bass players - using amplitude 3

maxbeckmann

hi guys,

i'm interested to know if any of you is using IK multimedia amplitube 3 ? i do. i'm wondering what settings do you use in order to emulate geddy's sound ? ("new" geddy, fender geddy, not rickenbacker geddy)

be as specific as you can be in your settings.

i personally run two orange AD200 through two gallien kruger but i am not really satisfied with it.

any toughts ?

You're recording I assume? I saw the Orange and was thinking speaker cabinets. You're not running your sound through a PC for live, are you?

correct. i use it for in home purposes. as i live in a small appartment, i cannot use any real amp. i play through amplitube and ear-monitors.

I'm not familiar with the program but my suggestions are mostly on your jazz bass (assuming it's a fender jazz).

Full volume on the bridge pickup

maybe 3 on the neck pick up

Tone tweaked toward treble

On your program's EQ scoop the mids so it's smiling at you a little

A hint of distortion - lost in the mix a little but prevalent on solo drops (like YYZ)

a nice chorus works in songs like that as well but I personally do not use the chorus when I perform

Set your action super low as you hear the frets rattle a little when Geddy plays

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have been using Amplitube for years and also have their Ampeg SVX plug which is bass specific.

Honestly though trying to emulate Geddy's tone will be difficult for several reasons. Mostly his fingers but also because his signal is split into a bunch of paths including DI and live amps. He has been using a Tech 21 box for distortion which is a DI (they make SansAmp), but there is also a clean DI signal and at least one amp signal too.

When I record bass these days I will mic an amp and run a DI then split the DI signal into at least one amp modeler of some kind (maybe 2) then mix those all together and maybe compress them a little. It's never a straight line. :)

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

I am not trying to discourage, just stating the facts. :) I mean I split my signal a bunch of times myself but I think what the take away here is the concept behind what he does is what is important, not the actual tones themselves. I think the new versions of Amplitube allow for stereo paths, but you can always open multiple instances on different AUX tracks in your DAW. Think about thngs like frequency; something for lows, low mids, hid mids and top. Also a path for distortion. Distortion allows the signal to cut through guitars for the most part where Geddy is concerned. More so than to give it an edge.

The goal is to experiment!

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Amplitube user here. I've not tried to replicate his tone, but I think the trick would be to match the actual bass (pickups) rather than find an emulation path. My short scale bass pickups have quite a bit of growl and come darn close to that MP Geddy tone (by accident/coincidence I suppose, rather than by design). My experience has been that the bulk of any guitars tone and presence begins with the pickup selection.

Trying to emulate that tone would require layers and layers of effects and emulated heads.

Edited by stoopid

Amplitube user here. I've not tried to replicate his tone, but I think the trick would be to match the actual bass (pickups) rather than find an emulation path. My short scale bass pickups have quite a bit of growl and come darn close to that MP Geddy tone (by accident/coincidence I suppose, rather than by design). My experience has been that the bulk of any guitars tone and presence begins with the pickup selection.

Trying to emulate that tone would require layers and layers of effects and emulated heads.

true. but i already have two tom brantley pickups installed. tom is the guy who works with geddy now.

i am glad to say he was very kind with me (since i knew nothing on pickups) and have done a top notched job.

i highly recommand his business. you can reach him via http://www.rewindpickup.com