Rush songs you used to,skip, but now enjoy

WavesandWindows

"The Pass" always kind of made me cringe and now it is one of my faves. It's funny how tastes change!

Huh, me too! I guess it only works after a while of being a rush fan

"The Pass" always kind of made me cringe and now it is one of my faves. It's funny how tastes change!

Huh, me too! I guess it only works after a while of being a rush fan

I'm going to take a baton from Lost In Xanadu's thread "TRF favourites you usually skip" and ask if there's songs that you used skip, but you're starting to enjoy now that you've had a little ensure to it.

I, for example, used to hate Necromancer, Alien Shore, most of the Synth Era, One Little Victory. ghost Rider, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Far Cry, Larger Bowl, Spindrift, Main Monkey Business, Way The Wind Blows, Hope, Faithless, MalNar, Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities Of Gold, Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and The Garden

Damn, baby. Funny thing, those are the songs I really enjoyed at first glance. So I'm guessing that you didn't skip Halo Effect and BU2B2 at first glance?

As for the topic, I don't think I have built enough of a sample size of songs that I would skip and then eventually enjoy.

Halo Effect and BU2B2 are still a little off for me, I don't know why, but they just don't feel as strong as their fellow tracks

It's a tough question. There used to be whole albums that I skipped: Power Windows, GuP, and Presto, but in the last few years I gave them a try and now like them quite a bit, especially Presto. Years ago, I hated it, so much that I sold the CD to a used CD place. A few years ago I gave it another try and now it is among my favorites. How things change!

As for songs, I guess I could say Hemispheres. I always liked The Trees and La Villa Strangiato, but didn't get into Hemispheres as much. After hearing various live versions I started to like the song more an more.

Songs I didn't like initially which I like now would include: "Rivendell", "Between the Wheels", and "Available Light". Now I love those tunes. When it comes to albums, I have warmed up some to "Caress of Steel" and "Counterparts". Don't think I'll ever warm up to "Test for Echo"

Let's see, off the top of my head, Seven Cities of Gold, Halo Effect, and Wish Them Well were written off as the lesser tracks for CA upon first listen, but they have all grown on me to some degree, to really loving 7 Cities and Wish Them Well, and respecting Halo. Working Back, Peaceable Kingdom did not hold up well for first listen (I only got the album a month ago), but it is slowly growing on me as I give it background listens. Time And Motion Seemed directionless at first and clunky, but now I really enjoy it, Stick it Out was my first taste of Heavy Rush (I was used to their long songs and synth stuff only at the time) and it was hard to digest as I am not big on heavy metal (even though the song itself is grungy), Half the songs on Roll The Bones I found boring at first, High Water was another I passed off due to it's weak position as the last track on HYF for a while, Between the Wheels was another I skipped because I experienced it way to early in listening to Rush and I could not get past the "Ugly" Keyboard sound, but now it's a favorite. I also Skipped Natural science for the same reason as Between the Wheels. Rounding it off, I skipped a some of FBN's songs as it was my first pre 2112 album, and it was a little too hard rock for me at first.

Another mention for my recent-made appreciation for 'YYZ'. I was listening to a version last night, a recording of a Rush dress rehearsal before the opening date on the Test for Echo tour, and it was really good. At the beginning, there's a part where Alex jumps to the next part too early, and he stops while Geddy keeps laying down the proper bass part, and then Alex jumps back in a few bars later. It's fun to hear a goof-up, yes, but it brings to light how complex this song is, and how much awesome bass-ness there is in it. I used to think it was kind of a boring song - too much mathematical precision. Now I hear the small, awesome bass solos sprinkled throughout, the whipping sound of the drums, the intense, rollicking groove. And having watched this song be performed live, when I hear it now I can picture the boys just rocking out to it while playing it, and the crowd's energetic reaction. :)
  • Like 1

One song especially that I thought I would never get into was The Big Money. Experiencing that song live comepletely changes it for me.

