Working out

Ugh, you've heard of overtraining? It's true.

I've been hitting it pretty hard for the past couple of months, just challenging myself from week to week. New movements - a lot of Olympic-style compound lifts, heavier weight. I have scaled back the time I spend on cardio a bit but still go hard.

Major results but I realized this morning I need to dial back the intensity a bit. I am sore all over, have been tired but having trouble sleeping, and most telling (for me anyway) is lack of appetite. I truly can't zero in on anything I WANT to eat, and for me to be off my feed when I am otherwise healthy is rare indeed.

All of these are classic symptoms of overtraining. So I took today off, and may take more time to give my body a chance to catch up with everything I've been putting it through. I hate it, feel like such a slacker, but it's really the only smart thing to do. Continuing to push it isn't going to have any sort of positive effect. I have a tendency to do things to excess. . . .

Point being - adequate rest and recovery time is part of proper training. It's easy to forget that.

• Like 1

I ran a "Renegade Race" yesterday. They're 5k races through obstacles (rope ladders, sand hills, puddles, etc.). It was a ton of fun, and I beat the closest guy on my team of old men by about 10 minutes. It made getting up weekdays at 5 am to work out almost worth it.
  • Like 1

Ugh, you've heard of overtraining? It's true.

I've been hitting it pretty hard for the past couple of months, just challenging myself from week to week. New movements - a lot of Olympic-style compound lifts, heavier weight. I have scaled back the time I spend on cardio a bit but still go hard.

Major results but I realized this morning I need to dial back the intensity a bit. I am sore all over, have been tired but having trouble sleeping, and most telling (for me anyway) is lack of appetite. I truly can't zero in on anything I WANT to eat, and for me to be off my feed when I am otherwise healthy is rare indeed.

All of these are classic symptoms of overtraining. So I took today off, and may take more time to give my body a chance to catch up with everything I've been putting it through. I hate it, feel like such a slacker, but it's really the only smart thing to do. Continuing to push it isn't going to have any sort of positive effect. I have a tendency to do things to excess. . . .

Point being - adequate rest and recovery time is part of proper training. It's easy to forget that.

Try and deload once every 12 weeks or so. By deload I mean, don't exercise for 7 days. If you must go to the gym to keep your routine then just walk on the treadmill.

I just read a few pages and feel like I need a cigarette. I don't think "working out" is right for me.

Bare knuckle fighting might suit you...?

Nah, I'm not built for it. I do love playing hockey. It's actually an incredible work out and helps me keep my girlish figure.

:hockeygoon:

• Like 1

Spent the last three days digging out from a flood. Started with the neighbors, and am close to finishing work on my place.

A little cross training.

Edited by goose

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/DitchSweaty8314_zps802a7ab8.jpeg

The mud-humping workout. Wanna give it try? Only $10/hr. Bring your own shovel! Dropped four pounds in 3 1/2 hours.

If that includes a plane ticket I'm all in ;)

• Like 1

Hey, AG, you still running?

I'm inclined to say no because I do it so rarely. But I did run about 2 miles last week and I was nearly killing myself ;).

What happened? Youo were doing so well...

Ow. My legs are singing after yesterday's workout, and it will be worse tomorrow.

I have to try to be creative with leg workouts because of the artificial hip - certain stuff I am not supposed to do. So sometimes I have to go a bit lighter on the weights with more repetitions and do supersets, giant sets, etc. Basically I have to find ways to overstress every fiber in my muscles without overstressing the artificial joint.

Yesterday I started with leg presses - 6 sets of 15 reps with 15 seconds rest between. After the 3rd set people were probably looking at me and thinking, "why's that chick crying? She's only got 70 lbs on the machine." The first set was easy and I was thinking I needed to add weight. The second was harder, and after the third I was having to do the short rest intervals every 3-4 reps. After I finished I staggered off the machine and over to the squat rack for 3 triple dropsets of front squats. (Triple dropset = start weight of 12 reps to failure - strip weight off bar and go to failure again - repeat, rest). Then 3 triple dropsets of hamstring curls. I am not a grunter but I know I make some really goofy faces.

I'm using the bars in the handicap stall to lower myself onto the toilet. Leaning against the wall and doing butt-slides to get down a flight of stairs. Thank god my dogs are calm because walking them would be tough if they were pullers.

Thank god legs only get worked 1 day per week, but I do LOVE the challenge!

I'm inclined to say no because I do it so rarely. But I did run about 2 miles last week and I was nearly killing myself ;).

Whenever things go well I let my guard down, and things start to go not-well. Too much partying and unhealthy food.

Edit: Darn it, I'm gonna kick myself in the rear and get out running tomorrow! No excuses. :codger:

Edited by The Analog Grownup

I downloaded an app called Wheel Of Pain Pushups from ArnoCorps. ArnoCorps is a band from San Francisco who plays a mixture of punk and rock, dressed like they're from the movie Commando and the singer sings like Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

I'm following a training schedule that eventually will make me able to do at least 102 consecutive pushups. It's really motivating to have someone sounding like Arnold when you're working out :D

Whenever things go well I let my guard down, and things start to go not-well. Too much partying and unhealthy food.

Edit: Darn it, I'm gonna kick myself in the rear and get out running tomorrow! No excuses. :codger:

if you stay in shape you can party like a rock star guilt free
  • Like 1

I downloaded an app called Wheel Of Pain Pushups from ArnoCorps. ArnoCorps is a band from San Francisco who plays a mixture of punk and rock, dressed like they're from the movie Commando and the singer sings like Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

I'm following a training schedule that eventually will make me able to do at least 102 consecutive pushups. It's really motivating to have someone sounding like Arnold when you're working out :D

Have you tried weightlifting? The cool thing about it is that you can change up the routines to keep from getting bored with it. It also burns fat like crazy (not that you appear to need that).

• Like 1

if you stay in shape you can party like a rock star guilt free

The only downside is that I can really feel it negatively in my working out if I've been drinking.

Have you tried weightlifting? The cool thing about it is that you can change up the routines to keep from getting bored with it. It also burns fat like crazy (not that you appear to need that).

I'm beginning to get soft around the waste line ;)

I started lifting weights when my girlfriend left me for some time ago. I used the anger to motivate me and I did quite well. Even though it's been a while since I lifted weights, I can still see the core of my work. If I started weightlifting again I would see results right away :)

I eventually stopped because I was in so bad conditional shape that just 10 reps would make me dizzy. So I stopped to concentrate on running but then I became complacent and threw it all away :(

There! I did it! Just ran 5 km in 28 minutes.

Turned out there was national bicycle race in my city, because suddenly there were people on both sides of the street. It was quite funny and surreal and I dug a little deeper. No chance I will go cold in front of all these people :P

• Like 3

There! I did it! Just ran 5 km in 28 minutes.

Turned out there was national bicycle race in my city, because suddenly there were people on both sides of the street. It was quite funny and surreal and I dug a little deeper. No chance I will go cold in front of all these people :P

It'll come back to you in less time than it took you to get there. Muscle memory is an amazing thing. :)

• Like 1