I don't think I'd ever really want to meet Rush

rushgoober

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think I'd ever want to meet the band.

Sure, if I happened to run into one of them it'd be cool. I think the only way I would ever be able to talk to Neil without him being put off is if I happened to run into him organically in some random situation and was friendly for awhile before ever mentioning I knew who he was. If I came across Geddy or Neil at a restaurant or something, and the situation presented itself and it didn't seem like it would be obnoxious or inconveinent for them and the timing seemed right, I might say hello, that I'm a big fan, thank them for what they do, etc. I don't ever expect that to happen, however.

A situation like a meet and greet just seems awkward and contrived to me. If someone gave me a free ticket to a meet and greet, would I go? Maybe. If I could sell it though and make some decent money off it, I'd rather have someone else go who really cared to meet them. Or if I couldn't sell it I'd still rather give it to someone who it was meaningful to meet them.

I love their music, and while I respect them as people and they seem like good guys, I don't necessarily feel like I have much in common with them other than a shared love of a similar kind of music and an appreciation of humor.

Then again, I don't know if there's anyone in the world that I haven't met that I particularly want to meet. I wouldn't have minded meeting Florian Fricke, the main person from the music group Popol Vuh, before he died, but at least I got to write a long article about his music and was appreciated by his wife and son for doing so. That was nice. Other than that, the people who are the most important to me personally I already know. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind meeting lots of cool people and being friends with a lot more people in my life, but famous people - meh, not necessary.

• Like 3

Sure, if I happened to run into one of them it'd be cool. I think the only way I would ever be able to talk to Neil without him being put off is if I happened to run into him organically in some random situation and was friendly for awhile before ever mentioning I knew who he was. If I came across Geddy or Neil at a restaurant or something, and the situation presented itself and it didn't seem like it would be obnoxious or inconveinent for them and the timing seemed right, I might say hello, that I'm a big fan, thank them for what they do, etc. I don't ever expect that to happen, however.

A situation like a meet and greet just seems awkward and contrived to me. If someone gave me a free ticket to a meet and greet, would I go? Maybe. If I could sell it though and make some decent money off it, I'd rather have someone else go who really cared to meet them. Or if I couldn't sell it I'd still rather give it to someone who it was meaningful to meet them.

I love their music, and while I respect them as people and they seem like good guys, I don't necessarily feel like I have much in common with them other than a shared love of a similar kind of music and an appreciation of humor.

Then again, I don't know if there's anyone in the world that I haven't met that I particularly want to meet. I wouldn't have minded meeting Florian Fricke, the main person from the music group Popol Vuh, before he died, but at least I got to write a long article about his music and was appreciated by his wife and son for doing so. That was nice. Other than that, the people who are the most important to me personally I already know. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind meeting lots of cool people and being friends with a lot more people in my life, but famous people - meh, not necessary.

You don't think your shared appreciation of the Twilight series could be the basis for a wonderful friendship?

• Like 3

Neil can now scratch out one possible stalker on his black list? Or he may think it's a ploy by the obsessed goober to smoke Neil out?

Yeah Neil will never fall for this Goobs, you're staying firmly on his "dangerous fans" list no matter what you say! :bang bang:

I agree completely. If I happened to meet them through mutual friends or something similar that would be great, but contrived situations just seem weird. And while I like knowing more about them as people, I have no desire to know *everything* about them. That just seems sorta creepy. I'm fine with letting them have their privacy.

I agree completely. If I happened to meet them through mutual friends or something similar that would be great, but contrived situations just seem weird. And while I like knowing more about them as people, I have no desire to know *everything* about them. That just seems sorta creepy. I'm fine with letting them have their privacy.

yeah, I love them for their music. not really interested in their private lives outside of rush-related info and trivia.

If I won a meet and greet (and with my luck, fat chance of that happening), I would meet Al and Geddy. If I saw them in public when I visit Toronto, I would leave them alone, as I do with any other stranger. If I was sitting next to Geddy at a Jays game, I would do my usual yelling and cheering for the Jays, but I would respect Geddy's space and leave him alone. If he started a conversation about the Jays, I'd join in. Just my thoughts.

I would never go out of my way to meet any famous person or ever ask for an autograph. I totally empathize with Neil about meeting "fans". I know I would hate it. No matter how nice the famous person might act, they have to be thinking to themselves "here we go again". You can't go through that every day of your life and not eventually dread the "Aren't you....?" question.

Back in the day when Paul Newman was racing I walked by just as he came out of his trailer. I just said "Hey Paul" and kept on walking pretty much like I might greet any stranger. Anything more would just be awkward.

As far as having images crushed, I learned that lesson in my early 20s. There was this woman on the radio that had an unbelievable voice that I was in love with. She happened to be broadcasting from an event I was at. My image of her was completely blown. Sometimes it's better not to know.

• Like 2