Is RUSH better than the Beatles

losingit2k

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is RUSH Better than The Beatles

• Yes
    • No
    • The Same

Like everyone else here, I love Rush. But The Beatles are the greatest band ever.

As an aside, I'd also argue that the ability to competently play every instrument on a commercially released album, as McCartney has done, is pretty good evidence of being a good musician.

Yeah, not only can Macca play many instuments well, he can play them all better than Geddy (with the probable exception of bass). Paul could also kick Geddy's ass playing a bunch of glasses. Does this make Paul better than Geddy? :huh: Just because Rush has been a band four times longer than The Beatles, does that make Rush better? :huh:

Silly thread = thread silly.

It's almost impossible to vote in this poll. I can't say this or that band is better. So I'll go with...

Rush - best band in the clockwork universe.

The Beatles - best band across the universe.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.../Thread! :D

• Like 1

The Beatles are just not my generation (hell Rush's first album was released the year I was born). Music is a generational thing and I have every Beatles album there is yet I have never really liked any thing of theirs except a few songs here and there. I can understand why how the people who grew up with them would love them as much as say I still to this day love Def Leppard Pyromania (which I listened to when it came out when I was 9 years old and every day since) I'm happy to say most of my favorite rock is from the 80's.

The Beatles are just not my generation (hell Rush's first album was released the year I was born). Music is a generational thing and I have every Beatles album there is yet I have never really liked any thing of theirs except a few songs here and there. I can understand why how the people who grew up with them would love them as much as say I still to this day love Def Leppard Pyromania (which I listened to when it came out when I was 9 years old and every day since) I'm happy to say most of my favorite rock is from the 80's.

I don't think music is a generational thing. It's a good music/bad music thing.

• Like 3

It's all based on opinion, but The Beatles had more of an advantage with all of the media attention and all the stuff that Rush didn't get their fair share of. However, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession. Although Alex and Geddy dropped out, Neil actually went to Berklee Collage of Music. So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

But it's still a matter of opinion.

Yeah, absolutely. The Beatles last album came out when I was 1 years old. I love them because they were brilliant, not because I grew up with them. My favorite music is from the mid-60's to the late 70's - that's not because it's music I grew up with - it isn't. I grew up with 80's music, but I listen to 60's and 70's stuff because it's simply the best music made.

It's all based on opinion, but The Beatles had more of an advantage with all of the media attention and all the stuff that Rush didn't get their fair share of. However, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession. Although Alex and Geddy dropped out, Neil actually went to Berklee Collage of Music. So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

The Beatles had an advantage of being in the right place at the right time, for sure, but it was because they were musical geniuses that they were as popular and influential as they've been. Yes, Rush are better technical musicians and are brilliant, but you just can't underestimate the sheer power of crafting songs that speaks to a generation and continues to speak to people the way The Beatles have on the level they have.

The funny thing is, I was listening to a Beatles song this morning after I saw this thread. It was the song Two Of Us from Let It Be. I tried to think of any Rush song that could compare in terms of melodicism, accessibility and message, and the only song I could really think of was Closer to the Heart, and MAYBE Tom Sawyer. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE Rush, and personally they are my favorite band, but they don't come anywhere close to The Beatles in terms of melody, accessibility, profundity, influence and importance.

• Like 2

Correct, but not everybody agrees :)

The Beatles had an advantage of being in the right place at the right time, for sure, but it was because they were musical geniuses that they were as popular and influential as they've been. Yes, Rush are better technical musicians and are brilliant, but you just can't underestimate the sheer power of crafting songs that speaks to a generation and continues to speak to people the way The Beatles have on the level they have.

The funny thing is, I was listening to a Beatles song this morning after I saw this thread. It was the song Two Of Us from Let It Be. I tried to think of any Rush song that could compare in terms of melodicism, accessibility and message, and the only song I could really think of was Closer to the Heart, and MAYBE Tom Sawyer. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE Rush, and personally they are my favorite band, but they don't come anywhere close to The Beatles in terms of melody, accessibility, profundity, influence and importance.

I rarely agree with the hippy, but dammit, he nailed it.

• Like 4

, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession.

So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

What. The. f**k. Are. You. On. And why have you stopped taking it?

Rush proudly display their musical diplomas at every venue they perform to prove they are better than most bands. Self-taught, HA!

• Like 2

It'll go to Goob's head, and we'll have to live with the fallout of that for the next nine years :P, but I agree with you about agreeing with him. And I like what ReRushed said earlier -- good music is good music!

• Like 1

This post reminded me of the following quote: "The Beatles achieve probably better than anyone the ability to make you tap your foot first time round, dig the words sixth time round, and get into the guitar slowly panning the twentieth time." - Robert Fripp

• Like 1

Silly poll. They are apples to oranges. Rush isn't nearly accessible as the Beatles. I don't care for most of the Beatles' music. Too mellow for me, but there is no denying that few bands have made a more profound contribution to Rock and Roll.

...Neil actually went to Berklee Collage of Music.

He did?

The Berklee Collage of Music. It's a craft store down the block from the Berklee College of Music.

That's it. Petrucci was the barista in the cafe part. He did a mean half caf macchiatto with a caramel twist. Even with his humoungous He-Man biceps, he had the touch of a delicate princess when it came to the ol' caffeine.
  • Like 2

, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession.

So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

What. The. f**k. Are. You. On. And why have you stopped taking it?

I think it's called "trying to get a rise" my poor exasperated one :sigh:

It'll go to Goob's head, and we'll have to live with the fallout of that for the next nine years :P, but I agree with you about agreeing with him. And I like what ReRushed said earlier -- good music is good music!

LOL - it won't go to my head too much - people rarely agree with me! :P