I Finally Listened To The Vapor Trails Remix!!!

rushgoober

Ok, I really didn't. I kept thinking with all this fantastically obnoxious talk about the VT remix I should really listen to it and see what I think, but after suffering through the 30 second clips and no improvement whatsoever over the original other than it being less physically painful to listen to (clearer sound doesn't magically make bad songs good), I just couldn't do it. I want to, in theory, but when it comes down to it I'm just not that masochistic to put myself through an hour plus of such a horrible album again when there is so much good and great music out there for my ears to spend time with instead.

Looking at the Rush board these days with 800 threads about Rush's worst moment in their recorded history (by a very long margin) is pretty disgusting and obnoxious. Likely many feel the same way about my posts on the matter and this thread. it is what it is, but thankfully it's not forever as VT's new 15 minutes will soon be up and people will revert back to talking about their great albums again.

And the ironic thing is all this talk is about an album that will at most sell a few thousand copies and be enjoyed only by the most rabid, forgiving and sentimental of their hardcore fan base.

With all the mastrubatory VT threads out there, someone needs to be the voice of reason and remember that this album is still a giant steaming POS.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....someone needs to be the voice of reason ....

Then why are you speaking?

ATTENTION WHORE!!!

I know it might SEEM to be about me, but really it's about a lone voice of reason in the wilderness being able to speak amidst the madness, but see it how you need to see it. ;)

If this was a sub-forum where we were discussing matters of true importance in the world, my activism would reflect that, but we're talking about a musical band - a great one, mind you, but still this is the only real issue to speak against in the Rush music world. Yeah, they've had 3 other albums that were mediocre at best, but this is the only one that's truly awful, and yet so mindbogglingly worshiped by the most extreme faction of their hardcore fan base. It staggers the mind.

Ok, I really didn't. I kept thinking with all this fantastically obnoxious talk about the VT remix I should really listen to it and see what I think, but after suffering through the 30 second clips and no improvement whatsoever over the original other than it being less physically painful to listen to (clearer sound doesn't magically make bad songs good), I just couldn't do it. I want to, in theory, but when it comes down to it I'm just not that masochistic to put myself through an hour plus of such a horrible album again when there is so much good and great music out there for my ears to spend time with instead.

Looking at the Rush board these days with 800 threads about Rush's worst moment in their recorded history (by a very long margin) is pretty disgusting and obnoxious. Likely many feel the same way about my posts on the matter and this thread. it is what it is, but thankfully it's not forever as VT's new 15 minutes will soon be up and people will revert back to talking about their great albums again.

And the ironic thing is all this talk is about an album that will at most sell a few thousand copies and be enjoyed only by the most rabid, forgiving and sentimental of their hardcore fan base.

With all the mastrubatory VT threads out there, someone needs to be the voice of reason and remember that this album is still a giant steaming POS.

Maybe it's time for a little vacation off this board then? ;)

Just kidding - your posts doesn't bother me :)

I was hopeful that you'd given it a chance with your thread title, and given the free RS stream which actually sounded good.. it sounded like you actually listened to it at least once. I couldn't get past your second sentence however. If you don't give it a fair shake, then your opinion is pure unadulated bullshit. f**k you. :)

Maybe it's time for a little vacation off this board then? ;)

Just kidding - your posts doesn't bother me :)

I honestly can't fathom why so many people get bothered by the opinions of one person about a music group (especially since I love most of their albums), but some people take it way too seriously, and oddly WAY too personally. Just disagree and write me off as crazy if you don't like my opinions, or ignore me entirely, but some people just can't seem to help themselves and are like moths to a flame... every time! :P

I was hopeful that you'd given it a chance with your thread title, and given the free RS stream which actually sounded good.. it sounded like you actually listened to it at least once. I couldn't get past your second sentence however. If you don't give it a fair shake, then your opinion is pure unadulated bullshit. f**k you. :)

:LMAO:

I LITERALLY lol'ed on that one! Wow, such venomous hate over one person's opinion on a music album. Sometimes I think people worship Rush as a religion, and saying anything bad about them is like taking the Lord's name in vain. It's really not that important an issue in the grand scheme of things, not even close.

I really wish you hadn't bothered with this thread, mister. Happiness will now fly away, and it will all be about you.

I really wish Rush hadn't bothered with shining a giant spotlight on their worst moment by re-releasing their worst album and making such a big deal about it, but you know, shit happens. :P

I LITERALLY lol'ed on that one! Wow, such venomous hate over one person's opinion on a music album. Sometimes I think people worship Rush as a religion, and saying anything bad about them is like taking the Lord's name in vain. It's really not that important an issue in the grand scheme of things, not even close.

That is clearly some of what we are dealing with here: blind (or should we call it "deaf") devotion to a great, but not infalliable, band.

I compltely understand the phenomenon, because I used to be that way with Yes. Everything they did was great, every turd they dropped was chocolate ice cream. And then the album Open Your Eyes really opened my ears to the fact that Yes were not perfect, and had not been perfect for a really, really long time.

