Album (dating myself) artwork. Cool or not?

Narps

My brother got me in to Rush in 1980.

What got him into Rush? Well in the late 70's he was the pimply faced kid in the record store..and ended up finding 'All the World's a Stage' and bought it solely because it had a picture of a drum kit on the front!

Nice thread! To answer the question.. 2112 or ATWAS

This was me, also. My brother got me into Rush in 1979-80 by way of Fly By Night, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings.

On the topic, then-

Buy: Caress of Steel, 2112, Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels

Drop: Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto

With one notable exception, you sure you didn't let the music you already know to be inside influence you choices? :huh: And for those of you out there who are really paying attention, what exception am I talking about?

Yes, I'm sure. If it were influenced by the music, I would put Vapor Trails in the "drop" category all by itself, and buy everything else.

I don't know what exception you're talking about, but my choices stand.

I actually remember now, when my uncle was picking up an album for my birthday, he had no idea which one I would like the most, so he saw Hold Your Fire, knew that my favorite colour was red, put two and two together, and picked it up. Lucky for me, that was next on my list anyway. Fast forward two years, and my aunt uses the same logic when choosing an LP case to be turned into a clock for Christmas.

I actually remember now, when my uncle was picking up an album for my birthday, he had no idea which one I would like the most, so he saw Hold Your Fire, knew that my favorite colour was red, put two and two together, and picked it up. Lucky for me, that was next on my list anyway. Fast forward two years, and my aunt uses the same logic when choosing an LP case to be turned into a clock for Christmas.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, who would do such a horrid thing to Hold Your Fire. Sure, it might not be my favourite Rush album but I wouldn't turn it into a clock.

How does it look?

What got him into Rush? Well in the late 70's he was the pimply faced kid in the record store..and ended up finding 'All the World's a Stage' and bought it solely because it had a picture of a drum kit on the front!

This was me, also. My brother got me into Rush in 1979-80 by way of Fly By Night, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings.

On the topic, then-

Buy: Caress of Steel, 2112, Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels

With one notable exception, you sure you didn't let the music you already know to be inside influence you choices? :huh: And for those of you out there who are really paying attention, what exception am I talking about?

No harm intended :blush: I was merely looking at your choices of albums "to keep" and Snakes And Arrows didn't seem to belong as far as album quality goes. Just my opinion as usual. :oops:

Yes, I'm sure. If it were influenced by the music, I would put Vapor Trails in the "drop" category all by itself, and buy everything else.

Edited by Narpet

The only two Rush albums that I would have bought for the cover art are A Farewell To Kings and Moving Pictures. I would have missed out on a lot! And, I like the cover of Moving Pictures more than I like the album :LOL:

Seriously, who would do such a horrid thing to Hold Your Fire. Sure, it might not be my favourite Rush album but I wouldn't turn it into a clock.

How does it look?

It looks great, and it was the sleeve, not the record itself, though I have no idea what happened to the record. I own another copy on vinyl anyway. It is kind of neat on the clock hot the dots line up with 12:30, 4:30, and 8:30 for an alternate timekeeping method.

How does it look?

It looks great, and it was the sleeve, not the record itself, though I have no idea what happened to the record. I own another copy on vinyl anyway. It is kind of neat on the clock hot the dots line up with 12:30, 4:30, and 8:30 for an alternate timekeeping method.

Sounds almost like a one of a kind piece of folk art at this point. I kinda wish I had one myself :notworthy:

How does it look?

Sounds almost like a one of a kind piece of folk art at this point. I kinda wish I had one myself :notworthy:

Well I am not sure if it is one of a kind, but it could be made again. It seems like all that was done was drilling a small hole in the centre of the cover, and placing clock hands and a battery compartment on the front and back. I am sure if you looked online you could find someone who would do it for you. The guy who did mine was in Winnipeg.

On the topic, then-

No harm intended :blush: I was merely looking at your choices of albums "to keep" and Snakes And Arrows didn't seem to belong as far as album quality goes. Just my opinion as usual. :oops:

Don't sweat it, brother...I do love Snakes and Arrows for its music, but I also think the album art is really cool- much better than, say, Counterparts, whose music I also love.

I would definitely have bought Grace Under Pressure (I dont get this ones, but it is beautiful all the same) and Caress Of Steel (I just love it!) based on artwork. Add to that list Moving Pictures and A Farewell To Kings.

I would have avoided Signals, Hemispheres, Power Windows, 2112 and Rush.

I learned to love most of the art along with the music. However, Signals and Power Windows are a little too strange...Signals looks like it is trying to rip off Fleetwood Mac's Tusk (based soley on the concept and design) and Power Windows looks like the soundtrack to a really bad eighties kids sci-fi.

Hello everyone...first post :)

Great topic!

Okay, for the album covers....and again, this is based PURELY on the artwork and not the content.

Grab that baby and go to the counter:

Exit Stage Left (to me, it's the best because the concept of all previous cover elements being present is awesome)

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

(and this is me paring it down! Rush has a lot of great covers...Clockwork Angels, Signals, and Power Windows are great too)

Oh Lord, the UGLY! Drop it!! list:

Hold Your Fire

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

RUSH

Exit...Stage Left would have been my choice. I absolutely love that cover...

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire would have turned me away, however...

Edit: Sorry about the double post!

Edited by Tarkus406