Working out

I hate doing sit-ups and push-ups but my abdomen would probably thank me if I did. I never realized how much you use your abdomen when running, so doing some sit-ups would probably reduce the cramps.

Consider planks if you want to concentrate on your abs, especially if you hate doing sit-ups. Sit-ups and crunches definitely work the muscles well—I used to do plenty of crunches myself—but they aren't good for your spine in the long run anyway.

Regular planks will probably become easy before too long, but there are plenty of variations you can do.

Good thing you mentioned that. I used to do them when I went to the gym, but I had forgot all about it.

Finally had had enough with the dumbasses who never, ever, re-rack their weights.

The gym I attend is 24 hours and on Sundays they're not staffed. So when I went to use the leg press today and there was *360 lbs' worth of 45 lb plates on it, I just shoved them all off onto the floor. This of course made a hell of a racket and one came perilously close to hitting the mirror (my take on that - if the owners can't be bothered to enforce the rule, which they don't even when they're there, then they deserve to pay for a repair).

There was a guy on the seated cable row next to the leg press - one of the muscleheads who acts like he owns the place - and he stopped what he was doing and just stared at me like, "what, there's a problem?" I don't know if he was going to say anything but I didn't give him a chance to; I paused the iPod and snapped, "Hey, I didn't put the goddam things on there to start with! It is NOT my job to put them away neatly, I have plans later, and I'm not wasting time on that." Turned my iPod back on and proceeded as before. To be fair I've never seen this particular musclehead not re-rack stuff.

I'll do it again if I feel the need. I am DONE picking up after others - I'm married so do some of that at home and if I wanted to do more of it I'd have had kids.

*In the past 360 lbs would have been fine. I used to be able to do that pre-hip replacement. Now I'm technically not supposed to do any leg presses or full squats at all, but I am tired of my doctor telling me what I cannot do workout-wise. So I compromise by keeping the weights light; today was about 70 for 6 sets of 15 reps each.

• Like 1

I set a personal record yesterday. I ran 3.2 miles in 30 minutes. Had to take some 30 second breaks to catch my breath due to my exercise-induced asthma. But when I learn to pace myself I will be able to run 3.2 miles without any breaks.

:dweez:

Great job! I just got back into running after letting myself go physically during winter & spring. For the first time today I was able to finish with some fartleks, short bursts of full speed and slow jog intermittently. Great way to build strength and aerobic stamina.
  • Like 1

I set a personal record yesterday. I ran 3.2 miles in 30 minutes. Had to take some 30 second breaks to catch my breath due to my exercise-induced asthma. But when I learn to pace myself I will be able to run 3.2 miles without any breaks.

You go dude!! When i ran my first and only 5k I did it in 28.30 or so. I couldn't do it now due to all my health issues and I haven't been able to run much at all. Sucks really. All that work to be able to do it gone. I will have to get back after the running part soon. I have been walking 6 miles a day however even when I feel bad to stay in shape. If there is one thing that I am is stubborn...

A friend of mine told me that when he runs he mentally visualizes how he is running towards a new and improved self. May sound cheesy as hell but in reality it works pretty well. I think it's time to plan my running; monday, wednesday and friday for running and the weekend for hiking. I was tempted to run today but my legs are too sore. Love that feeling though ;)

My goal is to get in shape and do a 6.3 mile run within an hour. Don't care about running a marathon because I'll just damage my knees for no good. When that goal is met then I'll be in really good shape for when I start lifting those weights.

I like that you have a goal, and I think I need one too. Here are some options....

http://www.ascentruns.com/Course.html (Insane...maybe for a younger me)

https://reno5000.webconnex.com/R3_2014 (more realistic. I registered!)

Thanks for the inspiration, mate!

• Like 1

You go dude!! When i ran my first and only 5k I did it in 28.30 or so. I couldn't do it now due to all my health issues and I haven't been able to run much at all. Sucks really. All that work to be able to do it gone. I will have to get back after the running part soon. I have been walking 6 miles a day however even when I feel bad to stay in shape. If there is one thing that I am is stubborn...

A friend of mine told me that when he runs he mentally visualizes how he is running towards a new and improved self. May sound cheesy as hell but in reality it works pretty well. I think it's time to plan my running; monday, wednesday and friday for running and the weekend for hiking. I was tempted to run today but my legs are too sore. Love that feeling though ;)

My goal is to get in shape and do a 6.3 mile run within an hour. Don't care about running a marathon because I'll just damage my knees for no good. When that goal is met then I'll be in really good shape for when I start lifting those weights.

