Working out

...isn't working out.

I mean I try, really, but it's so boring. And on top of that I don't know a whole lot of good exercises that will build muscle mass quickly.

So here's my question: how do you do it? How do you get into exercise and make it exciting and not just something to drag yourself through? I really do not know much so any tips about what workouts to do/foods to eat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I usually think about stuff as I exercise. For quicker exercises like 200 push-ups you don't need to think you just count. Losing count is annoying too but happens sometimes, it happens when you think...

:hail:

I usually think about stuff as I exercise. For quicker exercises like 200 push-ups you don't need to think you just count. Losing count is annoying too but happens sometimes, it happens when you think...

:hail:

In a row?

Yeah. I do 2 sets but I usually have about an hour or more break in the middle, but if I need to 20 minutes would be the quickest turnaround. It's no big deal when I first started doing them regularly around 2000 I could only do 20. Then that got too easy, so I did 30, and so on. So you just build up. 200 is about my limit though it seems.

Find something you like. I can't stand being on a treadmill. All I can think about is the other stuff I could be doing. I don't have time to devote to team sports. I had a friend that suggested cycling. Love it. It's "real" so you have to focus on what your are doing unlike a treadmill and you can't quit early since you have to ride back to your house/car. I mess around with some dumbbells while watching tv at night but I think cardio is a better investment than weight training.
  • Like 2

I've been doing weight training for so long now that it's as normal/common to me as having a glass of water. The only days I don't excercise are when work or other commitments COMPLETELY prevents me from doing it. Besides weight lifting, I ride my bicycle a lot (not counting my commutes to work every day), use a cross country skiing machine (which is waaaaaay tougher than it sounds...good!) at my gym, play table tennis or tennis whenever possible, and go for long walks basically ANYWHERE. I try to vary things up [with weight training as my excercise essential (3-4 times a week)]. I also try to set some kind of realistic goal...whether bicycling 75 minutes instead of 60 or bench pressing an extra 15 pounds by a specific target date.

However, the REAL key is to STAY active even when excercise seems tedious. Push yourself. Force yourself. It's all worth it. And in a relatively short time you should feel a difference even if you haven't yet attained those Captain America-looking abs.

• Like 2

The last 18 months I've pretty much checked out of the gym. Work got busy, son got more active. Recently I got back into running and cycling, though. I work out at home with light weights and a heavy ball. I gave up alcohol. So I'm getting back in shape. Gonna run a half marathon in September. But...back on topic...the gym? Can't find the interest. My wife, on the other hand, has gone paleo and is becoming a freakin' chiseled hardbody. Edited by goose

200 is about my limit though it seems.

:pussy:

:nya nya: :nya nya: :nya nya: :hi:

...325, 326, 327...please don't interrupt me...328, 329...
  • Like 1

I can't even do one push-up. I'm so mighty that every time I try, my hands push directly into the ground thereby decimating the tile, wood, stone, or whatever the flooring is made of. Having 2 hand holes in the ground is embarassing and bothersome
  • Like 4

I have a few ideas that may work for you:

Keep it social. It's completely key for me. After giving up running (hopefully just temp, but we'll see), I start cycling and found it to be just OK as a replacement. I didn't get really why at first but it's because when I ran, I did so with running groups. I got to know people and they became my friends, both with running and in normal life. I'm now finding a bunch of people to do cycling with too and it's made a huge difference in terms of enjoying the sport. I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state and rode around one of our lakes with some people - a 45 mile ride was so enjoyable with people to do it with. Now I hardly do my long rides alone if I can help it - talking with someone you're exercising with makes the time go by and gains you friendship. When you find something active you like to do, it's pretty easy to find groups around your area of people with the same interest. Often a simple Google search can find you groups, or ask around your coworkers, family, friends, etc.

Make goals. I started doing weight training recently, something I used to think was so freaking boring because...well, on the surface, it is! Now I love it. How come? I look forward to the day I add extra weight on and consider it one little victory when I do so ;) Especially on the weight machines. I've almost doubled my weight limits since getting serious about it this spring and it's awesome to accomplish something like that, to look back and say "wow, I started at X weight and now I'm up to XYZ". Another goal that kept me going when I ran was signing up for races - knowing I spent money on a race kept me in the training spirit (as did the running group). I signed up for races I never thought I could run, like 10ks and half marathons, then proved myself wrong - which felt so awesome. I am signed up for a charity century bike ride this September. It's 100 miles in one day, so it's not like I can sit on my ass all summer and then go out and bike 100 miles, with some major hills in there. I've been consistently riding all season to make sure I am prepared for the day.

