The 'listen to the song above you' thread.

KenJennings

Just though of an interesting idea to help people discover new music. In this thread, you can post youtube/streaming clips of any song you wish- but there is a caveat. If you want to post a song, you MUST listen to the song from the post before you (if the song is very long, and you don't like what you hear, you may stop after 5 minutes), and you MUST leave some comments on what you thought of it. Anyone can feel free to post comments in between- but if you want to post a song for someone to listen to, you have to listen to the last song posted first.

Try to post new/original songs, stuff that you think your fellow Rush fans might like, but may not have heard.

I'll kick things off:

• Like 1

Just a quick question and I hope this doesn't mess this thread up before it gains some steam.......... If you happen to be so technologically inept and can't even post, or upload, or download or backload or fronthole or whatever the term is and have been living under a rock for 25 + years.......... Can i still listen to the music anyway? Just wondering. Thanks for your response in advance :codger: :blush: :scared: Edited by Narpet

Just a quick question and I hope this doesn't mess this thread up before it gains some steam.......... If you happen to be so technologically inept and can't even post, or upload, or download or backload or fronthole or whatever the term is and have been living under a rock for 25 + years.......... Can i still listen to the music anyway? Just wondering. Thanks for you response in advance :codger: :blush: :scared:

"fronthole"..! :LOL:

Just a quick question and I hope this doesn't mess this thread up before it gains some steam.......... If you happen to be so technologically inept and can't even post, or upload, or download or backload or fronthole or whatever the term is and have been living under a rock for 25 + years.......... Can i still listen to the music anyway? Just wondering. Thanks for you response in advance :codger: :blush: :scared:

That was in Hobo"s honor :blush: :notworthy: Much respect
  • Like 1

I couldn't help it - best laugh I've had all day! :D

• Like 1

I couldn't help it - best laugh I've had all day! :D

My pleasure Babycat. I'll be here all week :rose:

All right fine I will be the first to actually respond to the song. I was at first a little skeptical when it started because I have an natural gag reflex to acoustic guitar, however once the other instruments came in and the electronic guitar started, it sounded really good. The guitar solo was enjoyable to, and I loved the distant organ at the end. I got a kind of vibe that this song could be used as a theme to a reality show though, as it sounded like something that would accompany a misfit about to do something weird but interesting in badlands or something like that. Either way good track. And now I challenge the next listener to take on They Might Be Giants' You're On Fire http://youtu.be/0gFECzmDLrI Only 7 months old, this song hooked me immediately as I bought my first album by them not knowing a single song off of it. This song did not disappoint. In my opinion it's too catchy to resist. And it uses all major chords while on a minor scale, those are my favorite kinds of songs. Any way enjoy next brave user. Oh yeah, there is an official music video for this too, but it is very weird (think singing meat and air guitar playing vegetables) and almost entirely unrelated to the song (as is the They Might Be Giants way) so I put up just the audio, but look it up if your interested. Edited by RushBoingo
  • Like 2

Okay I listened to the above song. It was nice, relaxing. Not really my cup of tea, probably not a band I would go out and explore their other music. I could see that many could like this song, reminds me a little bit of STP or some other 90s rock.

Currently at work, I think this thread is a great idea, I will post a song at a later time

@ song posted by KG

Edited by tx_rush

Of cour

It should automatically convert them when you post the link... but if it doesn't, surround the link with tags that say 'media' and '/media' in them. (Use square brackets instead of single quotes)

se you can listen to the music!

Thanks Ken. Somehow I figured I would be allowed too. Thanks to for the other info, if she didn't get it I did. :facepalm: :fuckinputer:

YES!!! YESSSS!!!! I will forever be known as fronthole girl!! (ok no, that sounds kinda gross.)

:hug2: made my day!

All right fine I will be the first to actually respond to the song. I was at first a little skeptical when it started because I have an natural gag reflex to acoustic guitar, however once the other instruments came in and the electronic guitar started, it sounded really good. The guitar solo was enjoyable to, and I loved the distant organ at the end. I got a kind of vibe that this song could be used as a theme to a reality show though, as it sounded like something that would accompany a misfit about to do something weird but interesting in badlands or something like that. Either way good track. And now I challenge the next listener to take on They Might Be Giants' You're On Fire http://youtu.be/0gFECzmDLrI Only 7 months old, this song hooked me immediately as I bought my first album by them not knowing a single song off of it. This song did not disappoint. In my opinion it's too catchy to resist. And it uses all major chords while on a minor scale, those are my favorite kinds of songs. Any way enjoy next brave user. Oh yeah, there is an official music video for this too, but it is very weird (think singing meat and air guitar playing vegetables) and almost entirely unrelated to the song (as is the They Might Be Giants way) so I put up just the audio, but look it up if your interested.

I LOVE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. THEY ARE F***ING ASTOUNDING IN EVERY WAY.

All right fine I will be the first to actually respond to the song. I was at first a little skeptical when it started because I have an natural gag reflex to acoustic guitar, however once the other instruments came in and the electronic guitar started, it sounded really good. The guitar solo was enjoyable to, and I loved the distant organ at the end. I got a kind of vibe that this song could be used as a theme to a reality show though, as it sounded like something that would accompany a misfit about to do something weird but interesting in badlands or something like that. Either way good track. And now I challenge the next listener to take on They Might Be Giants' You're On Fire http://youtu.be/0gFECzmDLrI Only 7 months old, this song hooked me immediately as I bought my first album by them not knowing a single song off of it. This song did not disappoint. In my opinion it's too catchy to resist. And it uses all major chords while on a minor scale, those are my favorite kinds of songs. Any way enjoy next brave user. Oh yeah, there is an official music video for this too, but it is very weird (think singing meat and air guitar playing vegetables) and almost entirely unrelated to the song (as is the They Might Be Giants way) so I put up just the audio, but look it up if your interested.