I like that you have a goal, and I think I need one too. Here are some options....

http://www.ascentrun...(Insane...maybe for a younger me)

https://reno5000.web.../R3_2014��(more realistic. I registered!)

Your welcome :)

I really need to inspire myself at the moment. I haven't run in a while now, and I have had plenty of food and alcohol so I'm beginning to feel a little soft. I'm seeing my family the next week, so I'll pack along my running shoes.

I really need to inspire myself at the moment. I haven't run in a while now, and I have had plenty of food and alcohol so I'm beginning to feel a little soft. I'm seeing my family the next week, so I'll pack along my running shoes.

Despite a few setbacks health wise I am still going at it every day.... :sigh:
  • Like 2

Food and alcohol... Me too. So, out with the carbs, in with the protein and veggies.

And a newly revised sig to keep me focused. :sundog:

• Like 1

Food and alcohol... Me too. So, out with the carbs, in with the protein and veggies.

Nice addition to the sig. :ebert: Wish there had been cell phones when I had my aces.....

My problem is I like alcohol way too much. I have too much time and too little to do (or just plain lazy) so it's difficult for me to stop again. I have periods where it's not unusual that I drink a bottle or two wine a week and up to a six pack of beers everyday, and then suddenly stop it all for a period of time only to start over again. I haven't found the golden path yet.

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

My problem is I like alcohol way too much. I have too much time and too little to do (or just plain lazy) so it's difficult for me to stop again. I have periods where it's not unusual that I drink a bottle or two wine a week and up to a six pack of beers everyday, and then suddenly stop it all for a period of time only to start over again. I haven't found the golden path yet.

Moderation in all things, including temperance. :D

Alcohol is a big part of social gatherings for us, so abstinence isn't a goal. But when we go north for vacation, there's way too much of it for me.

• Like 2

So...four days since getting home from Washington. Four days of vegetables and protein. Four days without beer. Four days of exercise.

Dropped seven pounds and am under 180 for the first time in nine months. Makes running a whole lot easier. :dweez:

• Like 4

So I finally got back in the weight room (I'd burned out on it and sort of turned into a cardio machine) and dang, I am getting some big time results even at (gulp) age 46. It's interesting - I can lift more now than I could in my 30's! Considering maybe getting back into bodybuilding BUT for 2 reasons:

1 - I'd have to have the epigastric hernia (shows as a small lump just below my sternum and at this point is mostly just a cosmetic issue) repaired and I don't really want to undergo surgery unless it's causing me discomfort. It bothers me once in a great while, but I can just pop it back into place and I feel better immediately. Still, I do have 100% coverage with no deductible. So there's that. . . .

2 - It was bodybuilding that caused me to burn out on weight lifting originally. It gets tiresome having to constantly monitor diet and the like.

So no, I very likely won't do that. Still, it's cool to see muscles popping up on the 46 year old body!

• Like 4

So I finally got back in the weight room (I'd burned out on it and sort of turned into a cardio machine) and dang, I am getting some big time results even at (gulp) age 46. It's interesting - I can lift more now than I could in my 30's!... it's cool to see muscles popping up on the 46 year old body!

Good for you. It's great hearing stories like this—and encouraging. I didn't start to work out regularly until my thirties, and I feel stronger and better now than I ever did in my twenties. And I figure I may still have plenty more good years left of being a constantly evolving powerhouse. :)

• Like 1

So I finally got back in the weight room (I'd burned out on it and sort of turned into a cardio machine) and dang, I am getting some big time results even at (gulp) age 46. It's interesting - I can lift more now than I could in my 30's! Considering maybe getting back into bodybuilding BUT for 2 reasons:

1 - I'd have to have the epigastric hernia (shows as a small lump just below my sternum and at this point is mostly just a cosmetic issue) repaired and I don't really want to undergo surgery unless it's causing me discomfort. It bothers me once in a great while, but I can just pop it back into place and I feel better immediately. Still, I do have 100% coverage with no deductible. So there's that. . . .

2 - It was bodybuilding that caused me to burn out on weight lifting originally. It gets tiresome having to constantly monitor diet and the like.

So no, I very likely won't do that. Still, it's cool to see muscles popping up on the 46 year old body!

Its good to cycle your routine anyway. I usually only do heavy lifting splits for 8-12 weeks before switching to something more cardio-centric. I am always doing some type of strength training though. I just go with lighter weights in circuits when I am not trying to really pack on muscle.

