The bird is in the oven.............

thesweetscience

So...tonight we have a dinner for 45 people at a friend's house. I volunteered to make pork loin, and chose Bacon wrapped pork loin! http://shine.yahoo.c...9.html��Looking forward to making this!

See now that wouldn't worry me. I have made those before and they are the bomb!!

I prpped them for the oven. The are rubbed (garlic, oregano,thyme), wrapped (applewood smoked bacon), fried and colling for roasting later. Since you've done this before, how long do you cook them in the oven. The recipe says 8-10 minutes, which seems short to me.

So...tonight we have a dinner for 45 people at a friend's house. I volunteered to make pork loin, and chose Bacon wrapped pork loin! http://shine.yahoo.c...9.html��Looking forward to making this!

See now that wouldn't worry me. I have made those before and they are the bomb!!

I prpped them for the oven. The are rubbed (garlic, oregano,thyme), wrapped (applewood smoked bacon), fried and colling for roasting later. Since you've done this before, how long do you cook them in the oven. The recipe says 8-10 minutes, which seems short to me.

The bacon is precooked? At what temp does it say to cook the loin? 8-10 minutes seems short unless it is really thin.

When I do it they usually cook for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the loin. I cook it at 350 and I put the bacon on uncooked.

Whichever way you go just make sure to check your internal temps. 155 is is when you want to take it out and let it rest.

Edited by thesweetscience

Let me tell you what I went through with a six and a half pound chicken yesterday. And too bad you couldn't have been here to see me splatter myself with the drippings from the pan. It took hours for it to cook. I took it out Tuesday morning to defrost, but apparently it still wasn't completely defrosted. We finally took it out at one, cut off the done parts, put the rest back in, and ate.

But the meal was wonderful just the same.

If I put on a pot of coffee, would anyone here like to pop over and help me polish off the rest of my oh so delicious pumpkin cheesecake??

• Like 2

Let me tell you what I went through with a six and a half pound chicken yesterday. And too bad you couldn't have been here to see me splatter myself with the drippings from the pan. It took hours for it to cook. I took it out Tuesday morning to defrost, but apparently it still wasn't completely defrosted. We finally took it out at one, cut off the done parts, put the rest back in, and ate.

But the meal was wonderful just the same.

If I put on a pot of coffee, would anyone here like to pop over and help me polish off the rest of my oh so delicious pumpkin cheesecake??

I will have some coffee but no cheesecake please.

How about a nice dish of ice cream with home-made whipped cream? I even have a banana and chocolate syrup and can make you a banana split if you would prefer that!

I eat a very carb restricted diet so I would have to pass even though it all sounds delightful. Thank god I can still enjoy coffee.
  • Like 1

Everything turned out wonderfully (pork tenderloin) but I did have one hilarious mishap. In my defense, it really wasn't my fault, though. I was making a reduction of port wine, dried dark cherries, caramelized onions, and some of the drippings off the pork and suddenly noticed that the sauce had some weird lumps in it. I stirred a little faster and tried to break up the lumps.

Then I noticed that my spoonula (spoon/spatula combo) was significantly smaller than when I'd pulled it from its drawer! For whatever reason the damn thing was melting into the sauce! The heat was below "simmer" and the sauce, while a little on the acidic side from the port and cherries, wasn't like a vinaigrette or anything.

But the pork was nice and juicy and tender and we were fine without sauce. :)

• Like 1

Everything turned out wonderfully (pork tenderloin) but I did have one hilarious mishap. In my defense, it really wasn't my fault, though. I was making a reduction of port wine, dried dark cherries, caramelized onions, and some of the drippings off the pork and suddenly noticed that the sauce had some weird lumps in it. I stirred a little faster and tried to break up the lumps.

Then I noticed that my spoonula (spoon/spatula combo) was significantly smaller than when I'd pulled it from its drawer! For whatever reason the damn thing was melting into the sauce! The heat was below "simmer" and the sauce, while a little on the acidic side from the port and cherries, wasn't like a vinaigrette or anything.

Needed that :LOL:

Sooooo.....How did it turn out?

Off the chain (I'm so thug!). WE rubbed the loins with baked garlic, thyme and orgenao, then wrapped them in smoked apple bacon. I used a fry pan to cook the bacon around the loins, then set them aside till dinner. The 8-10 minutes thing was weird, and the loins were not even close by them. So I spli them, cooked another 12-15, and they were perfect. Everyone raved about the recipe.

Off the chain (I'm so thug!). WE rubbed the loins with baked garlic, thyme and orgenao, then wrapped them in smoked apple bacon. I used a fry pan to cook the bacon around the loins, then set them aside till dinner. The 8-10 minutes thing was weird, and the loins were not even close by them. So I spli them, cooked another 12-15, and they were perfect. Everyone raved about the recipe.

If you would have just done the whole thing for 30 minutes you would have been fine. Glad it turned out for you!!. I may have to make some of that next week.

Needed that :LOL:

Funny story, Mara! Too bad, though, asthe suace sounded fabulous! :drool:

I brined a turkey this year for the first time. Lots of extra work and it was fantastic as usual, but so is my turkey that is not brined.

So, next year it will be the frozen 47¢ LB turkey from the grocery store and not the $1.01LB fresh turkey from Costco.

Sometimes the position (rack height) of the bird in the oven can cause it to brown to quickly and the temperature of the bird before you put it in the oven plays a very large roll. An instant read food thermometer should be required in every decent kitchen. They work much better than the one you stick in at the beginning.

Mara.......I am not to fond of the traditional sweet potato with marshmallows on top. But I do love sweet potato casserole. I don't make it. I get it at the BBQ place in town when we order out.

• Like 1

We had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends, but bought a turkey for Sunday dinner. It went well, except for the nasty sauage stuffing recipie Karen had me try-too wet, too greasy and not enough bread. So when the display screen for the Bluetooth in my car lit up with the home phone I knew-"Nope, Karen doesn't want leftovers anytime soon." We scarfed down a deep dish pizza from Hungry Howie's, and all was well. Edited by pjbear05

We had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends, but bought a turkey for Sunday dinner. It went well, except for the nasty sauage stuffing recipie Karen had me try-too wet, too greasy and not enough bread. So when the display screen for the Bluetooth in my car lit up with the home phone I knew-"Nope, Karen doesn't want leftovers anytime soon." We scarfed down a deep dish pizza from Hungry Howie's, and all was well.

This is one reason I rarely use a recipe. Most things like stuffing are so simple, no instructions are actually required. Imagination and knowing what goes with what is more important.

To be clear. When baking, a recipe or formula is required. Exact measurements in baking can be the difference between a 6" high cake vs a 1" high cake.

And never try anything new on guests. If you must try new things, test them first. Before you serve them to quests.