Rush songs you used to,skip, but now enjoy

WavesandWindows

I'm going to take a baton from Lost In Xanadu's thread "TRF favourites you usually skip" and ask if there's songs that you used skip, but you're starting to enjoy now that you've had a little ensure to it.

I, for example, used to hate Necromancer, Alien Shore, most of the Synth Era, One Little Victory. ghost Rider, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Far Cry, Larger Bowl, Spindrift, Main Monkey Business, Way The Wind Blows, Hope, Faithless, MalNar, Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities Of Gold, Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and The Garden

Pretty much the entire synth era and Presto. I've come to really enjoy a lot of those songs, but it took several years. When they played Presto on the last tour, Presto went up another notch for me as I gave the entire album another listen. It's still not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy most of the album now.
  • Like 2

Being a Rush fan for 10 years, I finally listened to Grace Under Pressure LOUD a year ago! Then it just happened from there: Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Etc. Something clicked. I always overlooked all of their albums post-Signals. I think seeing them live helped me see the light, since they played all those Power Windows songs. Now, I see every Rush album has having something great. I am happy that I was able to get over my misconceptions of the later stuff.

"The Pass" always kind of made me cringe and now it is one of my faves. It's funny how tastes change!

Edited by Hemisteers
  • Like 4

There probably must be a few but I can't think of any. When an album is new I listen to all of it again and again. Later, as I get to know it more, I begin skipping songs. I imagine this being pretty typical. Off CA I skip 2 songs. But off S&A I skip between 4-6 songs

Out of the cradle is the single most skipped song for me that became one of my all time favs... Also heresey was of note i love that now too, but out of the cradle the standout.

I also disliked Cygnus X-1 Book I, and now I enjoy it.

Ha!!!!! first time my husband played it for me, I was super drunk and it terrified me,I made him turn it off LOL

I have to say pretty much the entire synth era. Especially hearing all the songs off of Power Windows this last tour. Something about hearing them live really brings them to life. :) I listen to Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, Manhattan Project, The Big Money, Territories and Marathon all the time now. They're in constant rotation. I'm still not a huge fan of Presto, but I like the title song.

The entire Fly By Night album (didn't get it at first, now I do), The Fountain of Lamneth, I See Red, Kid Gloves - that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, also Caravan and BU2B (once I heard them in context of CA) and Headlong Flight. Usually, however, if anything a song will drop in stature for me after an initial honeymoon period. For the most part, if I don't dig it right away, I'm not going to.

I'm going to take a baton from Lost In Xanadu's thread "TRF favourites you usually skip" and ask if there's songs that you used skip, but you're starting to enjoy now that you've had a little ensure to it.

I, for example, used to hate Necromancer, Alien Shore, most of the Synth Era, One Little Victory. ghost Rider, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Far Cry, Larger Bowl, Spindrift, Main Monkey Business, Way The Wind Blows, Hope, Faithless, MalNar, Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities Of Gold, Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and The Garden

Damn, baby. Funny thing, those are the songs I really enjoyed at first glance. So I'm guessing that you didn't skip Halo Effect and BU2B2 at first glance?

As for the topic, I don't think I have built enough of a sample size of songs that I would skip and then eventually enjoy.

The only one I can think of is Between Sun and Moon. I didn't really care for it for a while. I thought the beginning sounded like ACDC - I don't know, I just didn't care for it.

After hearing it live on the VT tour, I loved it.

'Tom Sawyer', 'Limelight', and 'YYZ'. And 'Freewill'.

I'd heard these songs so much, and they've never been my favourites, but in the past year or so I've grown more appreciative of them - how the drumming stands out on 'TS' and the instruments work really well together; how the guitar solo is so haunting in 'Limelight' and it has a nice groove; how 'YYZ' just kicks so much ass and is so representative of Geddy's bass prowess. And I've paid more attention to the lyrics in 'Freewill', wihch has elevated it to me.

So, I've stopped skipping these songs on my ipod - especially when I have so many different live versions of them, and hear different enjoyable nuances in each version. Also, experiencing the energy the crowd puts out when one of these songs is played live elevates it, too.

• Like 5

I'd heard these songs so much, and they've never been my favourites, but in the past year or so I've grown more appreciative of them - how the drumming stands out on 'TS' and the instruments work really well together; how the guitar solo is so haunting in 'Limelight' and it has a nice groove; how 'YYZ' just kicks so much ass and is so representative of Geddy's bass prowess. And I've paid more attention to the lyrics in 'Freewill', wihch has elevated it to me.

So, I've stopped skipping these songs on my ipod - especially when I have so many different live versions of them, and hear different enjoyable nuances in each version. Also, experiencing the energy the crowd puts out when one of these songs is played live elevates it, too.

My father in law is almost 70 and when he heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, he said the drums stood out and he was greatly impressed ;)

I LOVE a good live track! Many variations of their hits, and that's why those songs still entertain me.

I prefer live versions of several songs.

• Like 1

Working Backwards: Wish Them Well, Bravest Face, (All of Feedback), Vapor Trail, Alien Shore, The Big Wheel, War Paint, Second Nature, Grand Design, Red Lenses, Chemistry, Witch Hunt, Different Strings, Circumstances, Madrigal, Lessons, The Fountain of Lamneth, In the End, Before and After. :codger:

I kind of changed my whole perception of the "synth era" in the past couple of years. One song especially that I thought I would never get into was The Big Money. Experiencing that song live comepletely changes it for me. Geddy's bass work and Alex's harmonics laced solo really stand out to me as some of the best moments in any Rush song. I guess it was just the grating keyboard sounds that turned me off to it originally.

Other songs that I used to cringe at that I love now include Open Secrets, Mission, Between the Wheels, Superconductor, Sweet Miracle, Heresey, Rivendell, Brought Up to Believe, and Emotion Detector. Still can't get into Grand Designs though.

• Like 1

My father in law is almost 70 and when he heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, he said the drums stood out and he was greatly impressed ;)

I LOVE a good live track! Many variations of their hits, and that's why those songs still entertain me.

I prefer live versions of several songs.

Nothing beats a good live recording :). You get the immediate rawness of the music that often gets lots in multiple takes and layering in a studio.

Funny though, I used to be all over Tom Sawyer and Limelight, but now I often skip them in favor of some Open Secrets, or something from Power Windows. I did enjoy them live however :)