When people are locked into hero-whorhsip mode, and their very identity is wrapped up in being a rabid fan of a particular band, weird things will happen. Suddenly you find yourself believing that Steve Howe's guitar tone has been great all along, instead of starting to suck after the first Asia album. Or you would swear that We Can't Dance was as good an album as Duke. Or that Vapour Trails is a great Rush album that only suffered from poor engineering during recording. And anyone who would dare criticize the quality of the songs is a hater or a Debbie Downer.

To quote another awful Rush song, "It is what it is, and whatever."

Of course, all opinions expressed above are subject to change at any time.

;)

I really wish you hadn't bothered with this thread, mister. Happiness will now fly away, and it will all be about you.

I really wish Rush hadn't bothered with shining a giant spotlight on their worst moment by re-releasing their worst album and making such a big deal about it, but you know, shit happens. :P

Yeah, we know. It's just so f***ing tiresome. It was funny for a while back in '04.

Aww, did you lol? That's nice. Venom? With a smiley face? Hardly. I can say f**k you with a smile and not hatred. f**k you :hi:

ATTENTION WHORE!!!

Exactly. Instead of posting in an existing VT Remix thread that he hasn't listened to the Remix even once and his opinion is that the Remix is "giant steaming POS", he had to start a new thread to announce he hasn't listened to the Remix even once and his opinion is that the Remix is a "giant steaming POS".

Enjoy your attention, rushgoober. :)

Goobs -

Here is the deal. I am going to explain to you why everyone gets pissed about this whole thing.

VT - okay, its not Rush's best album, the original was of poor quality. We get it. Most people on TRF are huge Rush fans, as you are.

People get frustrated because you cant say even 1 positive thing. Literally you have stated there is not even one song that is better than shit.

Everyone else says, "sure it might not be their best, but to say its just SPOS (steaming pile of shit) and that all the songs are terrible? You come off as just be a stubburn old fart that really hasnt given it a good try. You have made up your mind, and this is your personal crusade. I think at this point you really couldnt give it a fair try with the new remix as you your mind is so made up and you are so stubborn about it.

If you gave it a fair try, I am pretty confident that it would still be your least favorite Rush album, but you could probably make a better case for your opinion than "my ears bleed", "im not a masachist" etc.. And, you also would actually find a few moments or a song that you would get some enjoyment out of.

ATTENTION WHORE!!!

Exactly. Instead of posting in an existing VT Remix thread that he hasn't listened to the Remix even once and his opinion is that the Remix is "giant steaming POS", he had to start a new thread to announce he hasn't listened to the Remix even once and his opinion is that the Remix is a "giant steaming POS".

Enjoy your attention, rushgoober. :)

Of course, and if he could shine a big spotlight on the thread, he would. For fear we'd miss his malodorous outpourings.

Goobs -

Here is the deal. I am going to explain to you why everyone gets pissed about this whole thing.

VT - okay, its not Rush's best album, the original was of poor quality. We get it. Most people on TRF are huge Rush fans, as you are.

People get frustrated because you cant say even 1 positive thing. Literally you have stated there is not even one song that is better than shit.

Everyone else says, "sure it might not be their best, but to say its just SPOS (steaming pile of shit) and that all the songs are terrible? You come off as just be a stubburn old fart that really hasnt given it a good try. You have made up your mind, and this is your personal crusade. I think at this point you really couldnt give it a fair try with the new remix as you your mind is so made up and you are so stubborn about it.

If you gave it a fair try, I am pretty confident that it would still be your least favorite Rush album, but you could probably make a better case for your opinion than "my ears bleed", "im not a masachist" etc.. And, you also would actually find a few moments or a song that you would get some enjoyment out of.

No. You're just adding grist to his mill, unfortunately.

Goobs -

He's just doing a bit at this point. It's his schtick.

That is clearly some of what we are dealing with here: blind (or should we call it "deaf") devotion to a great, but not infalliable, band.

I compltely understand the phenomenon, because I used to be that way with Yes. Everything they did was great, every turd they dropped was chocolate ice cream. And then the album Open Your Eyes really opened my ears to the fact that Yes were not perfect, and had not been perfect for a really, really long time.

When people are locked into hero-whorhsip mode, and their very identity is wrapped up in being a rabid fan of a particular band, weird things will happen. Suddenly you find yourself believing that Steve Howe's guitar tone has been great all along, instead of starting to suck after the first Asia album. Or you would swear that We Can't Dance was as good an album as Duke. Or that Vapour Trails is a great Rush album that only suffered from poor engineering during recording. And anyone who would dare criticize the quality of the songs is a hater or a Debbie Downer.

;)

The "hero worship" thing does make it difficult to have an honest discussion about whether an album or performance is good or not.

I listened to the remix. I've always liked VT, but I don't love it. I listened to the remix on my car stereo and on my iPod. If I'm being honest, I can't tell if I notice a difference in sound, or if I just think I should.

;)

The "hero worship" thing does make it difficult to have an honest discussion about whether an album or performance is good or not.

I listened to the remix. I've always liked VT, but I don't love it. I listened to the remix on my car stereo and on my iPod. If I'm being honest, I can't tell if I notice a difference in sound, or if I just think I should.

I have actually heard a pretty significant difference, even just listening to it ove the RS site.

;)

:clap:

Archived