Guitar virgin

Janie

I see Firefly on the bottom shelf!!

I spy Star Wars and Seinfeld!! :)

You guys are too funny! We also have the movie, 'Serenity' Chronos. We have so many more DVDs now. I found a cool lawyers bookcase online and all the movies are stored in there. I can't even remember when our collection was that tiny.

Good eyes, guys!

^^ Thanks! :) He sat there for the longest time watching. So cool! It's amazing how drawn he is, and always has been, to music. My other one is not so into music.

So cute. I had a shot for my first birthday with a toy drum kit going bananas on it. I should try and scan it one day. We lived in a semi-detached in the UK so I'm sure it drove the neighbours crazy. Also the nurturing with music is always fascinating, how the bug gets passed down. Certainly went that way for me with all the radio goodness I was exposed to...reminds me of this great song:

• Like 1

You guys knocked yourself out to look at what titles are on the shelves...I just thought it was remarkable that the little guy was up and watching a Rush DVD at 7:25 in the morning. Hahaha...

(Check out the little clock above the TV. It was one of he first things I noticed, when I first saw the photo).

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I forgot about that little old clock. Now there's a massively huge one on the second shelf above the one in that pic.

God help me if I ever post others pics of the rooms in my house!

Edited by Janie
  • Like 1

There are literally thousands of songs you could learn to play with just three chords- G, C, and D.

E minor was the first chord I ever learned, because it's about the most simplistic of the ones that are most common. But at any rate, depending on where you are in the learning process, get a few chords down and you'll be amazed at how much that can open up.

I went back through my old notebooks from when I first started taking lessons, and found the first couple of songs I ever learned- they involved G, C, and D, as well as Em, Am, and Bm...those are all fairly common, and that Bm was my first introduction to barre chords. F and B natural are about the most common of the major barre chords (by major, I mean as opposed to those that are in minor key).

Good luck and have fun. :)

• Like 1

There are literally thousands of songs you could learn to play with just three chords- G, C, and D.

E minor was the first chord I ever learned, because it's about the most simplistic of the ones that are most common. But at any rate, depending on where you are in the learning process, get a few chords down and you'll be amazed at how much that can open up.

I went back through my old notebooks from when I first started taking lessons, and found the first couple of songs I ever learned- they involved G, C, and D, as well as Em, Am, and Bm...those are all fairly common, and that Bm was my first introduction to barre chords. F and B natural are about the most common of the major barre chords (by major, I mean as opposed to those that are in minor key).

Yeah, that's always fun, going back to those early lessons on paper. From what I remember with those open chords the first songs were something like House of the Rising Sun and Blowing in the Wind, then came the strumming patterns etc. I stopped going after a few lessons as he was a hopeless teacher. Even back then in the late 80s I was blathering on about Rush, of course my fellow student knew them, the teacher had no idea. He was in my bad books from then on.

Yeah, that's always fun, going back to those early lessons on paper. From what I remember with those open chords the first songs were something like House of the Rising Sun and Blowing in the Wind, then came the strumming patterns etc. I stopped going after a few lessons as he was a hopeless teacher. Even back then in the late 80s I was blathering on about Rush, of course my fellow student knew them, the teacher had no idea. He was in my bad books from then on.

That first instructor I had, he loved 2112. Here was how I found that out: after I'd been going to him for a few months, one day while he was trying to find something on paper or online or something, that he wanted to show to me, I started playing the opening bars of Something For Nothing, and he said, "Wait a minute, what is that? I recognize that from somewhere", and I told him it was an old Rush that I just figured out how to play when I was just messing around a few nights before. I mentioned it was on the second side of 2112, and he said he loved that record. We spent the rest of the lesson talking about Alex Lifeson.

For the record, the first two songs I ever learned to play were Polly, by Gene Clark (though I learned it from an acoustic recording by Chris and Rich Robinson), and the title track from After the Gold Rush (Neil Young). Those were both picks of my own. The first song my teacher ever had me learn was Freight Train, by Elizabeth Cotten. That was his pick.

• Like 1