Food Dinner Holidays Christmas Inspiration Creativity

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 20 December 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostMara, on 20 December 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 20 December 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 20 December 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 20 December 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 20 December 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

So basically, what I'm getting from this post is, make anything I want, just add crispy bacon. :drool: :rfl:
I have yet to find something that bacon won't enhance for the better.
A pig.

If I had a place where I could dig out a firepit and roast one, believe me, I would.

Why don't you head over to Oprah's estate (you posted elsewhere that you're sort of in the neighborhood) and dig your firepit/roast your pig there?  She's got an assload of property that you're paying to water - she should share.

That's a good idea, it's about 6 miles from here. The only thing I'm concerned about is that my family doesn't have the bail money.

That'd put a damper on the festive mood, for sure.

Sponsored Post

#42 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 4741 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

So basically, what I'm getting from this post is, make anything I want, just add crispy bacon. :drool: :rfl:
A pig.

If I had a place where I could dig out a firepit and roast one, believe me, I would.

Why don't you head over to Oprah's estate (you posted elsewhere that you're sort of in the neighborhood) and dig your firepit/roast your pig there?  She's got an assload of property that you're paying to water - she should share.

That's a good idea, it's about 6 miles from here. The only thing I'm concerned about is that my family doesn't have the bail money.
Just tell Oprah a sob story and she will manipulate you to make money off of it, somehow. (After all, she is skinny Oprah now and she could probably eat an entire pig herself if you put it in front of her.)

#43 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 20 December 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

A pig.

Just tell Oprah a sob story and she will manipulate you to make money off of it, somehow. (After all, she is skinny Oprah now and she could probably eat an entire pig herself if you put it in front of her.)

Yeah I could probably offer her part of the pig and run away with the rest of it while she chows down.

#44 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

One reason I will *never* stop calling myself a Jew:

Jewish Christmas:
1. Chinese food (take out or dine in, your choice)
2. Movie

It's a wonderful day.. really!

#45 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostSnaked, on 20 December 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Jewish Christmas:
2. Movie

"We eat Chinese food for Christmas...."

I'd love to be a Jew but there's that pesky belief in Jesus and I really like the whole Mormon thing.

#46 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 20 December 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Jewish Christmas:
2. Movie

I'd love to be a Jew but there's that pesky belief in Jesus and I really like the whole Mormon thing.

PSSST!

Jesus was a Jew :D

(punchline from a VERY long joke..)
...Ah hah! One of us made it!

#47 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

Jewish Christmas:
2. Movie

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy their food.  I love latkes, kugel, knishes. . . .they can keep the gefilte fish, though.

#48 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostMara, on 20 December 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

Jewish Christmas:
2. Movie

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy their food.  I love latkes, kugel, knishes. . . .they can keep the gefilte fish, though.

I made latkes the other morning. I'm in love with knish and Hamantash.

#49 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

View Postthesweetscience, on 20 December 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

A pig.
Bullshit.  Wrap a pork loin in bacon and let your eyes be opened!!
I've been asked to repeat my Thanksgiving recipe for Christmas.

#50 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

Member titles are overrated!

• Members *
  • 16320 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postgoose, on 21 December 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 20 December 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

A pig.
Bullshit.  Wrap a pork loin in bacon and let your eyes be opened!!
I've been asked to repeat my Thanksgiving recipe for Christmas.
And you should.  :yes:

Edited by thesweetscience, 21 December 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#51 John V

John V

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Music. Culinary Arts. Marijuana Advocate. Miami Dolphins Football. Beer.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

This type of dinner is no time to be experimenting. I did not read the whole thread, so I did not get all the facts and advice given.  But to try something new now is crazy.

What do you cook well?  What kinds of foods are you very familiar with?  I can tell you from a guests and a home chefs point of view.
Just because you make something traditional does not make the meal any less exciting.

