Geddy called Tai Shan "an error"!!!!!!!!

WavesandWindows

Quick question, is there a way to remove this topic from the forum?

You started it :LOL:

Quick question, is there a way to remove this topic from the forum?

You started it :LOL:

I've realised my error and wish to finish it

He's entitled to his opinion. I think it's a little ungracious for artists to dis their own work in view of fans who love it, and I feel that it's better for artists to keep their negative opinions about their work to themselves to avoid insulting the tastes and feelings of their fans, but hey, artists are human and have tastes and feelings of their own and sometimes they really want to express them. It doesn't mean that their opinions are "right." They're just opinions.

Agree, they should never completely disparage any of their songs. Just say that its not one of their favorites, otherwise it becomes defined as a true blemish in their catalog.

They called Caress Of Steel one of their worst albums. Point made.

IMO, I don't think Rush are the best judges of what music they make that is the best.

• Like 1

this is the same band that left "Garden Road" off their first album and I think that song blows away all the songs on the first album.
  • Like 1

Honestly, I find the band's opinions on any given song or album of theirs to be just another opinion, even considering they're the ones who actually wrote/performed/recorded the song. It just so happens in this case that I agree with Geddy. There have been other times the band expressed love of a song or album that I hated. I think people put a lot of credence in what the band thinks, but it doesn't matter much to me.

That said, there are albums I particularly love by bands that aren't considered to be their best by far, and that the band members themselves have spoken against in some way; Lizard by King Crimson and Tales From Topograhic Oceans by Yes. I do find it a bit sad that some people involved reject their own works when I love it so much, but at the end of the day it's just one more person's opinion.

I absolutely LOVE Hold Your Fire. I think it's an incredible and criminally underrated album. It would easily be in my top 5 Rush albums ever, possibly top 3... if not for those two lemons at the end of the album. High Water and Tai Shan were indeed errors and are not worthy of the rest of the material on that album. Just one person's opinion. Some people, however, really get caught up in one person's opinion, no matter who that person might be. ;)

It's like Boston's Third Stage album. Everyone I know personally keeps talking about their debut, but this album's awesome.

Oh, and I do like Tai Shan ;)

Edited by hobo73
  • Like 1

I read that before and brushed it off. We are all artists in some sense and are critical of things we've done. I happen to love that song, but I can understand when the creator is critical of it. I do it all the time.

Thai Shan is a beautifully crafted song with inspiring lyrics. Its not a signature RUSH song, nor heavy or musically technical but its definately not "An Error". Not by a long shot. It captures a moment in time and reflects the words appropriately.

:codger:

• Like 1

So I have to travel to Tai Shan to enjoy the song? No thanks.

No! Just order Take out from your local Chinese Restaurant and crank it up. I'll tell ya, those egg rolls might never tasted better.

• Like 1

If I may humbly state my opinion, I agree with Geddy. I feel that Tai Shan (and High Water, for that matter) absolutely bring the album down to a level of sentimentalism that negates the build-up of the first 8 songs. I really enjoy Hold Your Fire, but those two songs could have ben left off and I would find the album to be perfectly balanced.

I really enjoy it when the members of RUSH speak openly about their feelings for songs and albums. That is one reason why I love going back through the Contents Under Pressure book. I find it so interesting that albums which to me are milestones in the catalogue (or ones that I just think are highlights, say, Counterparts), are seen as not living up to their potential. Since it´s all about the music, it´s nice to have candid reactions from the creators of the music regarding their creations.

• Like 1

not one of my faves, tend to skip it. I do however like High Water quite a bit

Don't get too bent out of shape about it, the whole band considers Caress of Steel an error too

And they're right http://www.albumcovers.biz/cover/2012/thumb/rush-caress-of-steel.jpg :oops:

As Trenken pointed out, I don't think the band has ever thought that COS was an error. They were very proud of the album at the time. They were certainly disappointed by the lack of commercial success and pressures from Mercury. Their first headlining tour didn't go as well as hoped as they were primarily an opening band before this. If anyone can find a quoted source that the band didn't like the COS album, let me know.

I don't think I have heard the song Tai Shan in 15 years or so.

The China Sang To Me Song is a load of old bollocks. Geddy is right.

Exactly.

My opinion of this song has always been, "Neil, I'm glad that China sang to you. No seriously, I'm really happy for you. I just don't need to hear about it." :no:

EXACTLY. TAI SHAN, HIGHWATER, AND SECOND NATURE ALMOST RUIN THAT ALBUM.

Considering that Geddy is the artist, I'm inclined to agree with him. If he thinks that Tai Shan was an "error" then that's his opinion. Truthfully, though, Tai Shan is a beautiful song and I actually like it. Dog Years is the real error.

I personally think most of Test for Echo was an error. But Dog Years definitely ranks high.

Edited by Peartlee

Geddy said something similar about Countdown and I really love that song

Yeah, I think he more implied how it had a lot of build up to no climax and could have been mixed better. I think it would be great to see them try it again live with a tiny re-write to capture what they wanted the song to be.

Countdown is perfect as is. Amazing song. Loved it live back on the Signals tour. :yes:

If you give an opinion on post 1982 Rush, it seems guaranteed to be the opposite of mine. Geddy is 100% right on Countdown...the song has potential but doesn't go anywhere.

I heard Countdown as part of a Rush laser show at a planetarium and it was SO f***ing awesome! As is. :)

• Like 1

I disagree with Geddy here. I like song. Along the same lines I also don't share their overall fondness for the average RTB album either...and also probably rank CP higher than they do, not to mention P/G, etc. Edited by Presto-digitation