I started getting up at 5:30 every morning the beginning of January and riding a stationery bike for about 25 minutes every week day. I was getting no results as far as weight loss at all and I was really frustrated. The first week of April I really changed the way I eat. I stopped eating processed foods, sugars (about 98% cut out) and carbs (about 85% cut out). I still eat the sugars in fruit or carbs from veggies and potatoes. I left all the complex "natural" versions of those in my diet. I didn't cut any of beer or other alcoholic drinks at all. . I don't feel deprived at all. The carbs are the hardest part. I was a chocoholic, I ate some everyday, and I thought sugar would be the hardest to give up but I crave carbs way more. I eat meats (all kinds), cheeses, veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs, salads (no more dressing, but I add pepperocini, beets, mushrooms etc to doctor them up).

I have a "cheat" day once a week where I eat almost like I used to as far as carbs go but still not the sugars.

It's been about 15 weeks with this new "diet".

I have lost 18 lbs so far and about 3" off my waist.

The first 12 pounds was fairly quick, 8 weeks and then it seemed to stall for a few weeks. I added a some carbs (I was down to almost none) back in and then dropped 6lbs the last ten weeks. I've only weighed myself at Dr visits, I don't really care how much I weigh. It's more about how I look and feel. Large shirts fit me like my extra-larges used to. I can button 35" pants, still a bit snug but I was wearing 38" and they were a bit snug. I am hoping to get down to 34" waist, that would be great. I'm 47, 5'9" and 194lbs now. I can see much more definition in my face and upper body. I knew my face was a little fuller then it used to be but I didn't realize how much or that my upper body had a layer of fat too. Ten years ago I was at 185lbs with a 34" waist and nobody I believed I weighed that much. That is kind of my target, again the waist size is way more important than the weight.

I can't believe how much easier some things are. I am up to 40 minutes on the bike now and really the time limit there is I don't really want to get up earlier than 5:25 every morning. That's early enough since I am never in bed before 10:30 due to things with the kids. I volunteer for the local marching band and go on parade and "water" the members while they are marching. I also run back and forth between the band and the truck following us to refill the watering bottles. My legs used to be pretty dead after one of the parades. The first parade at the beginning of June I was pretty tired and it's short, about 1.5 miles. I did one last weekend about the same length and didn't get tired at all.

It's awesome going in two notches on my belt and it still being loose, some of my belts I can go three notches in.

I think I am going to get some hand weights to use while I am riding to build some upper body strength. I had spinal fusion on two discs a few years ago in my neck area and some exercises I can't do. No pushups, can't ride my mountain bike and I can't jog so I'm finding other ways to exercise. I can lift to a certain extent but really heavy weights strain my neck to the point of pain.

If you've read all of this you're probably bored silly by now but thank you for keeping with it. My kids started giving me a hard time about talking about it and they were teasing me and rolling their eyes when I talked about it. They watch Big Bang Theory and the boys started calling me Howard, (because he talked about the astronaut thing constantly) so I stopped talking about when they are around. Quite honestly Sunny is probably tired of me talking about it as well but she is way too sweet and kind to ever say anything like that to me.

I am just astounded how I feel and how well it's all working and wanted to share it somewhere.

I started getting up at 5:30 every morning the beginning of January and riding a stationery bike for about 25 minutes every week day. I was getting no results as far as weight loss at all and I was really frustrated. The first week of April I really changed the way I eat. I stopped eating processed foods, sugars (about 98% cut out) and carbs (about 85% cut out). I still eat the sugars in fruit or carbs from veggies and potatoes. I left all the complex "natural" versions of those in my diet. I didn't cut any of beer or other alcoholic drinks at all. . I don't feel deprived at all. The carbs are the hardest part. I was a chocoholic, I ate some everyday, and I thought sugar would be the hardest to give up but I crave carbs way more. I eat meats (all kinds), cheeses, veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs, salads (no more dressing, but I add pepperocini, beets, mushrooms etc to doctor them up).

I have a "cheat" day once a week where I eat almost like I used to as far as carbs go but still not the sugars.

