Favorite last chorus'/rideouts

Nate1647

Rush has always had a knack for building up to a tremendous final chorus, or achieving a glorious rideout for the finale of a song. What are your favorites, and why?

Honorable Mention goes to War Paint

I just love the drum fill that breaks open into the "Boys and girls together" lyric at the end. A driving, fun, energetic romp that was sort of reincarnated with "Wish Them Well."

5. Mission

Really starting with the "its cold comfort," line, this rideout climaxes one of Rush's most powerful lyrics, and explodes into one of Alex's finest pieces of work ever. The drumming during the final solo on the SnA dvd really lifts this into my top 5. Simply perfect. All of the power and emotion of the songs verses are bundled into 45 seconds of pure Rush feel-good bliss.

4. Marathon

When that choir hits for the final chorus, it's goosebump time. Combine that with the key change, and the constant layering of more strings and choir, and you've got yourself a real winner. The half-time ending really brings it home. This is another one of those feel good moments that Rush is so damn good at.

3. Vital Signs

Until the TMT dvd came out, I wouldn't have put this anywhere close. The sheer force that Neil plays with in this rideout live is ridiculous. Hook that up to a droning synth note, a killer bass solo, Alex's unique and constantly changing phrasing of the chords, and Geddy singing "Everybody got to xxxxxxxxx from the norm," and you've got something truly unique. That drumming though... only Neil could create a feel like that.

2. The Garden

I just love the string part. Over a pretty normal chord progression, Mr. Campbell came up with some really fantastic string lines, weaving their way in and out around Geddy's best vocal delivery ever. After taking into account the solo, and the last chorus (especially live where Ged sings the high harmony), I had a real hard time putting this in second place. But there is one song that I think takes the cake...

1. Clockwork Angels

Holy F***ing Christ. The first time I ever heard this song, I knew the last chorus was probably their finest moment of all time. First off, the lyrics. I love the return to the conceptual piece, the fact that we are envisioning this giant body of people worshiping these giant mechanical beings that they know nothing about. You can definitely tell Neil was going for the "church" feel. The actual delivery really reflects that, too. The "Geddy Choir" has never been used more perfectly than this. Then we've got Alex hammering away at those big open suspended Chords, and Geddy running the 16th notes underneath. When the chorus repeats though, that's where it gets unreal. That huge smack on the toms, the constant double bass drum attack (THATS HOW YOU USE DOUBLE BASS, metal drummers please take note), and keeping time on the ride, it just takes it to the next level. Then you've got the little tag at the end, just to come back and scare you one more time. When you look back at their body of work, and take everything into account, this section of the song just elevates to something I never thought I could experience in a piece of music.

Share your favorites!

• Like 6

Rush has always had a knack for building up to a tremendous final chorus, or achieving a glorious rideout for the finale of a song. What are your favorites, and why?

I just love the drum fill that breaks open into the "Boys and girls together" lyric at the end. A driving, fun, energetic romp that was sort of reincarnated with "Wish Them Well."

5. Mission

Really starting with the "its cold comfort," line, this rideout climaxes one of Rush's most powerful lyrics, and explodes into one of Alex's finest pieces of work ever. The drumming during the final solo on the SnA dvd really lifts this into my top 5. Simply perfect. All of the power and emotion of the songs verses are bundled into 45 seconds of pure Rush feel-good bliss.

4. Marathon

When that choir hits for the final chorus, it's goosebump time. Combine that with the key change, and the constant layering of more strings and choir, and you've got yourself a real winner. The half-time ending really brings it home. This is another one of those feel good moments that Rush is so damn good at.

3. Vital Signs

Until the TMT dvd came out, I wouldn't have put this anywhere close. The sheer force that Neil plays with in this rideout live is ridiculous. Hook that up to a droning synth note, a killer bass solo, Alex's unique and constantly changing phrasing of the chords, and Geddy singing "Everybody got to xxxxxxxxx from the norm," and you've got something truly unique. That drumming though... only Neil could create a feel like that.

2. The Garden

I just love the string part. Over a pretty normal chord progression, Mr. Campbell came up with some really fantastic string lines, weaving their way in and out around Geddy's best vocal delivery ever. After taking into account the solo, and the last chorus (especially live where Ged sings the high harmony), I had a real hard time putting this in second place. But there is one song that I think takes the cake...

1. Clockwork Angels

Holy F***ing Christ. The first time I ever heard this song, I knew the last chorus was probably their finest moment of all time. First off, the lyrics. I love the return to the conceptual piece, the fact that we are envisioning this giant body of people worshiping these giant mechanical beings that they know nothing about. You can definitely tell Neil was going for the "church" feel. The actual delivery really reflects that, too. The "Geddy Choir" has never been used more perfectly than this. Then we've got Alex hammering away at those big open suspended Chords, and Geddy running the 16th notes underneath. When the chorus repeats though, that's where it gets unreal. That huge smack on the toms, the constant double bass drum attack (THATS HOW YOU USE DOUBLE BASS, metal drummers please take note), and keeping time on the ride, it just takes it to the next level. Then you've got the little tag at the end, just to come back and scare you one more time. When you look back at their body of work, and take everything into account, this section of the song just elevates to something I never thought I could experience in a piece of music.

Share your favorites!