I personally love the traditional holiday foods very much.  We don't get these things during the year.
My suggestion is to prepare something you are good at preparing.  And pick something thats not to hard and labor intensive.
Picking traditional tasty dishes will be much better received, than trying out something new on your guests.

#52 snowdogged

snowdogged

• Members *
  • 4741 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostJohn V, on 21 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

This type of dinner is no time to be experimenting. I did not read the whole thread, so I did not get all the facts and advice given.  But to try something new now is crazy.

What do you cook well?  What kinds of foods are you very familiar with?  I can tell you from a guests and a home chefs point of view.
Just because you make something traditional does not make the meal any less exciting.

I personally love the traditional holiday foods very much.  We don't get these things during the year.
My suggestion is to prepare something you are good at preparing.  And pick something thats not to hard and labor intensive.
Picking traditional tasty dishes will be much better received, than trying out something new on your guests.
Don't listen to anything that he says. Just by looking at his avatar you can rest assured that it's just the munchies talking.

#53 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostJohn V, on 21 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I cook whatever I set my mind too well Mr. Dolphins Boooo-tay.

#54 snowdogged

snowdogged

• Members *
  • 4741 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Have you thought of Hamburger Helper?

Edited by snowdogged, 21 December 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#55 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 20 December 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Help! Help! Help!

Seriously...

Right after Thanksgiving I began trying to plan Christmas dinner. I started collecting ideas on Pinterest and then had my husband take a peek at all of the recipes I had collected and he told me what he liked the most. Well, two nights ago I sat down and started to write down my shopping list and recipes and I realized that our dinner was so... white and he agreed with me.

Now I LOVE to cook and be in the kitchen for a holiday (I get up around 5 AM and start cooking and baking), but what I hate is boring, generic, and even... traditional recipes. I want to break away from the ordinary so that my family isn't sitting down and only eating the same stuff every year. I don't mind making things like stuffing and certain sides but I like for them to have an interesting twist or something that makes them stand out; there has to be a "wow" factor. When I looked at my original list I noticed it was chicken, mashed potatoes, bread, stuffing.

So if anybody has any unique or special ideas, traditions of their own, or recipes, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

- Gangster
I'm just curious what came of the revamped menu.

#56 vital signz

vital signz

MĂ©dico en La Villa

• Members *
  • 5375 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

We go all out for Thanksgiving, so Christmas is much less stressful, more fun!  There is so much to do with family, kids, Santa, clean-up, that dinner has to be spontaneous and joyful yet delicious:

For Christmas eve:

1.  Shrimp Cocktail
2.  Cheese-wine Fondue with pumpernickel, sourdough and fruit to dip
3.  Spinach dip in a pumpernickel bowl
4.  Deviled Eggs
5.  Honey-baked ham---just pick one up at the store...no cooking!
6.  Parker House rolls—great as a side or to make little ham sandwiches
7.  Chicken Salad for those who do not like ham
8.  Olives and Sweet Pickles
9.  A platter of assorted meats, salami, cheeses
10. Champagne, wine, port, beer....an excellent fun drink is champagne + grand marnier + pomegranite juice, and some pomegranite seeds added to the glass for decoration

Christmas day we always do a breakfast casserole that consists of sausage, cheese, eggs, bread, and milk with OJ or mimosas

Christmas lunch/dinner is:

1.  Leftovers from above
2.  Leftover Honey-baked ham
3.  Bob Evans Scalloped potatoes +/- light crispy bacon added + extra sharp cheddar cheese on top(takes five minutes to dump three packages of scalloped potatoes into casserole dish) and bake it while you relax and watch the kids have fun, or play with your new stuff and relax!
4.  Peas or glazed carrots or brussels sprouts done with chopped onion and chopped bacon
5.  Marie Callender's Cherry Crumble Pie with Vanilla ice cream for dessert

This is what we have done for years and it is soooo easy and fun.

#57 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Alright...

