The bird is in the oven.............

thesweetscience

The bell for the pumpkin pie went off here, so the turkey's next. After that is the sweet potato casserole, a Southern family favorite made with pecans, bourbon and marshmallows. The house smells good enough to restore gratitude in even my most cynical of impulses. :D
  • Like 1

The bell for the pumpkin pie went off here, so the turkey's next. After that is the sweet potato casserole, a Southern family favorite made with pecans, bourbon and marshmallows. The house smells good enough to restore gratitude in even my most cynical of impulses. :D

Feeling a little mellow today are we? There is always tomorrow....... :P
  • Like 1

At this point in life............ I just go where I am told and eat whatever my family members have been kind enough to prepare.. :yes:
  • Like 3

Just got a look at my bro-in-law's bird, via Skype. They are in Chi-town and are eating early. The bird looked splendid!

TSS, best of luck on your first bird! Did you stuff it?

Marshmallows? :eh: That's a first time I have heard of potatoes and marshmallows in the same dish :P

Just got a look at my bro-in-law's bird, via Skype. They are in Chi-town and are eating early. The bird looked splendid!

The meat is pulling away from the bone on the legs and the wings already. Its only been in there for an hour and a half. :facepalm:

I'm screwed............

Marshmallows? :eh: That's a first time I have heard of potatoes and marshmallows in the same dish :P

You have never had yams/sweet potatoes with marshmallows? How sad for you.
  • Like 4

The meat is pulling away from the bone on the legs and the wings already. Its only been in there for an hour and a half. :facepalm:

I'm screwed............

That can only mean that it's not dry. Sounds delicious to me, but it might not be what you're after. The meat pulling from the bone, that is ;)

I'm screwed............

That can only mean that it's not dry. Sounds delicious to me, but it might not be what you're after. The meat pulling from the bone, that is ;)

But its supposed to cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Should the meat pull away from the bone already? I am sure the breast and thighs aren't to temperature yet.

It smells good at least.

Well, I have relatives from the North, South and Midwest. The South still does the holiday best.

I'm screwed............

But its supposed to cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Should the meat pull away from the bone already? I am sure the breast and thighs aren't to temperature yet.

It smells good at least.

Do you have a thermometer?

Do you have these, AG? http://kidoing.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fotolia_7142268_l1.jpg?w=300&h=200 Edited by goose

Do you have these, AG? http://kidoing.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fotolia_7142268_l1.jpg?w=300&h=200

Not sure if my local grocery has them but I have tried them before. To me they taste like a crossover between carrots and potatoes. I like them a lot :)

• Like 1

No offense and I am probably in a minority here, but that marshmallow/sweet potato dish is one of the most vomitable concoctions anyone has EVER dreamed up. It's banned from my house.

No offense and I am probably in a minority here, but that marshmallow/sweet potato dish is one of the most vomitable concoctions anyone has EVER dreamed up. It's banned from my house.

:moon:

:moon:

So, how'd the bird turn out?

• Like 1

I'm screwed............

It smells good at least.

I do, I used it and the bird was done. It was supposed to cook for 3 to 4 hrs but it was done after two.

It was pretty good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

• Like 1

I'm screwed............

It smells good at least.

I do, I used it and the bird was done. It was supposed to cook for 3 to 4 hrs but it was done after two.

It was pretty good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

:dweez:

I'm not going to rain on anyones parade here, but someone I know tried making a complete thanksgiving feast, and she said that most of it was too sweet and not balanced. She did however follow some recipes but maybe something went wrong? Is thanksgiving food mostly sweet?