:goodone: For me, add to that Force Ten, Red Sector A, and Mission. Much better songs for me when experienced collectively with thousands of other RUSH fans

Between the Wheels was another I skipped because I experienced it way to early in listening to Rush and I could not get past the "Ugly" Keyboard sound,

:yes: :cheers:

The Camera Eye – The beginning was a little slow for me at first, but now I think it makes phenomenal buildup for the ten-minute masterpiece that I had missed out on for so long.

Distant Early Warning – Skipped it as soon as I heard that gnarling…whatever that sound is in the beginning.

Resist – Sounded too simple to me at first, but great to play on piano!

R30 Overture – Simply because I thought it was a stupid idea, but I love the song choice.

Tom Sawy—never mind. Still skip that one.

Freeze, Kid Gloves, Turn The Page, Grand Designs, Cut To The Chase, Beneath, Between, Behind, and Bravado... I still can't get into half of HYF (Mission, Open Secrets Second Nature, Prime Mover), most of Test For Echo, and the shorter songs on AFTK (AFTK, Madrigal, Cinderella Man)... Maybe one day I'll come around...
  • Like 1

Freeze, Kid Gloves, Turn The Page, Grand Designs, Cut To The Chase, Beneath, Between, Behind, and Bravado... I still can't get into half of HYF (Mission, Open Secrets Second Nature, Prime Mover), most of Test For Echo, and the shorter songs on AFTK (AFTK, Madrigal, Cinderella Man)... Maybe one day I'll come around...

Ah! Cinderella Man. I almost forgot because I do listen to nearly every song but that one... and I will admit to skipping Lakeside Park.

lets see, in the last year, here are the songs that have grown on me

in the end

fountain of lamenth

marathon

territories

presto

available light

totem

vapor trail

A rediscovered gem.....a song I pretty much skipped 99.9% of the time....driving yesterday morning to my softball game 8AM...beautiful day...dual panel moon roof open....my shuffle pulled up:

Making Memories

Damn.....I loved it.

All of Power Windows. I started listening to it when I knew they were going to play a lot of songs on this last tour. Now I really love it.
  • Like 1

"Good News First"

It probably took me a few years to really notice this song. Snakes and Arrows musically has great sounds all over it. But there are many sounds that are bland and distracting as the album goes on and it gets a little boring. Not every song on there is like "Far Cry" and "Armor and Sword." I probably really noticed "The Larger Bowl" more after seeing it live.

I have been listening to Rush since just before Moving Pictures came out, I was 9/10 years old. Here are some of the other songs that took some time for me to really notice and enjoy:

"The Camera Eye"

This was the last song I really took in from Moving Pictures. I always liked it but at some point it really grabbed me. And I mean at some point in the mid 1990's is when I really experienced this song.

"The Weapon" and "Losing It"

I got Signals on album for Christmas in 1982. I loved side one so much that I just kept playing side one over and over. "New World Man" was already on the radio and "Countdown" was on MTV. It just took me time to get to those other two songs.

"Mission"

This song didn't stand out much for me until the radio released it live from A Show Of Hands. Hold Your Fire is probably my least favorite Rush album so this song to me really got some help with the live version. It sounded much better on the air waves and within the context of songs on A Show Of Hands.

"Warpaint"

This song didn't grab me as much when I got Presto. But seeing it played live really delivered this song in a way that to this day I can still hear it the way it sounded live. "Territories" was kind of revived for me too thanks to this last tour. Ordinarilly it might get skipped.

"The Speed of Love"

This song is lumped in between songs in a section of Counter Parts that I don't really care for. It's definately not on my wish list for seeing it played live but a decent song that supports some very good songs at the begining and the end of that album.

"Vapor Trail"

Vapor Trails is my other least favorite Rush album but the songs on there that are good are really good. But again this song is hiding out in the middle of a group of tracks that just don't do it for me (yet at least). It is a decent song with some vintage Rush melody and almost completely delivers. I'm suprized they didn't play it live on that tour.

• Like 1

I decided to give Seven Cities Of Gold a chance, still not completely sold on it, but after a return listen not as bad as I thought from the first try out.