Hunger Games: Catching Fire

workingcinderellaman

May take the kids this weekend. I read all of the books. Liked the 2nd one as well as the first. Wasn't so big on the 3rd book.
  • Like 2

I saw it last night and thought it was well done, very suspenseful and they stopped the jerky camera angles that they used in Hunger Games thank goodness. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I may go see it tomorrow. I haven't seen the first one but its on netflix so I might watch it tonight.

I have heard nothing but good things.

Okay I just finished the first movie and all I can say is what kind of twisted and depraved mind would even come up with a story like this? I am not sure I want to see the second one.

I may go see it tomorrow. I haven't seen the first one but its on netflix so I might watch it tonight.

Okay I just finished the first movie and all I can say is what kind of twisted and depraved mind would even come up with a story like this? I am not sure I want to see the second one.

I've only seen the first one. I thought it was like a made-for-tv type flick with a Running Man vibe. It wasn't bad but it was something I felt I could've skipped
  • Like 1

It is a dark look at the future and meant to be a cautionary tale. There is a good article about the author and her inspiration for writing the books, her father was in the Vietnam War. http://www.independe...ge-8958113.html

A lot of people are upset by the violence in the books but I think it is a good morality lesson about power and the nature of war. When people sit around and play video games and kill opponents, that's just considered entertainment yet these books are too violent? Guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The author wanted to make young readers think about how this could happen and look at our own current situation, good way to make them contemplate the state of things today IMHO

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Just got back from seeing it.

It's BRILLIANT. :notworthy: I was completely riveted from start to finish, and that rarely happens when I watch a film in the theater. I don't remember one hiccup or awkward moment in the film's pacing, editing, or dialogue. One of the smoothest films I've ever seen.

Awesome casting, with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amanda Plummer making excellent appearances. Woody Harrelson has shown me that he's not just a goofball comedy movie actor. Lenny Kravitz is too cool as Cinna, and Stanley Tucci is ridiculously creepy/good as Caesar. Donald Sutherland.....well, he's DONALD SUTHERLAND. He is always great.

She's the darling of Hollywood these days, but Jennifer Lawrence deserves the praise. She delivers a masterful performance. Her intensity is remarkable.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10. I'm too freaking stubborn to give out perfect scores, although I should do it on this one.... :bitchslap:

• Like 2

The author, Suzanne Collins, blended ancient and modern facets of human behavior as her inspiration to write the Hunger Games novels. The ancient Greek stories of sacrificing children to the Minotaur, the Roman gladiator games, and modern-day reality TV shows (which are broadcast along with news stories on wars happening around the world).

Just my opinion, but Collins is no more "depraved" than George Orwell or Aldous Huxley were when they wrote their dystopian novels. They all try to warn us of the tyrannies and destructive regimes that COULD happen if we allow it......

• Like 2

I've only seen the first one. I thought it was like a made-for-tv type flick with a Running Man vibe. It wasn't bad but it was something I felt I could've skipped

So you're saying it's not the first dytsopian novel written or movie made? :o

So you're saying it's not the first dytsopian novel written or movie made? :o

Shocking isn't it?

It is a dark look at the future and meant to be a cautionary tale. There is a good article about the author and her inspiration for writing the books, her father was in the Vietnam War. http://www.independe...ge-8958113.html

A lot of people are upset by the violence in the books but I think it is a good morality lesson about power and the nature of war. When people sit around and play video games and kill opponents, that's just considered entertainment yet these books are too violent? Guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The author wanted to make young readers think about how this could happen and look at our own current situation, good way to make them contemplate the state of things today IMHO

You know what I think inspired the author more than video games was reality television, specifically the TV show "Survivor". If you take that show to the extreme, you get the Hunger Games.

May have to give them a shot! I enjoy classic sci-fi, its about time I started looking towards more modern stuff.

Just saw the final movie this weekend. I did not read the books, but I called the final shot Katniss took. :)

As did I.

Never read the books. I knew while watching Mockingjay Part 1 that no one could be trusted. I knew that there would be betrayals within betrayals, schemes within schemes....

Just saw the final movie this weekend. I did not read the books, but I called the final shot Katniss took. :)

As did I.

Never read the books. I knew while watching Mockingjay Part 1 that no one could be trusted. I knew that there would be betrayals within betrayals, schemes within schemes....

...in a spiral array...