Which system are you going to (did you already) buy, and why?

LedRush

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite current console maker?

• Nintendo
    • Microsoft
    • Sony
  2. 2. What console of this generation will you (do you) own?

• Wii U
    • XBox One
    • PS4

And for those titles that are available on PC and console (I'm thinking Fallout/Elder Scrolls series specifically) the PC version is made infinitely better though the modding community.

Oh yes. Mods are amazing. There's nothing quite like playing GTAIV as spiderman driving a working time travelling DeLorean with carmageddon mode on.

And for those titles that are available on PC and console (I'm thinking Fallout/Elder Scrolls series specifically) the PC version is made infinitely better though the modding community.

Oh yes. Mods are amazing. There's nothing quite like playing GTAIV as spiderman driving a working time travelling DeLorean with carmageddon mode on.

That reminds me of Ready Player One. But I played about 40 minutes of GTAIV before going back to Mario Galaxy. I never played the game again.

That reminds me of Ready Player One. But I played about 40 minutes of GTAIV before going back to Mario Galaxy. I never played the game again.

GTAIV on its own is not the 10/10 masterpiece that it was hyped as -- it takes itself way too seriously and the city doesn't give you the sense of wanting to be in it and explore like previous games. Mods make the game hilarious. That's the great thing about mods, they can make mediocre games great and great games better. One argument is that developers can get lazy and rely on the modding community to make the game good but modding communities only tend to form around games that are already fun.

• Like 1

I agree with TSS; I prefer PCs and I always have. I have a Wii now (unused for well over a year), a Nintendo something-er-other back in the early 90s, an Atari 2600 back in the early 80s, Coleco Pong back in the late 70s - I've played console games for a while. My PC gaming experience goes just as far back. I've never seen a game like Mass Effect or Crusader Kings II on a console and I think Call of Duty is a better play on the PC.

IMO, the PC is a superior platform due to it's processing power and it's granularity of control, especially if you build or buy a gaming machine. I am a strategy gamer by default and I've always thought the titles on the PC were better plays than the ones on the consoles.

Mass Effect was originally a console game.

Strategy games probably are better on the PC, but they bore me to tears. Probably the last PC game I played was Dune in 1993. That was fun before I discovered beer and sex.

Mass Effect was a console game? I learned something new today. Thanks. :) :cheers:

I agree with TSS; I prefer PCs and I always have. I have a Wii now (unused for well over a year), a Nintendo something-er-other back in the early 90s, an Atari 2600 back in the early 80s, Coleco Pong back in the late 70s - I've played console games for a while. My PC gaming experience goes just as far back. I've never seen a game like Mass Effect or Crusader Kings II on a console and I think Call of Duty is a better play on the PC.

IMO, the PC is a superior platform due to it's processing power and it's granularity of control, especially if you build or buy a gaming machine. I am a strategy gamer by default and I've always thought the titles on the PC were better plays than the ones on the consoles.

Mass Effect was originally a console game.

Strategy games probably are better on the PC, but they bore me to tears. Probably the last PC game I played was Dune in 1993. That was fun before I discovered beer and sex.

It's the immersion that consoles lack. For me the kind of games I like are either horrible on a console or not available at all. I like RTS, MMORPG's and MMOFPS games and these non existent or poorly done on consoles. I don't want more story than game and I don't want the action dictated and spoon fed to me.

This explains it. I won't play RTS, MMORPGs and I've never even heard of MMOFPS (and I won't play them either, now that I know about them). I want platformers, action adventure (as long as the game isn't too long or too sandbox) and casual games (sports, racing, fighting). I don't have time to commit 60 hours to a game, and I sure as heck don't have time to devote to a game that is endless.

• Like 1

None. PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

IMO

People told me in 1991 how PCs would put consoles out of business. Then again in 1998. Then again in 2005.

Anyway, I've never felt the need to have a PC for gaming...

I never said they would put consoles out of business. They just provide gaming that is 100 times more entertaining and challenging than a console. This is probably why consoles are so popular.

All just my opinion of course.

