Rainbow?

hobo73

I've always liked them. Really different sound depending in who was singing but they all had good songs. Turner was more melodic and pop oriented, dio was dio, and bonnet was great when he was on but missed more often than not. My fave from them is probably since you've been gone. It's a great pop/rock song and bonnet nails it. You don't realize how high he's singing until you try to sing along.

Love the Rainbow.

I grew up on the Joe Lynn Turner stuff, but realized quickly that the older, Dio stuff was more my style.

In case you want to know more, I decided to share my thoughts:

Leaving Deep Purple, Blackmore abducted Dio's band Elf to form his new band Rainbow. Writing and recording their first album (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow), they created a sub-genre of hard rock now known as Castle Rock. This first effort is more folky and medieval than anything that followed. It features the beer anthem Man on the Silver Mountain.

The second album, Rising, isn't perfect (Run with the Wolf Rates about a "C+" and Do You Close Your Eyes a "C"), but the other 4 songs are monumental, from the pop-metal of Starstruck, to the early speed metal of Light in the Black, to the classic Dio metal of Tarot Woman. Stargazer is in another class entirely. Beyond epic.

Long Live Rock and Roll is far less ambitious, with six short songs (four of which are very good), and two that stretch things out a bit (Gates of Babylon is a very good album closer).

There are several live albums from the Dio era: the major release On Stage, and several more that have surfaced over the years. The playlists are rather indistinguishable and interchangeable, from what I've heard. But they're quite good, despite the requisite solos and occasionally never-ending versions of some tracks. To be fair, they probably thrilled concertgoers in the mid-'70s but now seem mostly over-indulgent as 35+ year old recordings.

Down To Earth was next and was the only album featuring Graham Bonnet as singer. The sound is tighter, straighter, and has lost all traces of dragons and wizards, if there were any left over from the previous LP. Bonnet's a good growler, but It's almost his only trick. The songs are a third great, a third good, and a third forgettable. Since You Been Gone was the hit.

All three-and-a-half Joe Lynn Turner albums (Difficult to Cure, Jealous Lover [EP], Straight Between the Eyes and Bent Outta Shape) are well-made pop metal efforts. You'll find that each album is half excellent and half decent. Ritchie Blackmore's classical leanings pop up more here than in Rainbow's previous incarnations.

Finyl Vinyl is a collection of live songs featuring all three singers and is strangely cross-faded non-chronologically. Taken individually, the songs are generally good.

Stranger In Us All popped up unexpectedly in the mid-90s with yet another singer - Doogie White. He's very capable and talented, if not overly impressive. The four songs I own are surprisingly good, but no sane person would have set their expectations very high. I can't speak for the remainder of the album.

A couple weeks ago, a live set from 1995 called Black Masquerade featuring the Doogie White Rainbow lineup appeared on iTunes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Love the Rainbow.

I grew up on the Joe Lynn Turner stuff, but realized quickly that the older, Dio stuff was more my style.

In case you want to know more, I decided to share my thoughts:

Leaving Deep Purple, Blackmore abducted Dio's band Elf to form his new band Rainbow. Writing and recording their first album (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow), they created a sub-genre of hard rock now known as Castle Rock. This first effort is more folky and medieval than anything that followed. It features the beer anthem Man on the Silver Mountain.

The second album, Rising, isn't perfect (Run with the Wolf Rates about a "C+" and Do You Close Your Eyes a "C"), but the other 4 songs are monumental, from the pop-metal of Starstruck, to the early speed metal of Light in the Black, to the classic Dio metal of Tarot Woman. Stargazer is in another class entirely. Beyond epic.

Long Live Rock and Roll is far less ambitious, with six short songs (four of which are very good), and two that stretch things out a bit (Gates of Babylon is a very good album closer).

There are several live albums from the Dio era: the major release On Stage, and several more that have surfaced over the years. The playlists are rather indistinguishable and interchangeable, from what I've heard. But they're quite good, despite the requisite solos and occasionally never-ending versions of some tracks. To be fair, they probably thrilled concertgoers in the mid-'70s but now seem mostly over-indulgent as 35+ year old recordings.

Down To Earth was next and was the only album featuring Graham Bonnet as singer. The sound is tighter, straighter, and has lost all traces of dragons and wizards, if there were any left over from the previous LP. Bonnet's a good growler, but It's almost his only trick. The songs are a third great, a third good, and a third forgettable. Since You Been Gone was the hit.

All three-and-a-half Joe Lynn Turner albums (Difficult to Cure, Jealous Lover [EP], Straight Between the Eyes and Bent Outta Shape) are well-made pop metal efforts. You'll find that each album is half excellent and half decent. Ritchie Blackmore's classical leanings pop up more here than in Rainbow's previous incarnations.

