Working out

In response to the o.p. Listen to inspiring music. Change your routine around - mix it up. It helps catch the muscles too, encouraging stimulation and growth to areas that get used or 'bored' of the same routine. What are your routines, what in particular do you exercise and how? It can get tedious, mix it up, keep going.

Latest gripe is the strength difference in left & right upper body, esp. shoulders & pecs. I'm left-handed, and once I start hitting higher weights the strength difference is noticeable. Muscles on the left are still raring to go for a couple more reps, but the damn right side is punking out.

Yeah, this sort of unevenness has long been a source of irritation for me as well. Regardless of my efforts to balance things out and let my left (weaker) side dictate how far I go with my workouts (in the hopes that it will "catch up"), my right remains a step ahead and always feels like it can do more when lefty needs to call it a day.

By the way, did you ever get the protein-shake issue worked out?

You guys are to bad@ss for me. I am thinking of starting a new thread "Kind Of Working Out".... :LOL:

If the only people who posted here were the true badasses, it'd be down to TSS and Mara, and they'd miss the rest of us, you guys for your cool progress posts and me for my "wit."

If you're working hard at the exercises you're doing and they're helping you stay healthy, I think you should consider it working out (and feel just fine posting here).

I don't do anything particularly impressive. I can toss around a few dumbbells, and I'm pretty strong for a thin dude, but I'm hardly hardcore. Still, I enjoy what I do and I'm happy with the results. So I have no problem posting with the true colossi of the community. :)

Lyndsey, those exercises (look these up to make sure)...

1 - One-arm lateral raise

2 - Lunge

3 - Floor chest press

4 - Overhead press

5 - Don't know, hard to tell from the diagram...

5 looks like front raises.

Dumbbell's at your side and bring them up in front of you parallel to the floor. Its a shoulder exercise.

Thanks guys!!

I was having a tough job of trying to find out by myself!!

:cheers:

#2 actually looks like it's supposed to be walking lunges. I for one would rather be flicked repeatedly in the eyeball than do walking lunges. I seriously hate them - I NEED to do them, because they work a lot of the stabilizers and neural pathways that stationary lunges just don't, but I can never commit to including them in a rotation. I'll be good for a couple of weeks and then trade them out for some other move just as my body is finally figuring out how to balance itself.

In other news - I CAN DO UNASSISTED PULL-UPS NOW! Not wide-grip, not yet, though I'm down to being able to do 6-7 of those with just 10-20 lbs of help. But I can do 8-10 reps now of underhanded, shoulder-width chin ups for 3 sets and 6 reps of overhand grip, with my full bodyweight. I couldn't do this in my 20's or 30's!

WTG!!

I do my walking lunges with barbell over my head. Ever do weighted split squats? Do some of those and then you won't hate going back to walking lunges so much. :laughing guy:

Keep up the good work!!

UPDATE:

So I have had these jeans that are a size 14 (UK measurements) that I have been using as my "goal pants". Every now and then I would try them and it was a case of "Nope, not quite. Still a bit of overspill."

Then, yesterday, I was putting on my looser jeans and noticed I could do my belt up another notch! Woohoo! Right?

Then, just now I had just had a shower when it dawned on me: "I wonder if..."

Out come the goal pants... and they fit great!! Just a tiny bit of pouch at the front but I can get away with that!!

I literally jumped for joy!! :yay:

• Like 3

UPDATE:

So I have had these jeans that are a size 14 (UK measurements) that I have been using as my "goal pants". Every now and then I would try them and it was a case of "Nope, not quite. Still a bit of overspill."

Then, yesterday, I was putting on my looser jeans and noticed I could do my belt up another notch! Woohoo! Right?

Out come the goal pants... and they fit great!! Just a tiny bit of pouch at the front but I can get away with that!!

I love hearing shit like this!!

Keep it up!

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Great to hear. I am so happy for you.... :cheers: :rose:
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

This is wonderful to read! Proud and happy for you. :) :cheers:

• Like 1

UPDATE: So I have had these jeans that are a size 14 (UK measurements) that I have been using as my "goal pants". Every now and then I would try them and it was a case of "Nope, not quite. Still a bit of overspill." Then, yesterday, I was putting on my looser jeans and noticed I could do my belt up another notch! Woohoo! Right? Then, just now I had just had a shower when it dawned on me: "I wonder if..." Out come the goal pants... and they fit great!! Just a tiny bit of pouch at the front but I can get away with that!! I literally jumped for joy!! :yay:
I love hearing shit like this!! Keep it up!
UPDATE: So I have had these jeans that are a size 14 (UK measurements) that I have been using as my "goal pants". Every now and then I would try them and it was a case of "Nope, not quite. Still a bit of overspill." Then, yesterday, I was putting on my looser jeans and noticed I could do my belt up another notch! Woohoo! Right? Then, just now I had just had a shower when it dawned on me: "I wonder if..." Out come the goal pants... and they fit great!! Just a tiny bit of pouch at the front but I can get away with that!! I literally jumped for joy!! :yay:
Great to hear. I am so happy for you.... :cheers: :rose:
This is wonderful to read! Proud and happy for you. :) :cheers:
Thanks you guys!! :cheers: :rose: :hug2: :hi: Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 1

Still doing 3 to 4 miles a day either at the gym or outdoors. Some light lifting. Maintaining and chipping away slowly at whats left. The weight matters not at this point. I think I have actually added muscle if thats even possible at my age. Its all about how I look and feel at this point......
  • Like 1

Still doing 3 to 4 miles a day either at the gym or outdoors. Some light lifting. Maintaining and chipping away slowly at whats left. The weight matters not at this point. I think I have actually added muscle if thats even possible at my age. Its all about how I look and feel at this point......

