2013-14 NHL Season Thread

blackhawkrush

Toews and Kane asking for $12 million each. We didn't win this year, one more chance next season. :sigh:

Give Toews what he wants - Don't risk it - Wrap him up, he is gold. Kane is no Toews.

Sorry, Alphy. Can't break up the set. Kane's been money and has scored some big goals for us. The city would go nuts if he were to leave.

I'd hate for them to break the set. I hope they work it out.

Wirtz will make sure of that. I just hope Teravainen and co. can keep our team above water. :unsure:

Seguin-Spezza-Eakin

That's the depth chart for Dallas at center now.

:cool:

Doesn't appear like the Stars give up much - granted, Spezza is a glorified rental unless he signs an extension with the Stars. Chiasson was too inconsistent, and the farm system is so loaded that it would take about four blockbuster trades to get rid of them all.

I'm eternally grateful to Dale Tallon for saving Dave Nonis from himself and giving Dave Bolland a marginally more insane deal than what the Leafs offered. The Robidas deal is risky as hell for a 37-year-old, but if he stays healthy he'll almost certainly improve the blueline for now. Replacing Kulemin and Raymond with Komarov and Frattin, though...eesh.

I don't get the Ryan Miller deal. Sure, there's questions about Lack as a starter, but wouldn't it make more sense to throw a one-year deal at a less-overrated goalie and find out what they have in Lack and Markstrom? It's an unnecessary commitment and given Miller's Blues stint, he isn't really any more of a sure thing than Lack at this point.

The Stars have to be getting pretty close to "contender" status now, no?

Edited by invisibleairwaves

I'm eternally grateful to Dale Tallon for saving Dave Nonis from himself and giving Dave Bolland a marginally more insane deal than what the Leafs offered. The Robidas deal is risky as hell for a 37-year-old, but if he stays healthy he'll almost certainly improve the blueline for now. Replacing Kulemin and Raymond with Komarov and Frattin, though...eesh.

I don't get the Ryan Miller deal. Sure, there's questions about Lack as a starter, but wouldn't it make more sense to throw a one-year deal at a less-overrated goalie and find out what they have in Lack and Markstrom? It's an unnecessary commitment and given Miller's Blues stint, he isn't really any more of a sure thing than Lack at this point.

Yes, the Stars did well for themselves. They're good down the middle now.

Not sure what to make of the Caps now. The Orpik deal is a head-scratcher, but then they get Niskanen.

The Spezza acquisition was awesome, but I'm really excited about the Hemsky signing. He was sort of buried in irrelevance in Edmonton, but when he moved to Ottawa and played with Michalek and Spezza, he really got a chance to get out and play. He's such a good one-on-one player, and it'll help the Stars - a team who struggled often on zone entries and exits. I'm excited.

• Like 1

And for blackhawkrush.. I love the Richards signing. An obvious upgrade over Handzus at second-line center, IMO.

Avs lose Stastny and bring in Iginla freeing up 1.5 million in cap space while getting the 2nd highest scoring player in the NHL right now. This is going to be great for the team moving forward. Add in Brad Stuart on D and Danny Briere and our team has just gained a bunch of experience which is needed. Next year is going to be fun.
  • Like 1

I love the Richards signing. An obvious upgrade over Handzus at second-line center, IMO.

Probably the best true second-line center the Hawks have had since Robert Lang(!?).

Too bad Brandon Bollig had to go. Quenneville likes to have a big lug in the lineup, and Bollig had actually gotten pretty good as far as big lugs go.

The Spezza acquisition was awesome, but I'm really excited about the Hemsky signing. He was sort of buried in irrelevance in Edmonton, but when he moved to Ottawa and played with Michalek and Spezza, he really got a chance to get out and play. He's such a good one-on-one player, and it'll help the Stars - a team who struggled often on zone entries and exits. I'm excited.

Yeah, Hemsky's great. Wish the Canucks had brought him in at some point in the last few years, but as far as I know they didn't even bother trying to get him (or Gaborik, or Vanek, or Spezza, or Seguin, or any of the other talented scorers who've been moved for cheap in the last year or so). Maddening.

I love the Richards signing. An obvious upgrade over Handzus at second-line center, IMO.

Probably the best true second-line center the Hawks have had since Robert Lang(!?).

Too bad Brandon Bollig had to go. Quenneville likes to have a big lug in the lineup, and Bollig had actually gotten pretty good as far as big lugs go.

Bollig, former Lincoln Star. :D

Toews and Kane get 8 more years, 10.5 million a year each. Well, at least it's not 12M. :martini:

Still, that's a lot of cap hit -- $21 million per year for just two players. Even if the cap goes up to $75 million next year the Hawks will still have some sacrifices to make to stay under it to try and keep a Cup-worthy team on the ice. Would have been nice to see those two guys take a little less money to help the team out.

Toews and Kane get 8 more years, 10.5 million a year each. Well, at least it's not 12M. :martini:

Still, that's a lot of cap hit -- $21 million per year for just two players. Even if the cap goes up to $75 million next year the Hawks will still have some sacrifices to make to stay under it to try and keep a Cup-worthy team on the ice. Would have been nice to see those two guys take a little less money to help the team out.

They did. At first they wanted the above mentioned 12M. We have some kids that maybe will be able to fill in some of the holes after next season.