The first 12 pounds was fairly quick, 8 weeks and then it seemed to stall for a few weeks. I added a some carbs (I was down to almost none) back in and then dropped 6lbs the last ten weeks. I've only weighed myself at Dr visits, I don't really care how much I weigh. It's more about how I look and feel. Large shirts fit me like my extra-larges used to. I can button 35" pants, still a bit snug but I was wearing 38" and they were a bit snug. I am hoping to get down to 34" waist, that would be great. I'm 47, 5'9" and 194lbs now. I can see much more definition in my face and upper body. I knew my face was a little fuller then it used to be but I didn't realize how much or that my upper body had a layer of fat too. Ten years ago I was at 185lbs with a 34" waist and nobody I believed I weighed that much. That is kind of my target, again the waist size is way more important than the weight.

I can't believe how much easier some things are. I am up to 40 minutes on the bike now and really the time limit there is I don't really want to get up earlier than 5:25 every morning. That's early enough since I am never in bed before 10:30 due to things with the kids. I volunteer for the local marching band and go on parade and "water" the members while they are marching. I also run back and forth between the band and the truck following us to refill the watering bottles. My legs used to be pretty dead after one of the parades. The first parade at the beginning of June I was pretty tired and it's short, about 1.5 miles. I did one last weekend about the same length and didn't get tired at all.

It's awesome going in two notches on my belt and it still being loose, some of my belts I can go three notches in.

I think I am going to get some hand weights to use while I am riding to build some upper body strength. I had spinal fusion on two discs a few years ago in my neck area and some exercises I can't do. No pushups, can't ride my mountain bike and I can't jog so I'm finding other ways to exercise. I can lift to a certain extent but really heavy weights strain my neck to the point of pain.

If you've read all of this you're probably bored silly by now but thank you for keeping with it. My kids started giving me a hard time about talking about it and they were teasing me and rolling their eyes when I talked about it. They watch Big Bang Theory and the boys started calling me Howard, (because he talked about the astronaut thing constantly) so I stopped talking about when they are around. Quite honestly Sunny is probably tired of me talking about it as well but she is way too sweet and kind to ever say anything like that to me.

I am just astounded how I feel and how well it's all working and wanted to share it somewhere.

:cheers: It took me a year of hard work to go from a 36" waist to a 32". I have lost 45 pounds (most of it the first 6 months) and have been stalled for months at 180 but my body continues to change. I have heard muscle weighs more than fat so I don't concern myself with what I weigh anymore. So I just keep at it......

:cheers: It took me a year of hard work to go from a 36" waist to a 32". I have lost 45 pounds (most of it the first 6 months) and have been stalled for months at 180 but my body continues to change. I have heard muscle weighs more than fat so I don't concern myself with what I weigh anymore. So I just keep at it......

Thanks. That's exactly it, I'm not concerned about how much I weigh it's how I feel and that I can see the bulges that I don't want are gone. I went to a BMI website for fun and it said I was obese at 5'9" and 212 lbs. I just read an article about yesterday that addressed the fat vs muscle thing. It's really more about density then weight. A pound is a pound is a pound, like the old joke: what weighs more, a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers? Here's a link:

http://bamboocorefitness.com/one-pound-of-fat-versus-one-pound-of-muscle-clearing-up-the-misconception/

It's a pretty good read.

Keep up the good work. I figure it took ten years to get my body to this point, if it takes a year to get it back, that's not too bad.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's exactly it, I'm not concerned about how much I weigh it's how I feel and that I can see the bulges that I don't want are gone. I went to a BMI website for fun and it said I was obese at 5'9" and 212 lbs. I just read an article about yesterday that addressed the fat vs muscle thing. It's really more about density then weight. A pound is a pound is a pound, like the old joke: what weighs more, a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers? Here's a link:

http://bamboocorefit...-misconception/

It's a pretty good read.

Keep up the good work. I figure it took ten years to get my body to this point, if it takes a year to get it back, that's not too bad.

The whole 10 year thing is very true. If it took years and years to get one way it makes perfect sense that it would take a great amount of time and patience to undo it. The journey down feels so much better than the journey up I must say..... Edited by Narpski

Great to read these inspiring stories! Mine for this week? I was in Park City Utag on a conference and, at 7,000 feet, had the capacity to run 1.5 miles up a ski hill. Getting stronger!

I'm at 152lb today, that's the lightest for a while. I'm not really doing anything different, I'm eating ice cream, cakes, chocolate chip cookies, you name it!

If you shaved your head you'd probably weigh about 120 lbs. :D

I'm at 152lb today, that's the lightest for a while. I'm not really doing anything different, I'm eating ice cream, cakes, chocolate chip cookies, you name it!

If you shaved your head you'd probably weigh about 120 lbs. :D

151lb today, I wonder if a couple of hairs fell out somewhere? :D-13: