How do you drink your beer?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you drink your beer?

• Can (eew, sorry .. but eeew)
    • Bottle
    • Glass
    • Mug
    • *Special glass

I don't really drink anymore but it doesn't make a difference to me, if I was being offered a cold one I wouldn't really care what vessel it's being served in, unless it was something like this...

http://rockandritas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/CAI_1522-web-300x200.jpg

I don't drink beer. It tastes awful.

Blasphemy!!!!

At one point I talked myself into believing I liked beer. (College, you know, drink beer or go thirsty pretty much).

I finally realized that it was stupid to keep drinking it if I really deep-down did not care for it. And I don't, except for some of the fruit lambics. Even those I can easily do without at $6+ per bottle.

I'd much rather have a Woodpecker Cider with a shot of cassis. :)

Have you tried Lagavulin 16? It's just...titanic. Dat aroma!

Two reviews of this one:

94 points Whisky Advocate

http://www.klwines.com/images/OuterQuote.gif An old classic, but how do the newest bottlings fare? Rich, chewy, slightly oily texture. Deep peat, thick smoke, iodine, brine, charcoal, seaweed, tea (Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong), and the aromas of a summer barbeque. Vanilla and light caramel soften the intensity, while subtle citrus fruit teases. Powerful, yet polished and seamless. After all these years, this whisky is still one of the finest standard-issue peaty, smoky whiskies!

K&L Notes

Lagavulin was established in 1830 and has the driest start of all single malts. Full amber in color, with a dominant sherry nose. Full-bodied yet smooth. The dryness is offset by the sweetness of the sherry character. Salty notes and a huge powerful peaty finish. A connoisseur's malt, and with consistently high marks from late critic Michael Jackson.

Why would I want to drink anything that tasted like oily iodine, dirt and smoke?????? Perhaps I am not fully appreciating the finer points of this sort of thing, but this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

On the bright side - someone found a niche and a few people have made decent careers out of filling that niche. :)

You either get the peaty/smoke type Scothces or you don't. For example I don't care for the Laphroaig shown above, I find it a bit unbalanced, but the Lagavulin 16 is a thing of beauty.

And no, it doesn't "taste like dirt and iodine", it's an incredibly complex taste, it just tastes like, well, like a heavenly good scotch.

I used to drink a ton of beer. I drank 3-5 beers a night ( out of a bottle, glass, frosty mug, can or whatever ) at home every night for to many years. I am not proud of it in any way. I mostly consumed cheap beer but occasionally would get something good. 7 months ago I decided to get fit and just stopped. I don't really even consider it anymore. It's almost like that was someone else....... :)

this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

I chuckle at these kinds of descriptions as well. One of the funniest wine-tasting momenst ever was when a wine was served and the snobs got to commenting on the subtleties using all the flowery language. The wine in question? Frozen grape juice concentrate. Edited by goose

this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

I chuckle at these kinds of descriptions as well. One of the funniest wine-tasting momenst ever was when a wine was served and the snobs got to commenting on the subtleties using all the flowery language. The wine in question? Frozen grape juice concentrate.

How is there NOT video of this? I'd love to see that. :D

• Like 1

I chuckle at these kinds of descriptions as well. One of the funniest wine-tasting momenst ever was when a wine was served and the snobs got to commenting on the subtleties using all the flowery language. The wine in question? Frozen grape juice concentrate.

I saw a similar one where a cheap $5 bottle of wine was poured into a bottle that was much more expensive and then served at a taste testing. That same show had a taste testing where they took lemon flavored jello and added food coloring to make it red and then asked people to describe it. They blindfolded some of the testers and others they did not. Everyone blindfolded identified the jello as being lemon but the ones who were not blindfolded all described it as some kind of berry flavor.

