Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

Xanadu takes a bite off of the Journey song "Nickel and Dime" Listen at 1:04. The song was recorded before AFTK. Of course RUSH made the riff 1000% times better! I still think Neal Schon is still soar about the success of Xanadu since he actually mentioned it live the last time they played it about three tours ago.I think the show where Alex pulled of this elaborate caper was during the 2112 Tour on April 28th, 1976 in Flint Michigan at IMA auditorium. Decide for yourself!

Whatever. It happens. If any thing was intentional they didn't rip off the SONG. Stuff like this happens all the time, since the beginning of writing music. The freakin' "ABC Song" is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".
  • Like 5

I'm no musician Lord knows, but I don't hear it. BTW, I was a big Journey fan in high school. This was in and around the Infinity era. Saw them 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed them. :codger: I think my now grown daughter is a bigger fan than I am. She loves her Journey's greatest hits for sure.
  • Like 1

Sounds like the same chords and almost the same arpeggio. So yeah I guess I understand why Neil Schon is sour about it, but a complete rip off it's not.

Thanks TAG. Love that word in all it's forms.... :dweez: :codger:
  • Like 1

Sounds like the same chords and almost the same arpeggio. So yeah I guess I understand why Neil Schon is sour about it, but a complete rip off it's not.

Thanks TAG. Love that word in all it's forms.... :dweez: :codger:

It is a great word indeed :yes: :D

• Like 1

Alex LifeSchon.... Geez, this really is terribly disappointing for me. I always believed that this beautiful sound was exclusive to, and trademark of Alex. Its unmistakable.

It will taint me everytime I listen to Hemispheres. Wish I never found this thread. Feel sick....

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Alex LifeSchon.... Geez, this really is terribly disappointing for me. I always believed that this beautiful sound was exclusive to, and trademark of Alex. Its unmistakable.

It will taint me everytime I listen to Hemispheres. Wish I never found this thread. Feel sick....

http://towhichireplied.com/images/tinyviolin.jpg

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad055.gif

• Like 5

LOL!

Poor guy...

• Like 1

Alex is unapologetically notorious for being influenced by others. I'm pretty confident Schon made an impression on Alex in this case.

Very much the case here...The Police had a similar effect...The Edge as well. Holdsworth. We are influenced by our environment. Alex has professed not to be embarrassed by those connections, in fact, they're quite humbling to him.
  • Like 2

It's pretty damn close...but I really don't like to use the term "rip off" when it comes to music...actual music that is...I like to think of it as influential borrowing.
  • Like 2

Alex is unapologetically notorious for being influenced by others. I'm pretty confident Schon made an impression on Alex in this case.

Very much the case here...The Police had a similar effect...The Edge as well. Holdsworth. We are influenced by our environment. Alex has professed not to be embarrassed by those connections, in fact, they're quite humbling to him.

It's a big part of why they're so great. They're curious, they pay attention, and they love their craft. They also appreciate what other great musicians do and use it for inspiration. That's art, folks!

• Like 3

Does that explain why I thought I heard David Gilmour playing somewhere during the solo in "Here Again"?

• Like 2

Does that explain why I thought I heard David Gilmour playing somewhere during the solo in "Here Again"?

I always thought they brought David in for The Necromancer

• Like 2

I always thought they brought David in for The Necromancer

Well, they did say that Pink Floyd was one of the bands that influenced them. Then again, like The Beatles and Bob Dylan, everyone copies Pink Floyd. So it doesn't really count.

I'm just surprised Journey could riff like this! I picked them up on the Evolution album and hadnt't listened to anything before.

And yes, the two parts from the songs sound very much alike. However, as Schon is swimming in and out of his gold pieces, I doubt he suffered much from it.

Edit: It's like when someone back on tNMS accused Geddy's bass riff at the and of the live version of "CTTH" of being a rip off of the jam in "My Sharona".

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1

I defy anyone to present an artist that doesn't borrow, rip-off or steal. To me this is a non-issue. Totally different songs.

Non-issue? Are you being serious? The power chord, arpeggio-type and Chorus effect here are not only the foundation for the entire Hemispheres album, but strongly influential in Permanent Waves, and to a lesser degree, MP. It is NOT unique only to a specific passage in Xanadu. The artistic "sequestration" here manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most.

• Like 2

I defy anyone to present an artist that doesn't borrow, rip-off or steal. To me this is a non-issue. Totally different songs.

Non-issue? Are you being serious? The power chord, arpeggio-type and Chorus effect here are not only the foundation for the entire Hemispheres album, but strongly influential in Permanent Waves, and to a lesser degree, MP. It is NOT unique only to a specific passage in Xanadu. The artistic "sequestration" here manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most.

To quote the great Alex Life son - blah, blah, blah, blah...

You are incapable of enjoying music.

• Like 2

It's two chords that make up an entire section of a journey song, and a few seconds of the intro and start of the verse in Xanadu. Neal Schon didn't invent those chords, or the chorus pedal or the guitar/bass/drums/keys as the instrumentation of a rock group. Chances are if it sounds like rock music, it's been done before by someone else.
  • Like 2

You gotta BS degree right? That's awesome bro. Artistic Sequestration. Good band name.
  • Like 2