Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

1. Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s. (35 votes [32.41%])

Percentage of vote: 32.41%

2. Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music (21 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

3. No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details (27 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music (25 votes [23.15%])

Percentage of vote: 23.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

View Postbathory, on 30 August 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostSlack jaw gaze, on 30 August 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I've never heard someone not say it, but ...
That phrase will cause a brain reset if you really try and interpret it.
every person ledrush meets is compelled to inform him that the 80s had the worst music

And that's all they say.  Over and over and over...

I think we can read the implied "when asked about it" :D

Sponsored Post

#42 Powderfinger

Powderfinger

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Spaghetti

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

I don't even think of Moving Pictures as an 80s album. So despite never giving this any thought, I must conclude that Permanent Waves is a 70s album.

I sort of think of Signals as both the last 70s album and the first 80s album. But at the same time, I consider Signals the final album of the classic period. In my listening experience P/G, and not Signals, represents the more profound stylistic shift, and is a true 80s album.

I'm sure none of this makes any sense. I'm a historian; I'm trained to challenge simple decade-based periodization. ;)

I need more coffee...

#43 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

View Postrushgoober, on 30 August 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostRushBoingo, on 30 August 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Well for me, it's 80s all the way, both in date and in sound. One fact I like to boast about Rush is that they kicked off the decade that a lot of people consider to have the most memorable music, and not to mention such a strong testament of a song to kick it off with. Musically it sounds way closer to Moving Pictures than Hemspheres, so I will go with 80s. Though the intro videos for the Time Machine Tour seem to dictate that the band members consider it to be an album from 79 (and moving pictures being from 1980 for that matter). I personally like to look at their albums in pairs rather than quads. They have the Hard Rock, Trio-prog, Synth Prog, Classic rock, Simple Synth, Heavy Synth, Alternative, Heavy Folk Rock, and refined metal combo's. (Feedback not included, Clockwork Angels awaiting duo album name should it come).

I think most people think that the 80s generally had the worst music of the 1960-2000 period.  By far.  Compare to the brilliance of the 70s and 90s, I really don't think it's close.  I haven't given much thought to the 2000s, though.

i don't think most people think that, just as i don't think most people share a lot of your musical views.  as far as i'm concerned, each successive decade post-70's has become more and more bleak musically.  and i do actually think there was some brilliant music in the 90's, but it was generally non mainstream genres like ambient, shoegaze and trip-hop, but even those by the mid 90's were losing their luster.  popular music from the 90's, outside of the rare exception, pretty much sucked.  at least popular music in the 80's was fun, if lightweight.  popular music in the 90's was just kind of a downer, and popular music post-90's is pretty vapid.

The 90s brought a rejuvenation of rock and roll and guitar based music into popular music after being secondary since the late 70s.  1987-89 saw a bit of a surge in this, but bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, the Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, and others brought guitar and rock into prominence in the pop realm, being played on the radio incessantly and dominating the sales charts while the pop artists of the 80s all climbed into holes and died.

#44 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9830 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I never even knew until about a year or so ago that the album was released on January 1, 1980. All I knew for most of my years as a fan is that the album came out in 1980, therefore I've always considered it an 80s album. I get more of an 80s vibe from Permanent Waves but that's probably because I've always thought of it as an 80s record. It certainly didn't sound anything like the bands previous few albums and it marked a big change in musical direction for them.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 30 August 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#45 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18927 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postcircumstantial tree, on 29 August 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

I think Permanent Waves sounds more like Signals than AFTK.

Same here.

#46 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18927 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postbathory, on 30 August 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

I love how we can talk about this shit forever
Sincerity or sarcasm there?

#47 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think that because my first intro into Rush's back catalog was Chronicles, I always thought of PeW as being more closely linked to the earlier material than the synth material.

#48 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postrushgoober, on 29 August 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

i'll vote 80's, if for no other reason than to bug ledrush :P

Phew.  If Rushgoober disagrees with me I know I'm right.  If he said he hates Hitler, I'd have to rethink my position on that.

#49 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

Ye Old Morel Sniffer

• Members *
  • 10507 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I personally like to look at their albums in pairs rather than quads. They have the Hard Rock, Trio-prog, Synth Prog, Classic rock, Simple Synth, Heavy Synth, Alternative, Heavy Folk Rock, and refined metal combo's. (Feedback not included, Clockwork Angels awaiting duo album name should it come).

You should have named the albums that you pair together, and in which category. Assuming you've listed your "album duos" in chronological order, the albums would be paired as follows:

Hard Rock: Rush, Fly By Night
Trio Prog: COS, 2112
Synth Prog: AFTK, Hemispheres
Classic Rock: PeW, MP
Simple Synth: Signals, GUP
Heavy Synth: PoW, HYF

Here's where things get problematic:

Alternative: Presto, RTB
Heavy Folk Rock: Counterparts, T4E
Refined Metal: VT, Snakes & Arrows
:huh:

It's difficult to fit the post-HYF releases into your last three categories, even if I shuffle them around:

Alternative: Counterparts, T4E
Heavy Folk Rock: Snakes and Arrows
Refined Metal: Vapor Trails

This makes Heavy Folk Rock and Refined Metal monotypic categories, and leaves Presto and RTB unclassified.

#50 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

View Postbathory, on 30 August 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Cocteau twins

:wub:

#51 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Well for me, it's 80s all the way, both in date and in sound. One fact I like to boast about Rush is that they kicked off the decade that a lot of people consider to have the most memorable music, and not to mention such a strong testament of a song to kick it off with. Musically it sounds way closer to Moving Pictures than Hemspheres, so I will go with 80s. Though the intro videos for the Time Machine Tour seem to dictate that the band members consider it to be an album from 79 (and moving pictures being from 1980 for that matter). I personally like to look at their albums in pairs rather than quads. They have the Hard Rock, Trio-prog, Synth Prog, Classic rock, Simple Synth, Heavy Synth, Alternative, Heavy Folk Rock, and refined metal combo's. (Feedback not included, Clockwork Angels awaiting duo album name should it come).

I think most people think that the 80s generally had the worst music of the 1960-2000 period.  By far.  Compare to the brilliance of the 70s and 90s, I really don't think it's close.  I haven't given much thought to the 2000s, though.

i don't think most people think that, just as i don't think most people share a lot of your musical views.  as far as i'm concerned, each successive decade post-70's has become more and more bleak musically.  and i do actually think there was some brilliant music in the 90's, but it was generally non mainstream genres like ambient, shoegaze and trip-hop, but even those by the mid 90's were losing their luster.  popular music from the 90's, outside of the rare exception, pretty much sucked.  at least popular music in the 80's was fun, if lightweight.  popular music in the 90's was just kind of a downer, and popular music post-90's is pretty vapid.

The 90s brought a rejuvenation of rock and roll and guitar based music into popular music after being secondary since the late 70s.  1987-89 saw a bit of a surge in this, but bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, the Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, and others brought guitar and rock into prominence in the pop realm, being played on the radio incessantly and dominating the sales charts while the pop artists of the 80s all climbed into holes and died.

THOSE bands are your example of good music? :unsure:

#52 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postrushgoober, on 30 August 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Phew.  I'm right again.  Though I'm not into Nirvana.

#53 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

View Postrushgoober, on 30 August 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Phew.  I'm right again.  Though I'm not into Nirvana.

Didn't answer my question, but I guess that's ok... :unsure:

#54 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

View Postbathory, on 30 August 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostSlack jaw gaze, on 30 August 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 30 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I've never heard someone not say it, but ...
That phrase will cause a brain reset if you really try and interpret it.
every person ledrush meets is compelled to inform him that the 80s had the worst music

And that's all they say.  Over and over and over...

I think we can read the implied "when asked about it" :D

sorry I was pulling a JARG

#55 Slack jaw gaze

Slack jaw gaze

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2247 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

To illustrate just how wild I am, I don't sub-divide my album collection by decade. I'm so off-the-hook I don't even have them sorted by chronological order. I don't have artists mixed however. I'm not insane.

Subdivisions -
In the message boards
In the album hoards
Be prog or be cast out

Drawn like moths we drift into the chasm
The timeless old attraction
Lumping stuff by decades
As it it has some meaning
Just because a number's mod 10

Subdivisions -
In the message boards
In the album hoards
Be synth or be cast out

#56 Bastille Dave

Bastille Dave

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1942 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

PeW was a transitional album, kinda caught in the middle between 70's and 80's, as were alot of releases around '79 to '81. Not quite the 1980's mentality yet but at the same time awakening from the 70's smoke-filled haze and trying something new. But if you twisted my arm, I'd lump Permanent Waves in the 1970's catagory. I always look at the release date of an album and subtract 4-6 months or so and to me that is when the album was truly created. Rush were creating these songs during the end of the Tour Of The Semispheres, which was very much steeped in all it's 70's glory. :smoke:

#57 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

I always think of Vital Signs as the track that brought RUSH into the 80's in term of song and structure.  It's a pretty clear segue into New Wave influenced song-writing. (meanwhile, speaking of the 80's sound, "What I Like About You" comes on Sirius :lol:  )

#58 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6125 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

I still can't decide which decade I would put Permanent Waves in. Guess it's too much a crossover album.

IMO and all that ;)

#59 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 7919 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

Think it's definitely a 70's album to me. It leads the boys straight into the new decade, to the almost perfect sound of MP.

#60 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think it's very 70's. It has that 70's sound to it, but you can tell that they were going into a new era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users