Black Purple and Deep Sabbath Singers! Which Vocalist Kicks The Most Metal Arse?

RUSHHEAD666

Black Sabbath And Deep Purple Vocalist Poll! "POLLY DIVER?"   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Vocalist From Either Black Sabbath Or Deep Purple Do You Love The Most? Who Was the Best??????

• Rod Evans
    • Ian Gillan
    • David Coverdale
    • Glenn Hughes
    • Joe Lynn Turner
    • Ronnie James Dio
    • Ozzy Osbourne
    • Tommy Bolin
    • Tony Martin
    • Ray Gillen

Hey friends!! Been in a serious Black Sabbath/Deep Purple addiction over the weekend! Early Ozzy shit too! Never gets old.

So I was thinking guys and gals, who is the greatest singer off all time who has performed in either Black Sabbath or Deep Purple?

Tough question eh?

Hell, even Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughes sang in both bands!!!! "Born Again" Rules!!!!!! "Seventh Star" was ok!

Don't be "Zero The Hero." Please cast a vote if you can!

I'm sorry that Justin "Leave It To Beaver" and Taylor Not So Swift" have infected this Forum.

Metal and Hard Rock are dying, but we must find a way to keep it going. Redundant threads are ok. You never know if a newbie or some young kid will stumble upon it and fall in love with the METAL.

I'm blasting "Heaven And Hell" right now and I just bought my Black Sabbath ticket for next week at Mountain View. I'm going to the show alone. My wife never wants to see Black Sabbath with Ozzy. What a shame. She likes Luke Bryan and Keith Urban. I'm fukked.

Anyway I have no idea who is the best vocalist out of these two bands. Tough topic.

I might have to sleep on it.

Some of you know me very well even though I don't thread much on here anymore. I'm thinking the late great Ray Gillen.

Love,

SUN RED SUN

(Sun Red Sun was Ray Gillen's last band before he passed away from AIDS) The album kicks ass. Badlands rules by the way. Jake E. Lee is underrated.

"Bark At The Moon" guitar solo bitches!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

Hey Earl what's happening? :hail:

What did you think of the Raiders on Friday??

Meanwhile out of these singers, during their times in Purple or Sabbath,I'd go with Dio or Gillan in terms of singing. Ozzy was really cool for Sabbath in the 70's but if you take him out of that context and put him up against these other vocal legends as a pure singer he doesn't stack up.

• Like 1

I´ll go with Glenn because his voice stood the test of time to a much larger extent than the rest of the singers, although his style has little to do with Sabbath.

The question is who was best when they were in Sabbath or Purple, presumably at their peak. It's not fair to compare Hughes, who hasn't been in Purple for 37 years and not been in Sabbath for 27 years to the Gillan and Ozzy of today or Dio who is no longer with us. If you're talking proper Sabbath and Purple eras you're talking about the 1970's/early 80's.

• Like 1

I´ll go with Glenn because his voice stood the test of time to a much larger extent than the rest of the singers, although his style has little to do with Sabbath.

The question is who was best when they were in Sabbath or Purple, presumably at their peak. It's not fair to compare Hughes, who hasn't been in Purple for 37 years and not been in Sabbath for 27 years to the Gillan and Ozzy of today or Dio who is no longer with us. If you're talking proper Sabbath and Purple eras you're talking about the 1970's/early 80's.

If that´s how the game rolls, then I choose Dio. Hughes has titanic tonsils but his time in both bands were the highest point of his addictions - in Purple he was heroin parter of Tommy Bolin, and in Sabbath he was a complete mess - so much so that he couldn´t even finish a tour, and was replaced by Ray Gillen.

as far as their time in Sabbath/purple, ozzy was on the best Sabbath records and gillan was on the best purple records. the BEST singer out of the whole bunch has gotta be dio though. coverdale was great in purple as well
  • Like 1

In his prime, Lord Trousersnake.

Just listen to Mistreated.

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are two of my favorite albums by anyone, and Dio is a big reason for that. I love the Sabbath run from the debut through the first half of Sabotage, and Ozzy deserves his share of the credit for that as well. But I agree that Coverdale on Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band was the "greatest singer" to perform in either band.

In his prime, Lord Trousersnake.

Just listen to Mistreated.

Lord Who..?

Lord Trousersnake of Covershire. (in my best Alan Partridge accent)

Oh! David Coverdale! :D

Gotta go with Glenn.

You don't have to. And you shouldn't. ;)

Great, great voice. Not sure it worked with DP & BS.

Oh, get his autobiography. What a read!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure. I read a book about Sabbath called something like "The Battle for Black Sabbath." It sounded like Glenn was giving Ozzy a run for his money in the mid 80s.

Gotta go with Glenn.

You don't have to. And you shouldn't. ;)

Great, great voice. Not sure it worked with DP & BS.

Oh, get his autobiography. What a read!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure. I read a book about Sabbath called something like "The Battle for Black Sabbath." It sounded like Glenn was giving Ozzy a run for his money in the mid 80s.

It's hilarious, he actually out-Ozzied Ozzy at times. Lunatic.

By the way, Earl, you mistakenly put Joe Lynn Turner on there. Slaves and Masters is a Rainbow album.

What? It's not? Are you sure? :)

:ebert: :clap:

Deep Purple´s first ever concert in Rio was on the Slaves & Masters Tour, and JLT was booed a lot during it. As much as I didn´t like the album all that much back then, I paid to be at the concert, and was completely against booing them. Alas, it´s something Brazilian audiences do a lot - their excuse is that they are "passionate".

Nowadays, I feel that when compared to Machine Head, Burn, Stormbringer etc., Slaves & Masters is not that good, but as a stand alone effort, I quite like it.

And speaking of Coverdale, he sings on one of the tracks of The Winery Dogs´ debut, check it out:

If that´s how the game rolls, then I choose Dio. Hughes has titanic tonsils but his time in both bands were the highest point of his addictions - in Purple he was heroin parter of Tommy Bolin, and in Sabbath he was a complete mess - so much so that he couldn´t even finish a tour, and was replaced by Ray Gillen.

Yeah, I still like his performances on Burn, Stormbringer, Come Taste the Band and Seventh Star, undoubted classic albums (even though some people don't subscribe to Seventh Star). Maybe all that wasted time in the late 70's and 80's inadvertently preserved his voice and energy for bands like BCC decades later.

I grew up with Ozzy and saw Sabbath with Ozzy 72-77 so I bailed out of Sabbath after he left. Dio ? not me...never have, never will. Dio ? Dio ?

Ian for Deep Purple.

Edited by custom55