I will admit to being really, really impressed with a sommelier competition I happened to catch on PBS or some such late night programming. It was held at a five-star restaurant and there were (I think) four or five contestants. There was a seven-course menu and the sommeliers had to pick a wine for each course and explain why they chose that particular wine. It was absolutely remarkable how much these guys knew and they were not told anything about the menu beforehand. I did kind of hope one of them might go rogue and suggest Uncle Marty's Bathtub Chardonnay, though.

Had a couple of these this weekend - all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed them ...

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/images/brand-BroThelo.jpg

Funny to read what beer snobs have to say....

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/30282/

There is nothing I eat or drink that I would spend the time to rate like that.

GOD I miss having a dam beer :facepalm:

I don't. Well, maybe I miss having one, but I don't miss having seventeen, or whatever, in addition to hard liquor and mixed drinks...and all of the ruin and humiliation that resulted from them.

• Like 2

How is there NOT video of this? I'd love to see that. :D

Yeah...should have filmed it. :P

Had a couple of these this weekend - all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed them ...

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/images/brand-BroThelo.jpg

Funny to read what beer snobs have to say....

http://www.beeradvoc...file/112/30282/

There is nothing I eat or drink that I would spend the time to rate like that.

Aroma malt with spices

Head large (6.5 cm), creamy with rocks, light brown, rapidly diminishing,

Lacing none to spotty

Body a deep red-amber approaching garnet

Flavor begins with malt, spice and dark fruit, sweet, no diacetyl, no alcohol

Ends with a slight alcohol burn

Palate medium, creamy, carbonation lively

:eyeroll: :facepalm:

:LOL:

• Like 2

I don't. Well, maybe I miss having one, but I don't miss having seventeen, or whatever, in addition to hard liquor and mixed drinks...and all of the ruin and humiliation that resulted from them.

Yes exactly. Thats why I don't do anything. Sometimes on a nice warm sunny day it would be awesome to have a 40oz. of Heiney at the beach then go home and make mexican food!!!!

Yes exactly. Thats why I don't do anything. Sometimes on a nice warm sunny day it would be awesome to have a 40oz. of Heiney at the beach then go home and make mexican food!!!!

Heine was good...I was always a Newcastle guy, more than anything else. With any kind of food, or none. :D

• Like 1

Heine was good...I was always a Newcastle guy, more than anything else. With any kind of food, or none. :D

After I quit drinking in 2001, I was in Amsterdam in 2002 and we walked across the city and I came face to face with THE Heiny brewery. I dam near made a b-line for the place thinkin BREWERY TOUR!!!!!! Then I remembered I was sober..... I was pissed!!!! :LOL:

• Like 1

After I quit drinking in 2001, I was in Amsterdam in 2002 and we walked across the city and I came face to face with THE Heiny brewery. I dam near made a b-line for the place thinkin BREWERY TOUR!!!!!! Then I remembered I was sober..... I was pissed!!!! :LOL:

Before I decided to get myself in tip top shape last May I used to drink tons of beer. 3-6 beers every evening for about 10 years straight to relax after work and weekends. I must be in a different category than someone who quits and can never go back. Even after all that beer drinking every day and day after day, I can have a couple once in a while now whenever I feel like it. I have had very little over the past months but I could have a few if I felt like it and have done so. Maybe its the difference between a "habit" and "addiction"?... :huh: :)
  • Like 1

Before I decided to get myself in tip top shape last May I used to drink tons of beer. 3-6 beers every evening for about 10 years straight to relax after work and weekends. I must be in a different category than someone who quits and can never go back. Even after all that beer drinking every day and day after day, I can have a couple once in a while now whenever I feel like it. I have had very little over the past months but I could have a few if I felt like it and have done so. Maybe its the difference between a "habit" and "addiction"?... :huh: :)

Addiction is a chemical imbalance in the brain, usually inherent. Not all family members will inherit this chemical but the ones who do are at risk. What this chemical does is provide delusional thinking and prevents us from saying I've had enough time to go. It had me good! But I still miss chillin with a beer on occasion :)

• Like 2