Well that and mods. Mods are HUGE. Think about all the crap they've put into Skyrim alone.

That being said, I still have an old PC and will hang onto my 360 for awhile. No point in buying the next flashiest thing when I already like and own a great gaming system with tons of games I still play all the time (Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, Spelunky, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 2, hell even Bejeweled.)

The only shitty thing about PCs is that they're outdated in 2 months and you have to go buy more crap just to keep up with the latest software. I think that's a big edge towards consoles (IMO).

The only shitty thing about PCs is that they're outdated in 2 months and you have to go buy more crap just to keep up with the latest software. I think that's a big edge towards consoles (IMO).

That's only if you want to stay cutting edge. Consoles are outdated months before they're even released. My friend invested $800 in a tower 5 years ago and he still plays most games on medium with only $200 investment in a new graphics card just recently to play battlefield 4 on high. He didn't have to upgrade, as he could still passed the minimum specs for a game that is considered to be next gen. I was running some of the more popular games on a laptop that was considered to be obsolete years ago until it died in September.

You don't need to invest in it all the time, that's only if you want to keep playing games and oh-my-god-i-can-see-fossils-moving settings. The best part is that you don't need a personal computer aftwards as you've already made the investment in one, unlike a console where you make that $300 payment for the base system and then you still need a pc for general use.

• Like 1

That's only if you want to stay cutting edge. Consoles are outdated months before they're even released. My friend invested $800 in a tower 5 years ago and he still plays most games on medium with only $200 investment in a new graphics card just recently to play battlefield 4 on high. He didn't have to upgrade, as he could still passed the minimum specs for a game that is considered to be next gen. I was running some of the more popular games on a laptop that was considered to be obsolete years ago until it died in September.

You don't need to invest in it all the time, that's only if you want to keep playing games and oh-my-god-i-can-see-fossils-moving settings. The best part is that you don't need a personal computer aftwards as you've already made the investment in one, unlike a console where you make that $300 payment for the base system and then you still need a pc for general use.

I play a lot of newer games and my machine is almost 5 years old. I haven't upgraded the GPU. I have decided I am okay playing newer games with graphics set to medium but as you say for a couple hundred dollars I could upgrade the GPU and use this machine for another 4 or 5 years. I just rebuilt it with windows 8 a month ago and it runs great.

I have a PS3 and Xbox. I like the Kinect for some games. I prefer the PS3 controller and have games like Madden 25 that looks great. Gran Turismo. But the BEST racing game is Forza Motorsport and is only available for Xbox.

Nothing beats playing football or racing on a huge HD TV screen!!!

After the bugs are worked out I will get a PS4

Edited by Tom Sawyer

None. PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

IMO

People told me in 1991 how PCs would put consoles out of business. Then again in 1998. Then again in 2005.

Anyway, I've never felt the need to have a PC for gaming...

I never said they would put consoles out of business. They just provide gaming that is 100 times more entertaining and challenging than a console. This is probably why consoles are so popular.

All just my opinion of course.

Well that and mods. Mods are HUGE. Think about all the crap they've put into Skyrim alone.

That being said, I still have an old PC and will hang onto my 360 for awhile. No point in buying the next flashiest thing when I already like and own a great gaming system with tons of games I still play all the time (Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, Spelunky, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 2, hell even Bejeweled.)

See I don't even do mods. I just like games that can't be found on consoles.

XBOX One looks scary. The fact they want you to be online all the time and have your camera on all the time seems way too invading.

They quickly backtracked this about a week after E3. You can turn off Kinect and it has the same DRM as PS4: discs only.

I have owned a Wii U since February and have never regretted the decision. Sure the launch library was a little weak, but as a university student I couldn't spend much more time than playing the odd minigame on Nintendo Lan before bed and clearing a world in super Mario world each weekend. Now all the sudden amazing titles are coming out the wazoo and I barely have the money to buy them, let alone play them frequently. All I can say is I will be very busy come Christmas break.

