Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

Whatever. It happens. If any thing was intentional they didn't rip off the SONG. Stuff like this happens all the time, since the beginning of writing music. The freakin' "ABC Song" is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".

And they both ripped off Happy Birthday

• Like 2

I'm just surprised Journey could riff like this! I picked them up on the Evolution album and hadnt't listened to anything before.

And yes, the two parts from the songs sound very much alike. However, as Schon is swimming in and out of his gold pieces, I doubt he suffered much from it.

Edit: It's like when someone back on tNMS accused Geddy's bass riff at the and of the live version of "CTTH" of being a rip off of the jam in "My Sharona".

You hooked up with Journey just a little to late. I am a fan of early Journey, but I can say that about just about every 70's band. :codger:
  • Like 1

I defy anyone to present an artist that doesn't borrow, rip-off or steal. To me this is a non-issue. Totally different songs.

Non-issue? Are you being serious? The power chord, arpeggio-type and Chorus effect here are not only the foundation for the entire Hemispheres album, but strongly influential in Permanent Waves, and to a lesser degree, MP. It is NOT unique only to a specific passage in Xanadu. The artistic "sequestration" here manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most.

You gotta BS degree right? That's awesome bro. Artistic Sequestration. Good band name.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

I defy anyone to present an artist that doesn't borrow, rip-off or steal. To me this is a non-issue. Totally different songs.

Non-issue? Are you being serious? The power chord, arpeggio-type and Chorus effect here are not only the foundation for the entire Hemispheres album, but strongly influential in Permanent Waves, and to a lesser degree, MP. It is NOT unique only to a specific passage in Xanadu. The artistic "sequestration" here manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most.

You gotta BS degree right? That's awesome bro. Artistic Sequestration. Good band name.

Is it "go" time?

:popcorn:

Is it "go" time?
  • Like 1

You gotta BS degree right?

Ask 1001..

• Like 1

You gotta BS degree right?

Ask 1001..

I send salutations, sadly the chap seldom answers...sniff.
  • Like 1

GR79 I'm sorry for bringing this to light. I see your point of view entirely, believe me. But look at it this way: Neal Schon could not capitalize on it. He didn't know how to take the next step in the progressional wheel. While Alex, Geddy and Neil did. They turned a little 4 second riff into a well crafted opus called Xanadu and spring boarded into three other albums from there. Journey didn't even have the foresight to add words to the riff and left it as an instrumental jam over the same repeating riff. The way I see it. Neal Schon came up with a sketch and Rush created a masterpiece. :musicnote: :musicnote: :musicnote:

• Like 2

You are aware of the genesis of La Villa Strangiato? It's far from an original composition.

• Like 1

You are aware of the genesis of La Villa Strangiato? It's far from an original composition.

Don't do it man! GR79 might slash his wrist! Honestly, I can't believe this hasn't been discussed here before.

Edited by losingit2k

GR79 I'm sorry for bringing this to light. I see your point of view entirely, believe me. But look at it this way: Neal Schon could not capitalize on it. He didn't know how to take the next step in the progressional wheel. While Alex, Geddy and Neil did. They turned a little 4 second riff into a well crafted opus called Xanadu and spring boarded into three other albums from there. Journey didn't even have the foresight to add words to the riff and left it as an instrumental jam over the same repeating riff. The way I see it. Neal Schon came up with a sketch and Rush created a masterpiece. :musicnote: :musicnote: :musicnote:

L2K—whacking the hive I see?!?

L2K—whacking the hive I see?!?

Leave it to me right? :oops:

He'll probably end up hating everything Rush has recorded and extend his trolling further.

Nah, he just saw his father in the Santa suite that's all! Everything that came prior and after was still RUSH. Neal Schon had a gold nugget and placed it back in the river. Alex knew better! :Alex:

• Like 1

He'll probably end up hating everything Rush has recorded and extend his trolling further.

Nah, he just saw his father in the Santa suite that's all! Everything that came prior and after was still RUSH. Neal Schon had a gold nugget and placed it back in the river. Alex knew better! :Alex:

You're funny when you drink...what is the Cuban drink of choice?
  • Like 1

You're funny when you drink...what is the Cuban drink of choice?

Cuba Libre! Or a Corona. Neither which I partake of!

Three Magnum Opus Rush albums are now compromised, imo, but please go on anyway.

• Like 2

Three Magnum Opus Rush albums are now compromised, imo, but please go on anyway.

:laughing guy:

Nickel and Dime is a nothing instrumental that no one cares about. Neal Schon probably forgot all about it by 1978. Journey fans memories don't go back to 1977. This is the epitome of a non-issue.

The artistic "sequestration" manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most. How can you not see that? Oh wait...

• Like 2

Nickel and Dime is a nothing instrumental that no one cares about. Neal Schon probably forgot all about it by 1978. Journey fans memories don't go back to 1977. This is the epitome of a non-issue.

The artistic "sequestration" manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most. How can you not see that? Oh wait...

I don't even know if sequestration is a real word or not and if it is is it in context? It's something to do with horses isn't it? :eh: :hail:

• Like 1

Burning the midnight oil with Treeduck...speak oh wise man. He may be from Manchester, but he's right.
  • Like 1

I don't even know if sequestration is a real word or not and if it is is it in context? It's something to do with horses isn't it? :eh: :hail:

I just know it's something Obama doesn't like............. :codger:
  • Like 1