What Made You Laugh Today?

GeddysMullet

I so desperately need a laugh today. I watched this.

I am young enough that Saturday Night Live was past my bedtime (even on a Saturday) during that era, but I remember watching The Carol Burnett show, also during that same time period- must have been right at the end of that show’s run, about 1976-‘77...genius stuff. The cast she assembled and her writing were both just phenomenal.

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/KIZA7ghxWBQ

I am young enough that Saturday Night Live was past my bedtime (even on a Saturday) during that era, but I remember watching The Carol Burnett show, also during that same time period- must have been right at the end of that show’s run, about 1976-‘77...genius stuff. The cast she assembled and her writing were both just phenomenal.

It is to their credit that they were able to do these skits with straight faces.

They were professionals. Tim Conway was a real comedian, and so was she.

• Like 1

It is to their credit that they were able to do these skits with straight faces.

And sometimes they didn’t keep the straight faces as shown by Harvey Corman. Didn’t matter though as everyone on that show was top notch

• Like 4

Thank you, Lorraine! These comedy clips were awesome. Rev. Jim was such a good actor, I thought for years that he actually was some kind of stoner.

You are very welcome!

I was just watching Dan Akroyd and Steve Martin doing their two "wild and crazy guys" skit from a 1978 snl.

It's good to laugh. :)

• Like 4

And sometimes they didn’t keep the straight faces as shown by Harvey Corman. Didn’t matter though as everyone on that show was top notch

Honestly, I think those were sometimes the funniest moments- when you knew that they were just having a blast together.

• Like 5

Honestly, I think those were sometimes the funniest moments- when you knew that they were just having a blast together.

I was just thinking that.

• Like 3

It's odd that some of the best moments of one of the most popular shows of the '70s -- and a show that still casts a long shadow over pop culture today -- were these moments when even the pros realized the hilarity of what was happening, but at the same time, Lorne Michaels of SNL hates it, hates it, when the actors break character and laugh during a skit.

Clearly, his approach hasn't doomed SNL, but Burnett's approach hasn't hurt her legacy either!

• Like 3

Maybe he was raised to be naked when he drank milk...when he got up from bed at 3 in the morning...

pcG2tzV.gif

• Like 2

My advanced algebra students struggling to convert dollars to cents.

Me, from the text: How many cents is $74?

Them: 740? I googled it and it won't come up...

Can you say "booksmart"?

• Like 3

My advanced algebra students struggling to convert dollars to cents.

Me, from the text: How many cents is $74?

Them: 740? I googled it and it won't come up...

Can you say "booksmart"?

The kind of people that do well on Jeopardy but don't know how to check the oil in their car or even realize they should.

• Like 1