4:45 mark blew me away. He was 15 years old.

• Like 1

Congrats, Janie! You've started an awesome adventure. I'll tell you what I told my son when he started.

"The first three months you are going to sound like sh*t, your hands will hurt, you will get frustrated and think this will never sound good and you will never get it. Get through those first three months and in a year you will look back and wonder WTF was so hard about those first three months.

This is my son playing 2 years after that conversation in a Dream Theater tribute. He sang too but his guitar solo at the 4:45 mark blew me away. He was 15 years old.

Thank you Kenny! Very awesome about your boy! I haven't had much time to practice yet. The kids are still on winter break and we're competing for Xbox time (I bought them Skylanders for Christmas and they can't get enough of it). I have enjoyed what little guitar time I've gotten in though. Sometimes I just sit and go over what I've already learned without using Rocksmith. I feel like my fingers are really stiff, like I struggle to get them in the right position. I know that will change down the road though so I'm not getting discouraged at all.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6PJ80dp5U

Thank you Kenny! Very awesome about your boy! I haven't had much time to practice yet. The kids are still on winter break and we're competing for Xbox time (I bought them Skylanders for Christmas and they can't get enough of it). I have enjoyed what little guitar time I've gotten in though. Sometimes I just sit and go over what I've already learned without using Rocksmith. I feel like my fingers are really stiff, like I struggle to get them in the right position. I know that will change down the road though so I'm not getting discouraged at all.

Here is a little something I bought that you might want to try.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150102&p_id=611500&seq=1&format=2

$16 plus 2 AAA batteries and a set of headphones and you can practice whenever you want.

I bought one for my bass and I love it. I'm playing Rocksmith a lot less and just messing around on the fretboard going over stuff I've already learned and making up little basslines that at least sound decent to me. ;)

I also ordered a Snark tuner just because I got tired of carrying the bass to my PC just so I could tune it in Rocksmith.

Like somebody said in the Bass Players thread.. I have a severe case of G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. hahahaha!

• Like 1

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150102&p_id=611500&seq=1&format=2

$16 plus 2 AAA batteries and a set of headphones and you can practice whenever you want.

I bought one for my bass and I love it. I'm playing Rocksmith a lot less and just messing around on the fretboard going over stuff I've already learned and making up little basslines that at least sound decent to me. ;)

I also ordered a Snark tuner just because I got tired of carrying the bass to my PC just so I could tune it in Rocksmith.

Like somebody said in the Bass Players thread.. I have a severe case of G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. hahahaha!

Oh I can definitely see myself being a victim of GAS (HA - love it!). I'm still in the mood to tinker around with Rocksmith. I'll get quiet time around the house on Monday and can get in some practice time.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

You were gassing over something that cost $16?

I only wish my gas was that inexpensive.

• Like 1

Agreed. I bring about $5,000 worth of gear to each show!

• Like 1

I've only been playing a month!

And my GAS is nickle and diming me to death.. LOL

$16 for the mini headphone amp. $36 for a nice Levy's strap. $12 for the tuner. $5 for a cable to plug into the tuner.

Next week it'll probably $50+ because I want to get the bass setup properly.

Playing for fun sure isn't cheap! heh!

I've only been playing a month!

And my GAS is nickle and diming me to death.. LOL

$16 for the mini headphone amp. $36 for a nice Levy's strap. $12 for the tuner. $5 for a cable to plug into the tuner.

Next week it'll probably $50+ because I want to get the bass setup properly.

Playing for fun sure isn't cheap! heh!

I fear for my wallet the minute I walk into a music store.

Playing for fun may not be cheap but I think it drives your passion and desire to do more. Plus, it's fun to walk into the shop of your passion and soak up every little thing about it! Hobbies, and the gadgets that come with them, are an evil necessity IMO.