Working out

Ok. Lets talk about fitness. I have been truly fit probably twice in my adult life. When I was was young I was always thin and could eat whatever I wanted and stay that way. As I got older this changed without me really even noticing at first. When I was in my early 30's and looking at photo's of myself, it really surprised me. Damn I look fat! I don't look like the image I have of myself. I weighed 150 when I graduated high school. I weighed 200 when in my early 30's. I proceeded to diet and work out like a demon. Lifting weights and swimming. I got down to 160 in a matter of 4 months. This was in the early 90's and AIDS was all over the place and my friends and co-workers thought I was sick or something. They would always say "you aren't fat" or "you weren't fat". They would say "you look good to me". I knew better. Anyway, as happens to most over many years I added the weight back on. I am now 53 and in February I weighed about 210 and people would tell me the same thing. Deep down I knew better. I hand hand surgery in March and in the 2 months following the surgery I got up to about 220. When the cast was removed from my hand at the beginning of May I said to myself "enough of this". I started to walk every day and couldn't go very far at first but I stuck with it. Changed my diet and kept walking. About 2 months ago I joined a gym and have been walking and working out there. Anyway, I am now down to 185 and I feel great! This is only the beginning and I will never go back. The feeling of looking in that mirror and putting on my clothes has never been more enjoyable. My energy level is greater and my mood has changed for the better as well. Getting and being fit is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Nothing in this life worth having is ever easy. If you are or were in the same position I was, just remember it can be done and you will be amazed at how you feel when you do it. :codger:
  • Like 1

I don't know about you Narpet, but when I exercise and eat right, I have so much energy. I feel good about myself and then that keeps me motivated to exercise every day. Since my previous post, I've changed some things around at the gym. I'm going four days a week now and am hitting a few different machines. Now, I'm lifting heavier weights and doing more reps on certain machines. Not sure how much gym time I'll get over the winter since I do. not. drive. in. snow.

I don't and can't lift heavy weights due to my limitations from hand surgery(see the Post Pictures Of You for more details). I mostly want to be lean and feel light on my feet anyway. Getting big and muscular is a pipe dream at my age any way and my frame is really not conducive to that anyway. I just do intense walking and light lifting. I spend a lot of time on the abdominal machines because I want no belly fat. I used to drink a lot of beer and it has taken quite a while to rid myself of the results of that. I have told myself that I will be the most fit 53 year old on the planet. If I don't think that way I will never reach my goals. Edited by Narpet

I will be starting a three day split today and I will follow it for the next 3 months. Now is the time to start a heavy weight lifting regimen. Hopefully I can pack on 10 or 15 lbs over the winter be more toned next spring when I go back into my cut. Gotta slow down on the cardio too which I will miss. I actually like doing cardio.

What happened with your hand Narpet?

Some real bad arthritis. I put up with it for many years and then it got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore. Gave up bowling and golf about 4 years ago fists%20crying.gif . I was good at both and that really hurt. I had carpel tunnel and bone fusion surgery at the same time. That was in March and I am still recovering. I think golf and bowling will be out for the rest of my life. The limited motion I have now would prohibit me from doing them well anyway, and I am not sure my pride could handle that. If you saw the picture in "post pictures of you", you can see the 9 screws clearly. Now I have taken up fitness to fill the void in my athletic life and that is going well and filling the void nicely. Thanks for your curiosity and interest........ :codger:

Some real bad arthritis. I put up with it for many years and then it got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore. Gave up bowling and golf about 4 years ago fists%20crying.gif . I was good at both and that really hurt. I had carpel tunnel and bone fusion surgery at the same time. That was in March and I am still recovering. I think golf and bowling will be out for the rest of my life. The limited motion I have now would prohibit me from doing them well anyway, and I am not sure my pride could handle that. If you saw the picture in "post pictures of you", you can see the 9 screws clearly. Now I have taken up fitness to fill the void in my athletic life and that is going well and filling the void nicely. Thanks for your curiosity and interest........ :codger:

You'll have to give me a link for that pic, that's a big thread to wade through.

Is the arthritis like a genetic thing or was it caused by an earlier injury?

You'll have to give me a link for that pic, that's a big thread to wade through.

It's really genetic I believe. I never injured it or anything like that. I think I just had or have a predisposition to have arthritis. My Dad has had major problems with it all his life. His is psoriatic and not rheumatoid. Mine is not rheumatoid either, thank the Lord. I have met older folks with that type of arthritis and it is not pretty. I am computer inept and do not how to link anybody to anything. Apologies about that. The x ray is pretty interesting, maybe pretty cool if you can check it out. Thanks again for your interest. Most people these days don't give a rip about anyone but themselves. I have found that to be less the case on this Forum. At least it seems that way.............

It's really genetic I believe. I never injured it or anything like that. I think I just had or have a predisposition to have arthritis. My Dad has had major problems with it all his life. His is psoriatic and not rheumatoid. Mine is not rheumatoid either, thank the Lord. I have met older folks with that type of arthritis and it is not pretty. I am computer inept and do not how to link anybody to anything. Apologies about that. The x ray is pretty interesting, maybe pretty cool if you can check it out. Thanks again for your interest. Most people these days don't give a rip about anyone but themselves. I have found that to be less the case on this Forum. At least it seems that way.............

