Pennywise the Clown is REAL and he's haunting a town in England!

treeduck

Just clowning around or something more sinister? Town spooked by man dressed as terrifying character from Stephen King's It

Mystery man dressed in full clown outfit spotted around Northampton

One woman claims he knocked on front door to paint her windowsills

Clown resembles demonic character played by Tim Curry in 1990 film

A man dressed as a clown bearing a striking resemblance to the notorious film monster Pennywise is spooking residents by posing late at night around a town and waving at passers-by.

The figure has been spotted in full clown attire around Northampton - and one woman claimed he offered to paint her windowsills after knocking on her front door, despite having no equipment on him.

There is no explanation for the appearances by the clown - who bears a striking resemblance to the demonic character played by British actor Tim Curry in the 1990 horror film Stephen King’s It.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421823-1BD9BA34000005DC-114_634x460.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421823-1BD9BA2C000005DC-551_306x423.jpg

The clown appears to have even set up a Facebook page, which now has more than 26,000 likes. He writes comments under pictures of himself, signed off with Pennywise’s catchphrase - ‘beep, beep’.

Since his first appearance last week - on Friday 13 September – he has sparked a raft of speculation among locals who fear he may be up to no good. Others have even threatened to attack him.

But the clown said on his Facebook page: ‘Too much hate, not enough love. No, I don't have a knife on me. That’s just stupid rumours spread by stupid people.

‘I'm also “not” on Twitter as it confuses the heck out of me. However, I might go for a jog around that pond in Abington Park later as I'm really unfit. See you around. Beep, beep!’

The clown has been spotted in several areas in the town, including in a shopping district at 11pm. He has also been snapped clutching a set of juggling clubs and even colourful balloons in one picture.

In a caption to the shopping district photograph, he wrote: ‘Beep, beep! Didn’t think I'd be seen tonight. Extremely quiet but there were a few of you who saw. See you all around.’

'Beep, beep! Didn’t think I'd be seen tonight. Extremely quiet but there were a few of you who saw. See you all around'

Mysterious Facebook post by clown

Some Facebook users with coulrophobia - an abnormal fear of clowns - have pleaded with him to stop. Others said they are ‘freaked out’.

Kelly Keen said: ‘You’ve been spotted - now get out of the clown suit and start acting like a grown-up that you supposedly are.

'Stop scaring people as some people do have real fears of clowns and you are terrorising them, despite what you may say.'

And Korey Brown wrote: ‘I would probably mug you or seriously hurt you. No hard feelings bro(ther), but I’ve always wanted to hurt a clown.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421823-1BD9BA38000005DC-851_634x406.jpg

However, others praised him for creating a talking point among locals. Jay Gould said: ‘Poor clown - just trying to liven up Northampton, and people threatening to hurt him.’

'We can confirm that we have neither arrested nor dealt with any crimes involving anyone dressed as a clown'

Northamptonshire Police spokesman

Northamptonshire Police confirmed today that they had received calls from members of the public reporting three clown-related sightings over the weekend.

However, the force said no crimes had been reported involving people dressed as clowns or any arrests been made in connection with the clown sightings.

A spokesman said: ‘We can confirm that we have neither arrested nor dealt with any crimes involving anyone dressed as a clown. However, we received three calls over the weekend relating to people being seen dressed as clowns.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421823-1BD9BA28000005DC-237_634x404.jpg

Mother-of-three Felicity McDonald, 45, who lives in Northampton, said: ‘It's the only thing anybody has been talking about in the entire town today.

'He'd better be careful around a town like this. If you go about dressed as a killer clown, it can only end in tears'

Felicity McDonald, Northampton mother

‘Some people are really going too far, saying we need to stop him because they are so freaked out by it all. It is a little bit weird and everyone is just expecting it to be something sinister.

‘It’s like Stephen King's It has come to life. He’d better be careful though around a town like this. If you go about dressed as a killer clown, it can only end in tears.’

Meanwhile, some social network users reported sightings of a vigilante 'Clown Catcher'.

Twitter user Samantha Phillips uploaded a picture of a bald man sporting sunglasses and a Superman-style costume, with the caption: ‘Northampton now has a clown catcher too.’

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm not terrified of clowns. But I do find them a bit Creepy and Not Funny.

That being said, I see those photos and think "I see what you did there". A bit of attention, for a laugh, gets people talking etc... But I worry he's going to get a kicking....

And Pennywise?? Some people are scared enough of regular clowns, let alone the serial killer ones!!

Edited by LyndseyG

Yeah, I can't do Pennywise. Noooooo lmao.

I actually have this weird, totally irrational fear whenever I'm outside late at night on my street. There's one working streetlamp and a few flickering ones, and it's really creepy here when it gets dark!! lol

I always think "what if....." & imagine a clown slowly walking down the sidewalk looking at me, holding a bunch of balloons or something. I freak myself out. I have to stop watching those movies LOL

What his motive is I'm not sure, but he proves that a lot of people base their fear on what they see, and not what they know. It's quite interesting that some respond with fear and some respond with laughter. For all I know he could be doing a social experiment, he could be crazy or maybe he just want's to liven up a dull city. Most likely he want's to get famous on Facebook :huh: