Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

LedRush

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

• Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s.
    • Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music
    • No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details
    • No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music

It's really a seventies album. The only reason the release was delayed until January 1, 1980 is on account of whatshisname's bright idea that the album would do better on Billboard or something. I forget the details now. But I am sure others are up on the facts here. If not, Brucey will regale us with more dog tales and pictures of his fierce companion.

Or we can continue posting silly pictures.

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/funny191.jpg

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

It's really a seventies album. The only reason the release was delayed until January 1, 1980 is on account of whatshisname's bright idea that the album would do better on Billboard or something. I forget the details now. But I am sure others are up on the facts here. If not, Brucey will regale us with more dog tales and pictures of his fierce companion.

Or we can continue posting silly pictures.

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/funny191.jpg

http://cdn.musiciantuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/alex-lifeson-snail.jpg

• Like 2

I once believed it was an 80's album. Then I was presented the FACTS and I was big enough to admit I was wrong.

Some people can't admit mistakes.

• Like 4

Come on people, I won't convince you. Musically PeW is the 80's album all the way. It doesn't matter when it was produced, musically that album belongs to the 80's, period!

After Hemispheres Rush broke off with the 70's sound. PeW doesn't sound remotely similar to its predecessor Hemispheres, and it's much less prog rock album than Hemispheres.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

The majority (slim as it may be), myself included, feels that Permanent Waves is a '70s album. Just thought it was worth pointing out.
  • Like 2

The majority (slim as it may be), myself included, feels that Permanent Waves is a '70s album. Just thought it was worth pointing out.

Don't be surprised if someone points out to you that might doesn't make right.

I will be seated on the sidelines waiting for that post, and also to see what John Rogers will post next. I believe the ball is in his court now.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Also, in the Rush time continuum, stylistically, the 80s didn't begin until 82. Permanent Waves is actually a mid-late 70s album.

Facts are boring. Speculative insight based on deep emotional connection is worth so much more.

• Like 2

Ford makes a good point. One that works well in his galaxy and elsewhere. Beware of emotional decisions.

Employ the Jiminy Cricket method: Give a little whistle and let your conscience be your guide! :codger:

:)

PeW doesn't sound remotely similar to its predecessor Hemispheres, and it's much less prog rock album than Hemispheres.

I couldn't disagree more. The track lengths got shorter but the HEMI sound is still present.

PeW doesn't sound remotely similar to its predecessor Hemispheres, and it's much less prog rock album than Hemispheres.

I couldn't disagree more. The track lengths got shorter but the HEMI sound is still present.

I couldn't disagree with your disagreement more!

I dislike Hemispheres and love Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire... Though there is a clear evolution from Permanent Waves onward, there is a stylistic through-line that starts after Hemispheres. The sound prior to the release of Permanent Waves is never really repeated. The only song off Hemispheres that would fit on Permanent Waves is Circumstances. So overall practically nothing from Hemispheres is retained. One should also remember that 2112 outsold all prior RUSH albums at the time, and although today it has less copies sold, in 1977 A Farewell To Kings had outsold its predecessor, while Hemispheres sold far less than the two prior albums. The band was legitimately afraid of declining sales and made a conscious decision to change their sound in order to ensure continuing popularity. This in itself to me makes Permanent Waves an 80s album, because a decision was made to change the sound of the band. It resulted in unprecedented sales, which in turn, resulted in a dynamic shift in how RUSH went about writing songs and recording albums that would continue for all the albums released in the 80s, if not arguably for their entire career.

• Like 1

I couldn't disagree with your disagreement more!

This in itself to me makes Permanent Waves an 80s album, because a decision was made to change the sound of the band. It resulted in unprecedented sales, which in turn, resulted in a dynamic shift in how RUSH went about writing songs and recording albums that would continue for all the albums released in the 80s...

That decision came about in 1979 at the latest, that decision was put into practice in 1979. BAM...70's album!

• Like 2

The thread title is FALSE. PeW cannot be defined by mere spatial and chronological constraints...indeed it is a quantum leap forward in time and space.

Indeed. Some time ago — either on this thread or one of its predecessors — someone made a similarly astute observation: Permanent Waves exists between, beneath & behind mere decades and, hence, belongs to no decade at all.

I entirely agree with this assessment as it relates specifically to where it belongs stylistically. On the one hand, yeah, it represents a shift from Hemispheres, but to my listening a more definitive break occurs on Moving Pictures. There are song pairs to be made from Hem > PeW. I do not believe any such pairing exists from PeW > MP.

So I agree that the premise is not perfect. If I had to break it down, I would say that Permanent Waves is, in order:

1) a between the decades album

2) with feet firmly in the 70s

3) reaching forward into the unknown 80s

4) with SIDE B akin to what the artists had been working on

5) and SIDE A taking an additional step forward
  • Like 1

So I'm in some Tai Shan hole in the wall saloon in Effingham, Illinois. I play some Entré Nous on the jukebox. I hear this old woman, maybe 75 saying this is a great 80's album. I walked over and promptly punched her in the throat. The bouncer threw her out NOT ME, what does that tell you?
  • Like 2

So I'm in some Tai Shan hole in the wall saloon in Effingham, Illinois. I play some Entré Nous on the jukebox. I hear this old woman, maybe 75 saying this is a great 80's album. I walked over and promptly punched her in the throat. The bouncer threw her out NOT ME, what does that tell you?

She had a mullet?

• Like 1

That you're actually the bouncer but you refer to him as a separate individual?

http://www.danielkeyesauthor.com/images/minds.gif

• Like 2