I LOVE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. THEY ARE F***ING ASTOUNDING IN EVERY WAY.

Thanks hobo. Also thanks for not posting a new video, as I kind of feared you would get to mine first, and post the next, as I already knew what your reaction would be and wanted another user unfamiliar with them to get a taste of them.

• Like 1

I only know how to copy YouTube links. How you you post purdy, clean vids?

Yep, what KJ said. TRF software is silly enough to recognize a EweTewb link for what it is, and display it in the post.

In other words, just paste the link into the text box, and TRF will hook you with the rest.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

okay since I did comment on KJ's first video, and no one else has posted a new one, ill throw up some music

a little red dirt music, if you like skynrd you might like this. Ignore the really lame font of the lyrics

YES!!! YESSSS!!!! I will forever be known as fronthole girl!! (ok no, that sounds kinda gross.)

:hug2: made my day!

:P

• Like 1

okay since I did comment on KJ's first video, and no one else has posted a new one, ill throw up some music

a little red dirt music, if you like skynrd you might like this. Ignore the really lame font of the lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7N72jJlVQE

HEY HEY HEY! Did you not notice the second youtube link tx_Rush? I beat you the punch of reviewing Jennings song. Could you at least give a review of my song (only 2 and a half minutes), because the only response I got was from hobo and I already knew she was a They Might Be Giants fan. I want to hear from an unaware ear.

I'll grab both loose ends just to pull things back on track. (I cut the links out to make less clutter.)

(Cross Canadian Ragweed - Alabama)

This track reminds me of something Montgomery Gentry might would do from the country world. I love how they end each chorus with riff that kind of ends with kind of upward inflection. The guitarist has a great sound for this track. I liked it a lot. Modern country music could learn a lot from a track like this!

(They Might be Giants - You're on Fire)

Really dig this one. I've heard the name "They Might be Giants" mentioned on the periphery of my musical journeys, but I honestly don't think I've listened to them before this. I like the slightly more melodic portions about a minute and a half in quite a lot. And I mean this as a positive, something about the vocalists timbre in this song reminds me of Weird Al Yankovic. That's not a bad thing, as I've always considered him a pretty solid vocalist. I think it's just the crystal clear enunciation- no word is slurred or inaudible.

Two very nice entries.

Next up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9-VbnzOJI

(Dredg - Cartoon Show Room)

Edited by KenJennings

Really dig this one. I've heard the name "They Might be Giants" mentioned on the periphery of my musical journeys, but I honestly don't think I've listened to them before this. I like the slightly more melodic portions about a minute and a half in quite a lot. And I mean this as a positive, something about the vocalists timbre in this song reminds me of Weird Al Yankovic. That's not a bad thing, as I've always considered him a pretty solid vocalist. I think it's just the crystal clear enunciation- no word is slurred or inaudible.

Thanks for listening. It's funny you brought up Weird Al, because They Might Be Giants is one of Al's favorite bands. It makes sense because They Might Be Giants uses quite a bit of accordion in their songs. Anyway I guess I will post another, just to ensure that this forum topic stays strong because it is a really good idea. First of all, Ken, the song you chose was very beautiful, but also quite haunting at the same time. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and just like the last song you posted, I loved the distant organ at the end. Now for my song, I am tempted to post one of the electronic songs that I am into (like Owl City or Daft Punk) but I am scared the wrong person will listen to it and not have much to say because they are not a fan of the genre, so I think I will pick something that is a bridge between preformed and produced music. This is Panda Bear's Tomboy http://youtu.be/ur1JvEcInaU (sorry the first half second of the song is cut out, but this is the only video I could find (not counting the full album) I found out about Panda Bear after hearing his collaboration with Daft Punk, and he did not disappoint. His main appeal to me is his ability to write engaging minimalist songs, which is a style of music I want to like, but have trouble with. If whomever listens to this enjoys this song. I recommend listening to the full album video on You Tube for the first song because it flowed so naturally into the second song, for the longest time I was under the illusion that there was no break between the 2 tracks, when there actually was. Enjoy fellow TRF user! Edited by RushBoingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7N72jJlVQE

Well, I thought I would give this a listen based on KJ's comments, and yeah, if modern country sounded like this, my boss at work would not have to start sneaking Rush albums onto the radio when my other boss (who chooses the music) is not around. I am shocked to hear a country rock song post olden days that I actually enjoyed. Granted, I doubt it will ever make my ipod, but none the less Bravo Cross Canadian Ragweed. They kind of make me think of Neil Young and The Tragically Hip mixed together a bit. That's a good thing. Anyway, to anyone who is concerned, my video is a post or two up.

Good stuff. I am always down for stuff like this, feel good music. Clean sound can tap your foot and fun lyrics. I coukd see myself goin on youtube to check em out on a day i was feeling adventurous

I'll grab both loose ends just to pull things back on track. (I cut the links out to make less clutter.)

(Cross Canadian Ragweed - Alabama)

This track reminds me of something Montgomery Gentry might would do from the country world. I love how they end each chorus with riff that kind of ends with kind of upward inflection. The guitarist has a great sound for this track. I liked it a lot. Modern country music could learn a lot from a track like this!

Two very nice entries.

Next up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9-VbnzOJI

(Dredg - Cartoon Show Room)

I liked the one. Not so much the sound of his voice but the vocal melody and lyrics reminded me a little if REM michael stipe. I really enjoyed the interlude at the end. Rhythm was a little weak. I am going to check them out further, however if none of their songs have enough backbone will probably not become a fan. (Doesnt mean heavier, just a more distinctive rhythm)

Edited by tx_rush