Finyl Vinyl is a collection of live songs featuring all three singers and is strangely cross-faded non-chronologically. Taken individually, the songs are generally good.

Stranger In Us All popped up unexpectedly in the mid-90s with yet another singer - Doogie White. He's very capable and talented, if not overly impressive. The four songs I own are surprisingly good, but no sane person would have set their expectations very high. I can't speak for the remainder of the album.

A couple weeks ago, a live set from 1995 called Black Masquerade featuring the Doogie White Rainbow lineup appeared on iTunes.

Hope this helps.

:notworthy:

THANK YOU!! Will be checking ALL of this out when I'm on the good laptop that has my iTunes on it lol ;)

I love all the eras of Rainbow. The Bonnet-JLT albums are so different from the RJD albums, but its all good stuff. Even Stranger in Us All with Doogie White.

Fun fact. The cover of Difficult to Cure was actually supposed to be used by Black Sabbath on Never Say Die!

That's a great fact!

And now Rodrigo tells us over in the Iron Maiden thread that Doogie White auditioned for Maiden when Bruce left!

Rainbow rocks (I've got Long Live Rock and Roll in my head now). Dio was great and I liked the JLT era too. The only Rainbow singer I never really cared for was Graham Bonnet

Stargazer is one of my favs. Dio is a monster and this is one my my favourite solos from Ritchie. And the drum intro rocks :haz: I always play this one *very* loud.

http://youtu.be/3NLDYEsppws

• Like 6

I love all the eras of Rainbow. The Bonnet-JLT albums are so different from the RJD albums, but its all good stuff. Even Stranger in Us All with Doogie White.

Fun fact. The cover of Difficult to Cure was actually supposed to be used by Black Sabbath on Never Say Die!

That's a great fact!

And now Rodrigo tells us over in the Iron Maiden thread that Doogie White auditioned for Maiden when Bruce left!

I would take Doogie over Blaze any day! He sang one or two songs on a Maiden Tribute a few years back and sounded great. Check it out:

• Like 1

Stargazer & A Light In The Black- WOW!!!! =0

SO GOOD.

And they're long, AND they're epic, AND I do believe I like this band already. =D

• Like 4

iTunes- open.

Commence getting Rainbow music. Excited!

Make sure you get the non album Jealous Lover. Maybe my favorite Rainbow tune.

Just heard it. Very good! thanks!

I love the Dio era

Long Live Rock & Roll is their Masterpiece imo

• Like 3

The first Rainbow LP I bought was Long Live Rock 'N' Roll back in the day ('78) and it blew my mind. Loved the whole LP until Rainbow Eyes and I couldn't believe that the same group of people had put this track together. What a pile of shi ....! The album would have been a 5 star classic but for 'Eyes'. The Shed (Subtle) and the title track are excellent.

As for Rising - I loved this album, but as I've got older it doesn't hold the same appeal. Perhaps I overplayed the vinyl. Even back then I didn't see why people loved Light in the Black. I could quite honestly turn the track off, especially after the magic of Stargazer.

After 'Down To Earth' I lost interest in Blackmore's constant changing of the line-up and the more commercial direction he was looking to go towards. Since You've Been Gone ranks below 'Eyes' IMHO and should only be listened to at weddings.

The first Rainbow LP I bought was Long Live Rock 'N' Roll back in the day ('78) and it blew my mind. Loved the whole LP until Rainbow Eyes and I couldn't believe that the same group of people had put this track together. What a pile of shi ....! The album would have been a 5 star classic but for 'Eyes'. The Shed (Subtle) and the title track are excellent.

As for Rising - I loved this album, but as I've got older it doesn't hold the same appeal. Perhaps I overplayed the vinyl. Even back then I didn't see why people loved Light in the Black. I could quite honestly turn the track off, especially after the magic of Stargazer.

After 'Down To Earth' I lost interest in Blackmore's constant changing of the line-up and the more commercial direction he was looking to go towards. Since You've Been Gone ranks below 'Eyes' IMHO and should only be listened to at weddings.

Get the hell outta here, Rainbow Eyes is a great tune. More rock bands should write ballads like that:

J2112YYZ

Posted Yesterday, 05:06 PM

snapback.png

fritz44, on 04 September 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Get the hell outta here, Rainbow Eyes is a great tune. More rock bands should write ballads like that:

I'm outta here! It's a pile of pants.

Martin Birch should have said, "Nice tune lads, but let's put that on the B-side of the wedding single when we do Since You've Been .... Now go and write a song that suits the rest of the album, something that actually rocks perhaps? Remember the title of the album - Long Live ROCK 'N' ROLL! It's not poor your bleeding heart out over some pixie dust fairies with coloured eyes! Blackmore - remember the ethos for 'In Rock'? This band isn't about minstrels and flutes."

Rant over.