Can you taste the difference in water?

I was just thinking how when I was a child I didn't like water because how it tastes, but the adults would always say that it doesn't taste of anything. Now, I like water but it does have different taste from place to place or bottle to bottle. So my question is, can you taste the difference between different tap water or bottled water?

:)

I haved lived in places with excellent tap water (Oregon, East Texas), and terrible tap water (eastern Ohio, from the Ohio River, pregnant women are not recommended to drink to much tap water)

The thing that blows my mind is this. People still buy bottled water, even though to me its no better than tap in my area. If you look at the bottle, often times it will say "source: Dallas Municipal water supply", why the heck would I want to pay to drink Dallas water when our tap water is better!!!

• Like 3

I haved lived in places with excellent tap water (Oregon, East Texas), and terrible tap water (eastern Ohio, from the Ohio River, pregnant women are not recommended to drink to much tap water)

The thing that blows my mind is this. People still buy bottled water, even though to me its no better than tap in my area. If you look at the bottle, often times it will say "source: Dallas Municipal water supply", why the heck would I want to pay to drink Dallas water when our tap water is better!!!

Exactly! Half a liter is $1.23 and 1.000 liters is $7.29 in Denmark.

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

I can definitely tell the difference in waters' taste. Also if you get around the country enough the waters' hardness and softness can be problematic as well........ :yes: Taking a shower can be a real eyeopener.....

Absolutely. Down here most muncipalities superchlorinate the water twice a year, and unfiltered water has a definite taste to it. I have a Pur system on the kitchen faucet, and filter any water used for drinking or cooking. Edited by pjbear05

Oh yes, definitely! As part of our commitment to get out of debt my husband and I have stopped consuming bottled water. The tap water does have a much different taste, not one that I find very enjoyable but hey, it's free. We are going to invest in a little Britta pitcher to help out with the flavor a bit.

Oh yeah. I can't stand the tap water in Florida. The tap water at my house isn't bad. My parents live in northern Wisconsin, and have a well. Their water is amazing. It's as good as any bottled water out there. There are some spring fed lakes by their home. I wouldn't be surprised if their well is tapped into one of those springs.

Oh yes - I infinitely prefer the Kroger brand lime to the raspberry kiwi.

Is that not what you meant? ;) (I hate regular plain water - have to have flavored seltzer water).

Absolutely. Raised in the five boroughs of New York City, NYC has awesome tap water. Once I moved upstate - we needed a water softener and a Britta. I usually drink bottled water now. And past/present NYC dwellers will tell you that the taste of food in places differs because of the water. I believe that - absolutely.

I love water.

I hate the smell of city water, especially if they have just treated it. I will drink water from the hose at the barn rather than drink city water that is straight from the turd twirler. That's why I can't stand city water...

When I lived in Willamina/Grand Ronde 10 years ago, the water came straight from the mountain. No city water. It was delicious! So sweet and refreshing and it smelled clean.

I have an unknown water source hooked into our sprinkler system that I'm sure is not sourced from the city water lines. My guess is there's a lot of limestone in it from filtering through the ground.

London water is better than it used to be but not great. Not as bad as tap water in France though. Officially it is safe to drink, but I've been told it is very high in nitrates.