What is your favorite Lerxst Solo?

agubrizbassman

I'm also a big fan of his leadwork throughout "2112." That chord he strikes at 3:05 into "Overture," for example, is absolutely filthy.

Oh man, I don't even have to look that chord up. I know exactly what chord you're talking about! It positively drips with filthy stank. Love it!

Has anyone mentioned "Ghost of a Chance" on here yet? That solo gives me shivers!

Edit: Duh. Found it, Todem,

Edited by Disk98

No-One at the Bridge - This solo brilliantly shows why he is the best guitarist in the world. It's dripping with soul and emotion. It's not Eddie Van Halen hard, but you can feel it. Too bad it's in the middle of a song Rush never plays anymore

Runner Ups:

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato

In general, I'm not a huge fan of guitar solos

La Villa

and

Freewill

Bravado

Presto (yep, short but sweet, great feel)

I agree on "Presto" - for all the reasons above.

Also, that C9 (some call it a Csus2) chord he arpeggiates 58 times at the beginning of "La Villa" is the first chord I ever learned (and quickly discovered you could play it on the 3rd, 8th, and 10th fret). Beautiful arpeggio there - anad a chord that never fails to produce instant dreamy states when played.

LVS, and The Analog Kid top the list for me.

When I learned the setlist for CA featured The Analog Kid, I was like a kid at Christmas: "OMG, I'm going to get to hear that solo LIVE again!"

LVS, and The Analog Kid top the list for me.

When I learned the setlist for CA featured The Analog Kid, I was like a kid at Christmas: "OMG, I'm going to get to hear that solo LIVE again!"

I completely lost my mind when they played it at my unspoilered first Clockwork Angels show. It was one of my Top 3 most-hoped-for songs. That solo was shivers and bliss live, every single time :yes:

One more for La Villa. Weakness as well for Red Barchetta, Liemlight, Different Strings, Bytor, and that bit in Hemsipheres right before Geddy sings "The universe divided as the heart and mind ..."
  • Like 1

I don't know that I have a favourite because they're all so very different yet wonderful. Here are some of my favourites. La Villa, Here Again, Necromancer pt 2, Red sector A, Mission, Different Strings, In the End, Working man, The Pass. I'm sure I left some out. Edited by Shemp

La Villa Strangiatto

Limelight

yyz

The Spirit of radio

Kid gloves

Turn the Page

The Analog Kid

Freewill

The Anarchist

The Camera Eye

Subdivisions

Honerable Mention:

Mission Live

Bravado Live

Every Acoustic Solo from Broon's Bane to Peke's Repose!

• Like 1

This is by far the best version of "Bravado" and one of Alex's most pathos-laden solos.

Edited by coventry

Today, I remembered how much I love the solo at the end of Bacchus Plateau. :haz: Sadly faded out! :rage:

I swear the first time I heard Bacchus Plateau at the beginning of the solo I thought it was a flute or a piccolo or something. To this day, I've never heard anyone make such a clean, high pitched sound with a guitar like that. I completely agree that is just an amazing solo that I wish was extended another minute or two.

Lerxst in Wonderland

Limelight

The Anarchist

Between The Wheels

Time And Motion

Subdivisions

Cut To The Chase

Red Barchetta

Cold Fire

Ceiling Unlimited

Xanadu (both the volume swell one at the beginning, and the one towards the end)

The Grand Finale (ATWAS version)

In The End (ATWAS version)

Lock and Key

Something For Nothing

Freewill

Faithless

Red Tide

Ghost Of A Chance

The Garden

Just to throw one out there that no one has mentioned yet, the solo from What You're Doing has some killer licks that really speak to me in it. It's one of those songs that makes me make weird faces when I'm in my car alone listening to it. :haz: Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

Marathon

La Villa

Natural Science (I never hear anyone praise this solo)

YYZ

Lock and Key (Another one I never hear mentioned much)

Ghost of a Chance

2112 - Overture

Hemispheres - Cygnus

Way too many other notable examples are being left out of course, but Alex has plenty of great moments.

No one at the Bridge

Not sure why exactly because it's not all flashy and whatnot but it always moves me. I see it as a very early sign that Alex can do more than just shred.

• Like 1

In no particular order:

No One at the Bridge

Cygnus Bringer of Balance

Xanadu

The Big Money

The Fountain

The Necromancer

Kid Gloves

Emotion Detector

The Analog Kid

Presentation