Yeah I don't remember the last time I got on a scale.

Yeah I don't remember the last time I got on a scale.

I just can't anymore. I lost the initial 40 and now I am just building on that. The mirror and my clothes tell me everything i need to know. I am still ugly and invisible to women and my body is still improving.... :D

All righty, anyone got tips on how to manage ouchy elbows? Do not tell me to go to the doctor - :LOL: - he'll tell me to quit lifting until the inflammation is gone. Basically it seems to be a touch of what's called "pitcher's elbow", or medial epicondylitis. I'm icing them and that is helping. It's not so bad I can't lift, but the first few sets of curls do have me gritting my teeth a bit!

All righty, anyone got tips on how to manage ouchy elbows? Do not tell me to go to the doctor - :LOL: - he'll tell me to quit lifting until the inflammation is gone. Basically it seems to be a touch of what's called "pitcher's elbow", or medial epicondylitis. I'm icing them and that is helping. It's not so bad I can't lift, but the first few sets of curls do have me gritting my teeth a bit!

Sorry. I can't help you there. Incidentally I have a doctor who also likes to reply to my complaints about pain when I do something with "well don't do that."

I doubt I lift like you do but I have pain everywhere seemingly. I was a pitcher and have what you describe along with bursitis in my right shoulder thats been there since high school. I have had a couple injections in the shoulder recently to no avail. I also of course have the bone fusion in my right hand that hurts like hell and I am going Monday back to my orthopedist to see what can be done. In the meantime and probably forever I take Hydrocodone, Vimovo, Ativan (anxiety) and Neurontin daily. I am a mess :LOL: but I feel much better and don't feel high at all. I never took a damn thing for 53 years and now I am a mess but am still working out daily and feel good enough and look better and feel better than I have in years. I think I am actually putting on muscle at my age.

I haven't a clue what you look like but there are beautiful semi "older" ladies at my gym that look great and go at it really hard that I sometimes think to myself "I bet thats how Mara looks and goes at it"..... :cheers: and best of luck with the your malady :)

Going back to the gym regularly again after my 3 week Texas trip. Feeling a little better and pushing it harder. Walking and running alternately 3 to 4 miles a day. I have been running more and more each day and pushing harder and feeling like I can. My confidence in my body in slowly returning. I think I have finally found the medication balance I have been searching for a while now... :)
  • Like 2

I'm onto the biggest of my dumbells now... they're 5lb!

What do you do with them?

I am guessing she exercises with them.... :huh:

I just wanted to make a post about rest.

I was a little under the weather earlier in the week and combined with the holidays, it all kind of bled together into a week off from the gym until today. I hadn't been to the gym since last Saturday and I felt a little sluggish going in today. I needed about a 30 minute warm up but after that I found my groove and I really took off. I felt explosive and the weight felt like it was lifting itself. Best workout I have had in 6 weeks. I did more weight and more reps than I was doing last week. I wanted to post this to remind everyone that rest/deload weeks are important to allow your body to recover and progress. If you are on a program for 6-8 weeks and start to feel drained or are hitting a plateau, listen to your body and take a week off. You may not believe it but you will come back stronger and more explosive!

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 2

I was a little under the weather earlier in the week and combined with the holidays, it all kind of bled together into a week off from the gym until today. I hadn't been to the gym since last Saturday and I felt a little sluggish going in today. I needed about a 30 minute warm up but after that I found my groove and I really took off. I felt explosive and the weight felt like it was lifting itself. Best workout I have had in 6 weeks. I did more weight and more reps than I was doing last week. I wanted to post this to remind everyone that rest/deload weeks are important to allow your body to recover and progress. If you are on a program for 6-8 weeks and start to feel drained or are hitting a plateau, listen to your body and take a week off. You may not believe it but you will come back stronger and more explosive!

Great post. There are two reasons I always find it really difficult to take some time off: 1) The irrational fear that significant progress will be negated, and 2) I just plain love to work out. But a bit of rest can be so beneficial in the long run, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Great post. There are two reasons I always find it really difficult to take some time off: 1) The irrational fear that significant progress will be negated, and 2) I just plain love to work out. But a bit of rest can be so beneficial in the long run, for all the reasons you mentioned.

This thought is tough to erase from my mind. I have gained 10 pounds recently :huh: I am praying its muscle but I really don't know. I am eating the same, working just as hard but I feel bigger. Some of the medications I am taking warn of potential weight gain but I just don't see how its possible. Its confusing for me. I was down to 180 and feeling slim but am now more around 190 (won't weigh myself ever again) and just feel thicker but can't feel or see much fat anywhere. I don't know... :wacko:

Yep, rest helps progression. I get the addiction element though. I love working out and I feel off if I skip it. If not for being a little bit sick earlier in the week I probably wouldn't have taken the week off but I think I am going to start scheduling my rest weeks ahead of time so I don't skip them.