In regards to the other two systems. I probably will just watch video's online for PS4, just can't justify dropping $400 when there are Wii U games and other items to save up for. But if a Crash Bandicoot game comes out as an exclusive, then I will buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe in a couple of years I will pick one up when the price is down. I will never buy an XBOX One. I have always been dissatisfied with my XBOX 360, and only keep it around for Rock Band. I hate their restrictive online service. My mom was being charged for Gold for 5 months without me even realising I still had it after I bought it for $1 for a month. It then took about 30 minutes just to switch back to silver (at least the call support guy was nice). And now of course Microsoft has made plenty of crappy decisions that firmly cement them as a system not for gamers. There is only one exclusive they have that is even remotely interesting to me, so again I will watch it online.

I think I might pick up a 3DS too soon. Mainly for Mario games, but also so my little brother and I can game together.

I have owned a Wii U since February and have never regretted the decision. Sure the launch library was a little weak, but as a university student I couldn't spend much more time than playing the odd minigame on Nintendo Lan before bed and clearing a world in super Mario world each weekend. Now all the sudden amazing titles are coming out the wazoo and I barely have the money to buy them, let alone play them frequently. All I can say is I will be very busy come Christmas break.

In regards to the other two systems. I probably will just watch video's online for PS4, just can't justify dropping $400 when there are Wii U games and other items to save up for. But if a Crash Bandicoot game comes out as an exclusive, then I will buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe in a couple of years I will pick one up when the price is down. I will never buy an XBOX One. I have always been dissatisfied with my XBOX 360, and only keep it around for Rock Band. I hate their restrictive online service. My mom was being charged for Gold for 5 months without me even realising I still had it after I bought it for $1 for a month. It then took about 30 minutes just to switch back to silver (at least the call support guy was nice). And now of course Microsoft has made plenty of crappy decisions that firmly cement them as a system not for gamers. There is only one exclusive they have that is even remotely interesting to me, so again I will watch it online.

I think I might pick up a 3DS too soon. Mainly for Mario games, but also so my little brother and I can game together.

Special Edition Zelda 3DS XL releases this Friday. If that's not incentive, I don't know what is.

If I had to end up choosing a console, it would be a WiiU. It's the only one that has a primary focus on games and is the only console currently capable of delivering a unique experience that can't be done on PC. The problem is that no one is developing for it because of it's unique input method and low horsepower compared to the competing consoles. The console has so much potential but there is barely any worthwhile software available. After the disappointments that were the Wii and 3DS and Nintendo's slew of Mediocre and safe direction with first party titles since the New super mario bros franchise I can't justify getting on board with it though. I want a WiiU, it is a lot of fun, but hardware is useless without good software. Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 1

If I had to end up choosing a console, it would be a WiiU. It's the only one that has a primary focus on games and is the only console currently capable of delivering a unique experience that can't be done on PC. The problem is that no one is developing for it because of it's unique input method and low horsepower compared to the competing consoles. The console has so much potential but there is barely any worthwhile software available. After the disappointments that were the Wii and 3DS and Nintendo's slew of Mediocre and safe direction with first party titles since the New super mario bros franchise I can't justify getting on board with it though. I want a WiiU, it is a lot of fun, but hardware is useless without good software.

If you thought the Wii and the 3DS were disappointments, then don't get the Wii-U. I happen to think the 3DS and the Wii were absolutely amazing, so the Wii-U was a no-brainer for me. And with the raves that the new Mario title is getting, I'm very excited for this weekend.

If I had to end up choosing a console, it would be a WiiU. It's the only one that has a primary focus on games and is the only console currently capable of delivering a unique experience that can't be done on PC. The problem is that no one is developing for it because of it's unique input method and low horsepower compared to the competing consoles. The console has so much potential but there is barely any worthwhile software available. After the disappointments that were the Wii and 3DS and Nintendo's slew of Mediocre and safe direction with first party titles since the New super mario bros franchise I can't justify getting on board with it though. I want a WiiU, it is a lot of fun, but hardware is useless without good software.