Oh well just find the page, then copy the web address from your browser bar (where you type it in) and paste that in your reply. Do that by right clicking and choosing copy and paste from the menu, first (copy) with your cursor in the browser bar and then (paste) in your post reply.

what i do is music, i usually get lost in it.....be it on the readmill, stairmaster, etc....you just gotta have the right playlist for you....
  • Like 1

Oh well just find the page, then copy the web address from your browser bar (where you type it in) and paste that in your reply. Do that by right clicking and choosing copy and paste from the menu, first (copy) with your cursor in the browser bar and then (paste) in your post reply.

The sun shines out of some people's arse's. My sunshine is from somewhere altogether different.............

:scared:

http://s10.postimg.org/g27gh5nop/IMAG0059_BURST002_COVER.jpg

The sun shines out of some people's arse's. My sunshine is from somewhere altogether different.............

That's a great pic. That area of the hand is an area I never notice on my own hands, which is obviously a good thing. No pain no notice.

That's a great pic. That area of the hand is an area I never notice on my own hands, which is obviously a good thing. No pain no notice.

I'm screwed...... Pun intended :D

Did the surgery work?

Did the surgery work?

The jury is still out on that subject. I am still out and being paid through my disability insurance I had/have. My wrist barely bends but I can do stuff, but it hurts like hell sometimes. The doctor wants to do one more procedure pretty soon. He will remove the round plate that is in the middle of the screws and shave a bone spur down on my wrist..... :scared:

Did the surgery work?

The jury is still out on that subject. I am still out and being paid through my disability insurance I had/have. My wrist barely bends but I can do stuff, but it hurts like hell sometimes. The doctor wants to do one more procedure pretty soon. He will remove the round plate that is in the middle of the screws and shave a bone spur down on my wrist..... :scared:

Sounds like a construction project! :o

Did the surgery work?

Sounds like a construction project! :o

As long it's not a US Federal Government project I think I will be ok........... Kathlene Sebelius HHS Secretary :banghead: :fuckinputer:

I don't intend to bore anyone with my work out dribble but I think I will attempt to use this thread as sort of a journal. I have never kept a journal of my thoughts on any subject anywhere on any part of my life. This fitness thing has become a very central part of my life and I feel better if I get my thoughts out somewhere. Today's workout I had my heart set on running more than a mile and it didn't happen. :(

I ran a mile without stopping yesterday and I wanted to push it a little. Anyway, I did run 2 miles total but divided in 3 sections. I also did my intense walking for 30 minutes. I have some new soreness in my legs which is encouraging and a good thing. I like that feeling of some soreness every day. Makes me feel like I am doing something at least. Weighed 184 this morning which is my lowest weight since at least 1995. Very exciting! Truth is, how I feel means more to me than the scale, but the scale keeps giving me encouraging news also. I am on my way to being the most fit 53 year old on the planet. :codger: :dweez:

Edited by Narpet

Normal.standard workout today. Rocked some AC/DC Powerage today during my intense treadmill walk. I think I will hold off on the running for a bit longer. When I hit the 180 mark I will try again. :codger:

I don't intend to bore anyone with my work out dribble but I think I will attempt to use this thread as sort of a journal. I have never kept a journal of my thoughts on any subject anywhere on any part of my life. This fitness thing has become a very central part of my life and I feel better if I get my thoughts out somewhere. Today's workout I had my heart set on running more than a mile and it didn't happen. :(

I ran a mile without stopping yesterday and I wanted to push it a little. Anyway, I did run 2 miles total but divided in 3 sections. I also did my intense walking for 30 minutes. I have some new soreness in my legs which is encouraging and a good thing. I like that feeling of some soreness every day. Makes me feel like I am doing something at least. Weighed 184 this morning which is my lowest weight since at least 1995. Very exciting! Truth is, how I feel means more to me than the scale, but the scale keeps giving me encouraging news also. I am on my way to being the most fit 53 year old on the planet.

I think it's great that you want to use this thread as a journal. Good job on the weight loss!! And you're right, it is more important to rely on how you feel as opposed to some numbers on a scale. And I completely understand liking the sensation of being sore after a workout. I love it!! I love to have sore muscles and I hate when I don't feel any soreness. I especially like feeling sore in my arms and abs. So... keep posting about your progress!! I'm enjoying reading about how your workouts are going.

I'm excited to be getting back into this.... soon...

Regarding my eating habits: I have been eating mainly healthy for years, rarely eat out, almost everything cooked at home by us (we don't buy pre packaged/prepared things)

In 1999, I blew out my ACL and had knee reconstruction later that same year.

About a year ago, my knee started bothering me. I went to see the doc and he saw a small tear in my meniscus and said with rest it could heal on its own. I rested for a while and slowly started putting on weight. I didn't change what I was eating, but realized it was the exercise allowing me to eat what I was. I started working out again, low impact stuff, but my knee never really felt good anymore.

A few weeks ago, at football practice, I was teaching a kid how to properly shed press coverage after he couldn't get off the line, My O coordinator didn't notice me standing there and ran another play. My back was turned and a kid rolled up into my leg as he was tackled. I went down and since that day, my knee has been killing me. I saw the doc again and he indicated the tear is much worse.. advised surgery. I put it off until next week so I could finish out the football season.

Hopefully after my knee is fixed, I can get back in shape again. Dropping a few pounds will help take that stress off my knee.

^^^ Do you wear any kind of bandage brace on your knee right now before surgery?

I have one of these badboys:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PheX7lr5L.jpg

I don't wear it often, only when there's a high risk. Standing around coaching is not usually high risk.... hiking, playing softball... I wear it for stuff like that