I agree with most, but I will replace The Garden (Which does nothing for me) with Countdown... In 1988 my friend and I recorded our own version of it, in honour of the first post-Challenger flight, and we had the NASA "talk" from that Shuttle Discovery flight instead of Columbia, and the original "Quite A View, Quite a view!" was replaced by Robin Williams' "Gooooood Morning Discovery!!!!!!!!!!!", so it always had special meaning for us... And the ending of the original Countdown video was always very cool to watch....

In the live version of Vital Signs, I always liked how Geddy started adding "Everybody got to EMANCIPATE from the norm" during the VT tour!

Edited by Supersyl

5. Mission

4. Marathon

3. Vital Signs

2. The Garden

1. Clockwork Angels

Share your favorites!

I agree with most, but I will replace The Garden (Which does nothing for me) with Countdown... In 1988 my friend and I recorded our own version of it, in honour of the first post-Challenger flight, and we had the NASA "talk" from that Shuttle Discovery flight instead of Columbia, and the original "Quite A View, Quite a view!" was replaced by Robin Williams' "Gooooood Morning Discovery!!!!!!!!!!!", so it always had special meaning for us... And the ending of the original Countdown video was always very cool to watch....

In the live version of Vital Signs, I always liked how Geddy started adding "Everybody got to EMANCIPATE from the norm" during the VT tour!

It just occurred to me, technically, as a drummer, the craziest and wackiest rideout to a song is Secret Touch... The studio version is complicated enough, the live version was just insane...

• Like 1

Red Lenses...When Geddy starts doing that Scat stuff and at the very end when he throws in that "OH!"

Love it.

And then Chemistry. After Geddy sings "Seems to me it's Chemistryyyyyyyy" for the last time. That whole outro with the guitar solo culminating with the "Chemistry" riff.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

I like the way the live version of The Analog Kid now ends with the chorus. Does anyone else think the outro to The Garden reminds them of the outro to The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel, it should have been longer?

5. Mission

4. Marathon

3. Vital Signs

2. The Garden

1. Clockwork Angels

Share your favorites!

Some of your descriptions gave me goosebumps! :)

The first song I thought of for this was 'Vital Signs'. The version from the Grace Under Pressure dvd made me look twice at a song I already really liked - I loved how Geddy sings the ending "Everybody got to"s, and shows some mellismatic skills he doesn't break out often. And coupled with the intense drumming, this is a great fade-out ending!

I also like the ending of 'Freeze', starting from the long, extended, "Sometimes I flyyyyyyyyyyyyy", and ending with huge, crunching riffing and a sudden stop.

I also have to agree with the live version of 'The Garden', with Geddy singing the high harmony on the ending verses - it sounds sooo good. Definitely a goosebump moment!

Gosh, there's probably so many more songs on my radar, but I could spend all day thinking through them all, and I gots gardens to weed, so off I go....

Best for me is The Pass, when everything cut's except Geddy's last words is so heavy hitting to the topic of the song. Marathon, Mystic Rhythms, Between the Wheels, and Xanadu are other really good Enders. Force Ten almost gets a pick too, except the re-use of the jackhammer at the end does not feel quite as right, like something else should be there, like a thunder clap. Also The Big Money's Ending is good live, just pure fun.

Making Memories

I think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Different Strings

The Enemy Within

Red Lenses

Between The Wheels

The Big Money (probably my favorite)

Prime Mover

Secret Touch (ok, maybe this one is my favorite!)

Tom Sawyer (so bourgeois I know...what can I tell you?) - I could listen to the last minute or so of that song forever, not to mention watch Geddy's hand go up and down the neck of his bass. Ironically though, it isn't his bass that is playing the part I like - it's Alex.

Countdown. The blend of the music and the Columbia lift off was a great concept. The video played during the Signals tour was pretty awesome as well.

That was the tour that should have been videoed

I find that "The Anarchist" has one of the greatest last chorus/rideouts starting with "Ohh ohh, they tried to get me, ohh ohh they'll never forget me..." But the line that takes it home for that one is "The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

This song resonated with me in a completely different way then it probably was originally intended, and even Neil said that when Geddy first sang that part, it took on a completely different meaning then he had intended...

But, in terms of classic early stuff, my absolute favorite chorus/rideout which I don't think anyone has mentioned is from The Analog Kid

"

When I leave I don't know

What I'm hoping to find

What I'm leaving behind..."

That is my most favorite chorus ever, period...

Edited by pfrushfan0122
  • Like 1

I find that "The Anarchist" has one of the greatest last chorus/rideouts starting with "Ohh ohh, they tried to get me, ohh ohh they'll never forget me..." But the line that takes it home for that one is "The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

This song resonated with me in a completely different way then it probably was originally intended, and even Neil said that when Geddy first sang that part, it took on a completely different meaning then he had intended...

But, in terms of classic early stuff, my absolute favorite chorus/rideout which I don't think anyone has mentioned is from The Analog Kid

"

What I'm hoping to find

What I'm leaving behind..."

That chorus is my favorite ever, period...

More Signals love! :ebert:

I just listened to Signals this morning on the train. I love that album. It was the last album, IMO, on which the synthesizers didn't overwhelm the songs.

In what universe do the synthesizers not overwhelm the songs on Signals?

And do you really think the they overwhelm the songs on Grace Under Pressure? I would agree with PoW and HYF.

• Like 1