If you thought the Wii and the 3DS were disappointments, then don't get the Wii-U. I happen to think the 3DS and the Wii were absolutely amazing, so the Wii-U was a no-brainer for me. And with the raves that the new Mario title is getting, I'm very excited for this weekend.

Everyone raves about every Mario game, but rarely justify it with anything other than being the typical mario platforming that's still fun. I find they're uninspired rehashes of their superior SNES brethren with 3D added in to justify a full price tag. The last truly great core Mario games were Galaxy and Sunshine. Galaxy had some really cool levels but it didn't come anywhere near having the vibrant and seemingly alive world that Sunshine created. I bought Wii with a broken disc drive for $20 so I could play smash bros and No More Heroes.

Give me a proper 3D Mario game that doesn't try to just be another 2D mario rendered in a 3D environment to cut corners and I will RUN to the WiiU. Give me something that's designed like Mario Sunshine, plays with the intensity of Star Fox 64 and give those of us who want a challenge to have one like in Golden Sun (or the later optional levels of sunshine where you didn't have flood). Give me a Pokemon game that actually shows that the video game franchise is a decade old and that is has come a long way (it hasn't moved much) or just give me a new IP that has promise (the last original IPs being Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Chibi Robo from the Gamecube's launch) and I will gladly pick up a WiiU.

Nintendo shows no intention of doing even one of those things. They have forgotten that the audience that put them where they are (hint: it's not the audience that only plays Wii Fit) and this is why their profits drop each year. The horrible marketing for the WiiU doesn't help either.

Weird, Quotes are not working for me at the moment (and just a day after the enter button started working again (typical)). In response to LedRush, it might be something that will get me a lot of flack, but I have never been a fan of the Zelda Series. Maybe it's the theme, maybe it's the more realistic feel (I like my games cartoony, beautiful, but cartoony (think Crash Bandicoot)), or maybe it's just that I prefer games that move pretty quick (and man did Ocarina Of Time feel slow in terms of Link's Movement). So no I don't think that set is on my shopping list. I also think I will wait until April when university ends and the releases of Wii U games calm down so that I would have more time to focus on it.

Give me a proper 3D Mario game that doesn't try to just be another 2D mario rendered in a 3D environment to cut corners and I will RUN to the WiiU.

Best get running, son. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/super-mario-3d-world/trailers

Everyone raves about every Mario game, but rarely justify it with anything other than being the typical mario platforming that's still fun. I find they're uninspired rehashes of their superior SNES brethren with 3D added in to justify a full price tag. The last truly great core Mario games were Galaxy and Sunshine. Galaxy had some really cool levels but it didn't come anywhere near having the vibrant and seemingly alive world that Sunshine created. I bought Wii with a broken disc drive for $20 so I could play smash bros and No More Heroes.

Give me a proper 3D Mario game that doesn't try to just be another 2D mario rendered in a 3D environment to cut corners and I will RUN to the WiiU. Give me something that's designed like Mario Sunshine, plays with the intensity of Star Fox 64 and give those of us who want a challenge to have one like in Golden Sun (or the later optional levels of sunshine where you didn't have flood). Give me a Pokemon game that actually shows that the video game franchise is a decade old and that is has come a long way (it hasn't moved much) or just give me a new IP that has promise (the last original IPs being Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Chibi Robo from the Gamecube's launch) and I will gladly pick up a WiiU.

Nintendo shows no intention of doing even one of those things. They have forgotten that the audience that put them where they are (hint: it's not the audience that only plays Wii Fit) and this is why their profits drop each year. The horrible marketing for the WiiU doesn't help either.

If you look at the last games since Galaxy, they have not been getting raves. They've been getting very solid scores, which they absolutely deserve. But this game is getting Galaxy-level raves for the first time since Galaxy, that's very good news.

I've always loved Sunshine, even though that game is often the most criticized of the core Mario games. But you are really in the minority if you think it was better than Galaxy. To me, 3D mario has never been as good as 2D mario, despite all the innovations. But Galaxy was awesome, and is better than just about every entry in the series, whether 2d or 3d.