So after many hours banging my head against the wall and looking at Pinterest I have my final (I think) menu! I've been watching a lot of Food Network Italian-inspired shows and my husband and both agreed that sounds damn tasty so I'm going for Italian based flavors (mostly, kind-of sort-of) and everybody is very excited. And if they don't like what I cook there's always Denny's or Jack in the Box for them to enjoy. :coy:

1. Antipasto platter - I'm going to serve this out on my coffee table while we are all visiting and I finish cooking. I'll have some flavored marcona almonds, cashews, olives, fresh mozzarella, peppers, tomato, etc...

2. Drink concoction - My mom and her husband don't drink so I am making them a special non-alcoholic cocktail of sparkling apple cider, sparkling cranberry, and then I will be deseeding a pomegranate this evening and putting the seeds in the drink.

3. Chicken - Roasting a chicken with an Italian blend of seasoning that I have, I'll also be putting sage and lemon inside while it cooks.

4. Roast - I have a skirt steak I'm going to marinate in a balsamic glaze overnight and then start cooking in my slow-cooker very early tomorrow morning. I am going to tenderize it and then fill it with a mix of portobella mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and herbs, as well as proscuitto, then it gets wrapped up in twine so it will be stuffed. This is what I'm most looking forward to cooking, hopefully it will be very tender from many hours in the slow-cooker.

5. Stuffing. My husband has to have stuffing so I'm making it rather traditional but with more herb flavor.

6. Chicken gravy - Not Italian at all but another must-have for the husband along with the stuffing.

7. Roasted potatoes - I was able to find a small bag of purple (like x1yyz recommended), red, and Yukon gold potatoes and then I bought a 5 lb. bag of red so I will mix all of those up, toss them in olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary, and roast them. And THEN I found a big gorgeous bag of multicolored carrots, there's a couple that are almost beet red, some yellow, some lighter orange, and your regular orange carrots. I own a spiralizer so those will be spiralized and then added to the roast, along with some shallots and garlic, towards the end of cooking.

8. Sauteed mushrooms. I have loads of white wine left over from Thanksgiving so I'm going to saute a nice big side of button mushrooms and garlic because my husband and I could live off of sauteed mushrooms if we had to.

9. Dessert - I'm still unsure about dessert, last night I spent three hours making my mother-in-law's cookie recipe that I MUST make every year so I have about 4 dozen of those at the moment - though I am sure it will be 3 dozen when I get home from work. I also have two cans of pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving so it wouldn't be too much for me to whip up a pie. I don't know, stay tuned.

So about the bacon...

You guys really had me tempted to bacon up everything. Have you ever seen or had the applewood smoked bacon they sell at Trader Joe's? Holy cow that is some of the best bacon ever. I was looking up recipes and viewing pictures of beef wrapped in bacon, chicken wrapped in bacon, bacon wrapped in bacon etc... And then I remembered, my mom's husband is a heart patient! So because I don't want any death in the family this year I'm going to just stick with my finely sliced proscuitto which I will roll up in my skirt steak and leave it at that. Bacon will have to wait.

But you guys helped me a lot, and really got the wheels turning, thanks so much. :notworthy:

#58 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

That's a fantastic menu vital signz! I love ham and just made one the other night. I like to slather ham with a honey and brown sugar glaze. I can't believe how much ham these people around here put away. I did manage to reserve some leftover for a ham, sweet potato and cabbage dish the following night.

Our Christmas breakfast morning dish is Monkey Bread and lots and lots of coffee.

#59 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

That sounds amazing gangster!! Especially the roast, mushrooms and potato dishes.

You'll have to report back and let us know how everything turned out.

:)

#60 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have a ham glaze that is composed of pineapple juice, brown sugar, local honey, and a bit of curry. It is ahhhhhhh-mazing and something I concocted when I was 19, it's been my favorite glaze to use ever since.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food, Dinner, Holidays, Christmas, Inspiration, Creativity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users