• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 SUBDIVISIONS

SUBDIVISIONS

The Seeker

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I had the chance at one click away, a couple of meet and greet tickets (about 2 thou a piece) and then I thought: cheese! I do love them, I do die to shake their hand, but F*ck, I am not crazy, not stupid enough to throw away 4 grand just for that!

Sponsored Post

#22 RushCanuck

RushCanuck

From Eh to Zed

• Members *
  • 3975 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

If I won a meet and greet (and with my luck, fat chance of that happening), I would meet Al and Geddy.  If I saw them in public when I visit Toronto, I would leave them alone, as I do with any other stranger.  If I was sitting next to Geddy at a Jays game, I would do my usual yelling and cheering for the Jays, but I would respect Geddy's space and leave him alone.  If he started a conversation about the Jays, I'd join in.  Just my thoughts.

#23 coventry

coventry

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Phish, drumming, baseball, camping, islands, high-end audio, cats, teaching, a band called Rush

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostTony R, on 13 September 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I'd ask for the last 37 years of my life back.

I'd ask for the next 37 years to be guaranteed.

#24 Slack jaw gaze

Slack jaw gaze

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2286 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would never go out of my way to meet any famous person or ever ask for an autograph. I totally empathize with Neil about meeting "fans". I know I would hate it. No matter how nice the famous person might act, they have to be thinking to themselves "here we go again". You can't go through that every day of your life and not eventually dread the "Aren't you....?" question.

Back in the day when Paul Newman was racing I walked by just as he came out of his trailer. I just said "Hey Paul" and kept on walking pretty much like I might greet any stranger. Anything more would just be awkward.

As far as having images crushed, I learned that lesson in my early 20s. There was this woman on the radio that had an unbelievable voice that I was in love with. She happened to be broadcasting from an event I was at. My image of her was completely blown. Sometimes it's better not to know.

#25 OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2112 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I haven't met them yet, and probably never will....I'm doing fine.

#26 hobo73

hobo73

In the court of the Crimson Hobes

• Members *
  • 2658 posts
  • Interests:LOVE my baby girl, LOVE my music and LOVE being my weird ol' self ;)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

I agree- I mean, it would be so cool to randomly run into Geddy or Alex (Neil, I would be too scared to say anything lmao!) and I would say a quick hello if they weren't in the middle of eating or something.
I also don't like meet and greets. Not very intimate. =/  I met Rick Nielsen & Bun E Carlos at their hometown public library. Bun E had a CD collection on display there and there weren't a lot of people, and it was not a meet n greet situation at all. I had very long conversations with both of them, and it kicked ass.
Meet n greets, it's like....hi. *hand shake* bye.
no thanks lol.

However, the ONLY band I would stand in line for a meet n greet, if it was the only way I could meet them....I'm sure you all know. (for those about to ROCK!!!!!!)

:D

#27 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostSlack jaw gaze, on 13 September 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

As far as having images crushed, I learned that lesson in my early 20s. There was this woman on the radio that had an unbelievable voice that I was in love with. She happened to be broadcasting from an event I was at. My image of her was completely blown. Sometimes it's better not to know.

There's a saying for that: S/He has a face made for radio. :outtahere:

#28 Citizen of the World

Citizen of the World

The Majestik Moose

• Members
  • 4448 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

I have met several famous people and they were truly just regular people who wanted to be treated that way and I had enjoyable conversations with them. That being said they were never the influence on my life that Rush has been. If I did meet any of the guys in Rush I would probably turn into a blithering idiot which is the last thing that they would want. So many things that I would want to say to them when it all basically comes down to "Thanks".

#29 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

Id like some winter fun with Geddy!    :notworthy:

#30 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6153 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

I wouldn't chase them down, but if I randomly ran into them I'd treat them just like any other normal person. Wouldn't be scared to talk to any of them, not even Neil, because I'm pretty relaxed around celebrities. I don't get starstruck. I'm pretty down to earth and sympathetic so people tend to relax around me. ;)

#31 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

• Members *
  • 6153 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostChicken hawk, on 14 September 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

Id like some winter fun with Geddy! :notworthy:

Yeah going tobogganing with Geddy would be fun :D

#32 HalfwayToGone

HalfwayToGone

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Music—listening and performing.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Having met Alex and Geddy already, I would be happy to meet them again, especially Geddy, because the interaction with him might have been memorable to him.  That said, it was a much more relaxed situation back then than the meet and greets they have now, so I probably would rather run into them somewhere unexpectedly than be herded through with a line of people.

#33 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

• Members *
  • 6153 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 14 September 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Having met Alex and Geddy already, I would be happy to meet them again, especially Geddy, because the interaction with him might have been memorable to him.  That said, it was a much more relaxed situation back then than the meet and greets they have now, so I probably would rather run into them somewhere unexpectedly than be herded through with a line of people.

Now you can't just type that kind of thing, and then not elaborate! :P

#34 ZivotSon

ZivotSon

The Seeker

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

A friend, who was both a drummer and a huge Rush fan back in the day, met Neil a few years back at a dinner party. Said Neil was talkative and relaxed. It was completely random, he had no idea Neil would be there.

Unless it was that type of situation I would never think of approaching any of them.  I'd feel uncomfortable bothering them. As someone else said, on a personal level they are strangers to me and I'd just let them go about their business.

#35 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

If you were critical of them, it could go a bit like this.

Classic.

#36 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

And I don't think they'd want to meet you so add this to the list of pointless threads. :P

#37 Cygnus Xanadu-1

Cygnus Xanadu-1

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

From what I have seen, read and heard of the band, I would much prefer to meet them over a five-pound pot of tea than for a thousand-pound five minutes.  Geddy is certainly one who would be a far better person to talk to in a more relaxed environment, as I imagine Neil and Alex would be. You can meet your heroes. But you won't usually meet the heroes you wanted to meet.

#38 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 14 September 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Having met Alex and Geddy already, I would be happy to meet them again, especially Geddy, because the interaction with him might have been memorable to him.

:eh: :blink:

#39 coventry

coventry

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Phish, drumming, baseball, camping, islands, high-end audio, cats, teaching, a band called Rush

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'd follow Neil's tourbus and then fight my way past Michael before asking Neil to autograph a copy of one of his books.

#40 softfilter

softfilter

The Professor

• Members
  • 3677 posts
  • Interests:Reading mostly military history & local Ohio history. Riding mountain bike on Ohio/Erie canal trail. Discovering new micro brews!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm a loyal customer of the :rush:  line of music and  related products.
I'm also very fond of  the wide array  of Samuel Adams beer variety's, but I don't have  the desire to meet Jim Koch. He seems like a nice guy but enjoying the beer is good enough for me..... :rush: & A  Sam Adams cream stout  sounds good right now.. :haz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users