And it seems odd to me that you name drop No More Heroes, which was an abysmally simple game. I like the humor and the over-the-top story, but it was broken at it's core.

On the Wii I found lots of intense games, challenging games, and even some great new RPGs. Not only that, we got awesome new gameplay. I don't care about Pokemon, but Nintendo has already done everything on your list, so that's why I say if you didn't like the Wii, don't get the Wii-U...you can't be pleased by Nintendo so you should give up.

Weird, Quotes are not working for me at the moment (and just a day after the enter button started working again (typical)). In response to LedRush, it might be something that will get me a lot of flack, but I have never been a fan of the Zelda Series. Maybe it's the theme, maybe it's the more realistic feel (I like my games cartoony, beautiful, but cartoony (think Crash Bandicoot)), or maybe it's just that I prefer games that move pretty quick (and man did Ocarina Of Time feel slow in terms of Link's Movement). So no I don't think that set is on my shopping list. I also think I will wait until April when university ends and the releases of Wii U games calm down so that I would have more time to focus on it.

I've never thought of Crash Bandicoot as being beautiful, but for the most beautiful cartoony game ever made, go get the Wii-U. http://www.metacriti...ker-hd/trailers

Edited by LedRush

If you look at the last games since Galaxy, they have not been getting raves. They've been getting very solid scores, which they absolutely deserve. But this game is getting Galaxy-level raves for the first time since Galaxy, that's very good news.

I've always loved Sunshine, even though that game is often the most criticized of the core Mario games. But you are really in the minority if you think it was better than Galaxy. To me, 3D mario has never been as good as 2D mario, despite all the innovations. But Galaxy was awesome, and is better than just about every entry in the series, whether 2d or 3d.

And it seems odd to me that you name drop No More Heroes, which was an abysmally simple game. I like the humor and the over-the-top story, but it was broken at it's core.

On the Wii I found lots of intense games, challenging games, and even some great new RPGs. Not only that, we got awesome new gameplay. I don't care about Pokemon, but Nintendo has already done everything on your list, so that's why I say if you didn't like the Wii, don't get the Wii-U...you can't be pleased by Nintendo so you should give up.

Galaxy was a great game and I'm not disputing that. I just liked Sunshine and 64 a bit more because I love the freedom they game and the world they created. Galaxy was great because the late game was actually the right difficulty and the levels were interesting.

Nintendo has not done any of the things I mentioned. Every Mario game since Galaxy has been New Super Mario Bros and 3D Land/World, which try (and fail) to recapture the glory of the 2D SNES games in some fashion. They have not made a single new IP since the gamecube unless you count the Mii/Wii____ things, which I don't because they're just these generic characters that serve no real purpose. Pokemon has barely changed in the last decade. I played Black (the last game I had played prior was Silver) and any strategy I used in Silver was just as effective in that game whether it was battling or raising stats. The gameplay and flow was identical with one gimmick which does very little (oooh 3v3). There were challenging games on the Wii, none of them were first party. There has not been a Star Fox game since the gamecube aside from command, which was universally deemed mediocre.

I liked No More Heroes because the abysmally simple game somehow worked. It got a little tedious towards the end but overall I found it to be a lot of fun and in line with the story and the rest of the game, which had plenty of charm to overlook the fact that it was no God of War or Devil May Cry. You could argue that Nintendo's franchises also have charm, but that charm wears off when you just keep rotating Mario and Link every other year more or less endlessly. You know how the Metroid series took a break and then came back a decade later with Prime and Fusion? Everyone loved them because prime came back with something new and Fusion came back with the same charm after a long absence (read as: not milked).

I'm glad you found lots of games you enjoyed on the Wii. I played many of them and most I just abandoned really quickly. I liked Twilight Princess, but at one point it finally clicked that the game had an almost identical structure/sequence of events as ocarina but instead of being a kid you start off an an adult and become a wolf. I'm harsh on Nintendo because it's one thing to rehash the same thing over and over, it's another to ONLY do that for over a decade. At least Sakurai still knows how to make a proper smash bros game even is Miyamotto and his team are afraid of taking risks.