Hold Your Fire: the directors' cuts?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Hold Your Fire or Fire away (36 member(s) have cast votes)

If HYF had been limited to 22'30" per side, would it have been perfect?

1. Nah, I wouldn't like it anyway. (4 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. No way, José Feliciano, leave it the way it is! (24 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. Absolutely. See my track list is in the comments section. (8 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

I'd lose Second Nature, Tai and High Water. Then it would be almost a perfect album for its era

Sponsored Post

#82 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

"Hold Your Fire" is a masterpiece.  A perfect album for that time period.  I know many don't agree with me but hey it is what it is.  "Hold Your Fire" is one of my all time favorites to drum too.  Even "Tai Shan" is fun.  Love that china boy.  GET IT?  LOL!

#83 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

View Postjnoble, on 23 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

I'd lose Second Nature, Tai and High Water. Then it would be almost a perfect album for its era

Funny I just wrote my post before reading yours.  I totally disagree.  Those three songs are perfect they way they are in order on that record.

#84 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

The Seeker

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:29 AM

Great comments one and all! Thank you! When I posted this almost three-&-a-half years ago, I was not too hip on Second Nature and Tai Shan, and I had sympathy at any rate to those not thrilled with High Water either. I didn't really care for either Turn the Page or Mission at that time, but the video of the guy covering Alex' guitar on it completely sucked me in. I love it now. Now my two omissions would be Turn the Page and Tai Shan. Either way, the album is deeply important to me and I find it remarkable that this band called RUSH, who I grew up on and stuck it out with could go from By Tor to Open Secrets, and everything beneath, between, & behind it.

To each our own. The great news is that I was just toying with what occurred to me re. the length of the album and I wonder what the band would have done if fifty minutes or more wasn't even a consideration for release (let alone DDD).

#85 ctbadger

ctbadger

The Seeker

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

View PostCyclonus X-1, on 15 August 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'd have been happier with the record had it not included Turn the Page and Prime Mover.

They could've written the songs and learned from them without including them, thus making me happy and not sacrificing any beneficial learning experiences.  Doesn't matter what fans of those songs think, of course.

And those are two of my favorites from the album.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users