Christmas Dinner Help Needed!

gangsterfurious

So....

You all wanted the update, so here goes. I was going to upload pictures of my feast but they're on my phone and uploading from phone to Photobucket to here is kind of a pain.

One thing I am embarrassed to admit was that I forgot the motto my husband and I have decided to use for our family "K.I.S.S." Or, "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

Actually things wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been sick and had more time to prepare like I was going to but I spent a few days in bed when I should have been making cookies and mashing potatoes. Also, one of the posters here was right, the holidays are not the time to be experimenting. Not that I did anything super-complicated, it was just too much at once.

:oops:

So yeah, the roast was ahhhhhmazing, but it turned out to be the only thing I liked. Towards the end of making dinner I was in a mad rush trying to prepare all of the vegetables, get the rolls in the oven, finish the gravy, etc... I spent about $200.00 on this dinner and so much food wasn't even touched. I don't really know what I did differently from Thanksgiving, which was a huge hit. But Christmas was a dud, we all could have just gone out to dinner at the Four Seasons Hotel or somewhere equally as nice for a few dollars more.

My broccolini got over cooked, only my mom and I touched the green beans, my gravy was too thick and nothing I did to it to thin it out seemed to work. I was so exhausted by the time I was done cooking I didn't really have an appetite, I just wanted to sit down with a glass of wine and a dinner roll but I forced myself to eat while I shared some of my beef and chicken with my dog. I made the mistake of picking him up and putting him on my lap with my plate still right in front of me, then my husband asked me a question, I turned to answer him, and then when I looked down my pup had buried his face in the pile of stuffing and beef on my plate and was going to town.

:sigh:

Anyway, yes this was the last Christmas I will try to go non-traditional. Next year everybody is getting chicken or beef (not both), stuffing, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, and a salad, maybe some gravy...

Gangster, I'm sorry. But you should have invited us. We would have eaten up a storm, especially me, who would have loved a home-cooked meal cooked by someone other than myself.

I know how you feel about spending so much time and exerting so much energy on a meal only to have it barely touched. Or not at all. That's how it was here. We have left overs, and most of them will eventually be thrown in the garbage. I made a promise to myself that this is the last year I am doing anything. We can't afford to waste money, and that is how I view it - a waste of money that could have been used on something else. Also, my husband isn't very appreciative. I wonder if he realizes that there are men who would love to have a woman extend herself to do something other than pop a frozen meal and/or dessert in the microwave?

Awww Lorraine let's do Christmas together next year... I wish we could.

It was so hard, with me being sick, and my mom's husband also was not feeling good. My mom and I used to shovel loads of food down our gullets during the holidays but as we age we just don't have the appetites we used to; funny how the less I eat the more I gain as I get older... :sigh:

My husband did and didn't appreciate the food, there were a few things I didn't make for him that I normally do and he wasn't really thrilled, I'm pretty sure the majority of his Christmas meal came in the form of sugar cookies. He didn't touch the gorgeous roasted purple potatoes that I cooked, those were probably my favorite part of the meal.

• Like 1

Gangster, I have found that too with myself. I can't eat the way I used to and it doesn't take a lot to make me feel stuffed. I wanted to eat more, but I knew if I did, I would just get sick.

Too bad we didn't live closer. We could get together with some other Rush ladies and gents and have a Rush Christmas meal and celebration. :)

• Like 1

Sorry it didn't turn out to be the success that you were hoping for! Reading your post got me thinking that these people that just order chinese food are onto something. It's just so much work to cook so much food and then have to clean up and then if things don't turn out well you feel bad. Chinese food and paper plates seems like a good deal to me. Five minutes to clean up and no stress involved.
  • Like 2

Sorry it didn't turn out to be the success that you were hoping for! Reading your post got me thinking that these people that just order chinese food are onto something. It's just so much work to cook so much food and then have to clean up and then if things don't turn out well you feel bad. Chinese food and paper plates seems like a good deal to me. Five minutes to clean up and no stress involved.

About an hour after my mom and her husband came over I was like "Hey, who wants to order pizza!?"

For the 23rd we had a crab feed and it was heaven. We had Alaskan King, steam plain and another batch made with cajun spice. We cover the kitchen island with plastic painting tarp and a layer of butcher paper, dumped it all in the middle - with the requisite corn, red potatoes and cole slaw (for the misguided) - and went at it, like top of the chain predators laying waste to the sea. Oh...the carnage!

Last night was lamb stew, which was amazing as well. For lunch today, it's crab cakes ( of course), salmon tonight, prime rib tomorrow. What a life...

My wife and mother-in-law killed the prime rib. Cooked it to well-done shoe leather. :facepalm:
  • Like 1

For the 23rd we had a crab feed and it was heaven. We had Alaskan King, steam plain and another batch made with cajun spice. We cover the kitchen island with plastic painting tarp and a layer of butcher paper, dumped it all in the middle - with the requisite corn, red potatoes and cole slaw (for the misguided) - and went at it, like top of the chain predators laying waste to the sea. Oh...the carnage!

Last night was lamb stew, which was amazing as well. For lunch today, it's crab cakes ( of course), salmon tonight, prime rib tomorrow. What a life...

My wife and mother-in-law killed the prime rib. Cooked it to well-done shoe leather. :facepalm:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Like 1

:banghead: :(

When it comes to prime rib I like to still hear it mooing.

• Like 2