I don't think I'd ever really want to meet Rush

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts
  • Interests:all things ending in the letter y, re-weaving the fabric of the space-time continuum, shelling walnuts, mental telepathy, collecting non-existent pez dispensers

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think I'd ever want to meet the band.

Sure, if I happened to run into one of them it'd be cool.  I think the only way I would ever be able to talk to Neil without him being put off is if I happened to run into him organically in some random situation and was friendly for awhile before ever mentioning I knew who he was.  If I came across Geddy or Neil at a restaurant or something, and the situation presented itself and it didn't seem like it would be obnoxious or inconveinent for them and the timing seemed right, I might say hello, that I'm a big fan, thank them for what they do, etc.  I don't ever expect that to happen, however.

A situation like a meet and greet just seems awkward and contrived to me.  If someone gave me a free ticket to a meet and greet, would I go?  Maybe.  If I could sell it though and make some decent money off it, I'd rather have someone else go who really cared to meet them.  Or if I couldn't sell it I'd still rather give it to someone who it was meaningful to meet them.

I love their music, and while I respect them as people and they seem like good guys, I don't necessarily feel like I have much in common with them other than a shared love of a similar kind of music and an appreciation of humor.

Then again, I don't know if there's anyone in the world that I haven't met that I particularly want to meet.  I wouldn't have minded meeting Florian Fricke, the main person from the music group Popol Vuh, before he died, but at least I got to write a long article about his music and was appreciated by his wife and son for doing so.  That was nice.  Other than that, the people who are the most important to me personally I already know.  I'm not saying I wouldn't mind meeting lots of cool people and being friends with a lot more people in my life, but famous people - meh, not necessary.

Sponsored Post

#2 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members *
  • 12265 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Rush just called.... "Right back atcha"

Edited by Lost In Xanadu, 13 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#3 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 8587 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

i would like to go skiing with neil. :smoke:

#4 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts
  • Interests:all things ending in the letter y, re-weaving the fabric of the space-time continuum, shelling walnuts, mental telepathy, collecting non-existent pez dispensers

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 13 September 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Rush just called.... "Right back atcha"

Well at least they know who I am.  That's awesome.  It's so cool that you know them! :yes: :P

#5 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 4666 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

ok.

#6 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 36071 posts
  • Interests:Desirism, Clowns, alchemy, the latest updates on phlogiston research, Faked Moon Landings (but mostly desirism)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postrushgoober, on 13 September 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Sure, if I happened to run into one of them it'd be cool.  I think the only way I would ever be able to talk to Neil without him being put off is if I happened to run into him organically in some random situation and was friendly for awhile before ever mentioning I knew who he was.  If I came across Geddy or Neil at a restaurant or something, and the situation presented itself and it didn't seem like it would be obnoxious or inconveinent for them and the timing seemed right, I might say hello, that I'm a big fan, thank them for what they do, etc.  I don't ever expect that to happen, however.

A situation like a meet and greet just seems awkward and contrived to me.  If someone gave me a free ticket to a meet and greet, would I go?  Maybe.  If I could sell it though and make some decent money off it, I'd rather have someone else go who really cared to meet them.  Or if I couldn't sell it I'd still rather give it to someone who it was meaningful to meet them.

I love their music, and while I respect them as people and they seem like good guys, I don't necessarily feel like I have much in common with them other than a shared love of a similar kind of music and an appreciation of humor.

Then again, I don't know if there's anyone in the world that I haven't met that I particularly want to meet.  I wouldn't have minded meeting Florian Fricke, the main person from the music group Popol Vuh, before he died, but at least I got to write a long article about his music and was appreciated by his wife and son for doing so.  That was nice.  Other than that, the people who are the most important to me personally I already know.  I'm not saying I wouldn't mind meeting lots of cool people and being friends with a lot more people in my life, but famous people - meh, not necessary.

You don't think your shared appreciation of the Twilight series could be the basis for a wonderful friendship?

#7 Lerxster

Lerxster

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8102 posts
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I don't think I'd ever want you to meet the band, either.

#8 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 4666 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I have a feeling that if certain TRFers met the band they'd lose hope and break up

#9 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2528 posts
  • Interests:Listening and playing music, having a good time, and trying not to worry too much.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postbathory, on 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

I have a feeling that if certain TRFers met the band they'd lose hope and break up

:lol:

#10 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostLerxster, on 13 September 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I don't think I'd ever want you to meet the band, either.

alright, now i WANT to meet them. :yes:

:P

#11 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 4666 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

always the contrarian...

#12 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postbathory, on 13 September 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

always the contrarian...

i disagree.

;)

#13 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 45808 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Neil can now scratch out one possible stalker on his black list? Or he may think it's a ploy by the obsessed goober to smoke Neil out?

Yeah Neil will never fall for this Goobs, you're staying firmly on his "dangerous fans" list no matter what you say! :bang bang:

#14 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 8587 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

i guess the countdown is now on for the inevitable thread .
I don't think I'd ever really want to eat Rush

#15 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I agree completely.  If I happened to meet them through mutual friends or something similar that would be great, but contrived situations just seem weird.  And while I like knowing more about them as people, I have no desire to know *everything* about them.  That just seems sorta creepy.  I'm fine with letting them have their privacy.

#16 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 13 September 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I agree completely.  If I happened to meet them through mutual friends or something similar that would be great, but contrived situations just seem weird.  And while I like knowing more about them as people, I have no desire to know *everything* about them.  That just seems sorta creepy.  I'm fine with letting them have their privacy.

yeah, I love them for their music.  not really interested in their private lives outside of rush-related info and trivia.

#17 temporary madness

temporary madness

The Seeker

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:playing guitar, art, hiking and the outdoors, Alan Rickman, Rush, digital graphics and photography, SNL, food.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

i would just freak out and make myself look like a weirdo (see paul rudd and jason segal's skit), so its probably better that i don't

#18 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 9015 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'd ask for the last 37 years of my life back.

#19 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 7796 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

It's almost invariably disappointing to meet someone famous you admire if you show any sign of recognizing them.

#20 thegirlintherushshirt

thegirlintherushshirt

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Rush, music, makeup, fashion, computers, technology, social media, animals, cooking.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'd probably take any chance I could to meet them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users