Chain Lightning Guitar Solo?

Cygnus 2112

This is one of the weirdest solo's I've ever heard. Did Alex write a solo, record it, and then play it backwards for the song.

Almost. He played it forward and recorded it forward, and then it was reversed for the song.

That's insanely easy to do in digital recording, but does anyone know how they did those kinds of things in the analog days? Seems like they would have had to record the solo on a seperate unit and then used that unit's ouput (as it was played in reverse) for the input on the track in the main mix.

This is one of the weirdest solo's I've ever heard. Did Alex write a solo, record it, and then play it backwards for the song.

Almost. He played it forward and recorded it forward, and then it was reversed for the song.

That's insanely easy to do in digital recording, but does anyone know how they did those kinds of things in the analog days? Seems like they would have had to record the solo on a seperate unit and then used that unit's ouput (as it was played in reverse) for the input on the track in the main mix.

Record solo, then flip the tape so during playback the tape is being played backwards. :huh:

• Like 1

Record solo, then flip the tape so during playback the tape is being played backwards. :huh:

Could be. Seems like you'd have to record the solo on a seperate unit no matter what method is used. If you recorded on the same unit that the bed tracks were on, flipping the tape would reverse them, too.

No, it's just Alex refusing to play anything that resembles a good guitar solo, like he's done for too much of their later career.

"THAT'S NIIIIIICE!"

• Like 2

You lost me at 'easy'.

You lost me at 'easy'.

Digital recording is easy, compared to analog tape.

You lost me at 'easy'.

Ok. Im not a moron ya know.

• Like 1

You lost me at 'easy'.

Digital Dolt?

:laughing guy:

Here's a live version from a Brazilian cover band...Stage Left. A hint of what might have been (minus Ged's vocals, of course). The guitarist pulls it off quite well, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2caiNu-Oy7U

Alguém viu essa banda?

Edited by goose

You lost me at 'easy'.

Digital Dolt?

I am not laughing.

Well maybe a little.

• Like 1

You lost me at 'easy'.

Digital Dolt?

I am not laughing.

Well maybe a little.

Hey, did you listen to that cover version?

You lost me at 'easy'.

Thanks 2013 JARG and 2016 DD for resurrecting...Ive always liked this song and solo.

To the novice, it sounds like a minor chord riff? Simple solo, sounds great. I always have "heard" the backwards sounding solo, but never heard it. I may be the moron here.

• Like 1

I have a reverse/delay on a Zoom gs3x multi effects unit which i can get that eerie solo on Earthshine however i am struggling to get Chain Lightning.I have played through more expensive units which i am sure could emulate that backward sound.Any way good old Les Paul was doing wonders with all this on reel to reel tape recorders in the 50s.
  • Like 2