Find something fun: I find most cardio machines torturous. I mean, you're in one place, and going no where, watching a TV or listening to music if you're lucky. When you're outside - hiking, walking, running, cycling, it is so refreshing to see things! You get a completely different picture than from your car and it's pretty neat. You don't even have to be a nature person to appreciate fresh air. Encourage your family or friends to come along. I don't know if you get snow in the winter, but snowshoeing is fun and way cheaper than skiing.

I have also heard you need to give an exercise program a good amount of time before it becomes a habit. When it does, that is usually the time you start to recognize differences in your life outside working out. Maybe you can climb stairs easier, or carry more grocery bags from your car with ease. With my lifting this spring, I noticed it was "working" when I purchased a 12 pack of bottled beer at the store - picked it up like it was a roll or paper towels! It's the little things!

• Like 1

...isn't working out.

I mean I try, really, but it's so boring. And on top of that I don't know a whole lot of good exercises that will build muscle mass quickly.

So here's my question: how do you do it? How do you get into exercise and make it exciting and not just something to drag yourself through? I really do not know much so any tips about what workouts to do/foods to eat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In my experience, results don't come fast. Don't think that they will or you will get discouraged quickly. Also really examine your diet. Its more important than the exercises you do if you want to get real results.

I echo the sentiment that taking a class is a big help. I do a couple cardio kickboxing classes a week and a core strength and stretching class once a week and they are both fun and challenging. I only work out solo a couple times a week. The guys who run my gym post different workout routines every week. Sometimes its weights, sometimes its cardio or crossfit and often it is a mix of all of the above. Doing different workouts every week keeps things interesting. Don't be afraid to switch it up.

Just do it and keep doing it until it becomes something you can't imagine not doing. Get to the point where it is a habit. Working out becomes addicting and then you don't have a problem sticking with it.

I have a few ideas that may work for you:

Keep it social. It's completely key for me. After giving up running (hopefully just temp, but we'll see), I start cycling and found it to be just OK as a replacement. I didn't get really why at first but it's because when I ran, I did so with running groups. I got to know people and they became my friends, both with running and in normal life. I'm now finding a bunch of people to do cycling with too and it's made a huge difference in terms of enjoying the sport. I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state and rode around one of our lakes with some people - a 45 mile ride was so enjoyable with people to do it with. Now I hardly do my long rides alone if I can help it - talking with someone you're exercising with makes the time go by and gains you friendship. When you find something active you like to do, it's pretty easy to find groups around your area of people with the same interest. Often a simple Google search can find you groups, or ask around your coworkers, family, friends, etc.

Make goals. I started doing weight training recently, something I used to think was so freaking boring because...well, on the surface, it is! Now I love it. How come? I look forward to the day I add extra weight on and consider it one little victory when I do so ;) Especially on the weight machines. I've almost doubled my weight limits since getting serious about it this spring and it's awesome to accomplish something like that, to look back and say "wow, I started at X weight and now I'm up to XYZ". Another goal that kept me going when I ran was signing up for races - knowing I spent money on a race kept me in the training spirit (as did the running group). I signed up for races I never thought I could run, like 10ks and half marathons, then proved myself wrong - which felt so awesome. I am signed up for a charity century bike ride this September. It's 100 miles in one day, so it's not like I can sit on my ass all summer and then go out and bike 100 miles, with some major hills in there. I've been consistently riding all season to make sure I am prepared for the day.

Find something fun: I find most cardio machines torturous. I mean, you're in one place, and going no where, watching a TV or listening to music if you're lucky. When you're outside - hiking, walking, running, cycling, it is so refreshing to see things! You get a completely different picture than from your car and it's pretty neat. You don't even have to be a nature person to appreciate fresh air. Encourage your family or friends to come along. I don't know if you get snow in the winter, but snowshoeing is fun and way cheaper than skiing.

I have also heard you need to give an exercise program a good amount of time before it becomes a habit. When it does, that is usually the time you start to recognize differences in your life outside working out. Maybe you can climb stairs easier, or carry more grocery bags from your car with ease. With my lifting this spring, I noticed it was "working" when I purchased a 12 pack of bottled beer at the store - picked it up like it was a roll or paper towels! It's the little things!

This shows how it is important to find what works for you since I am almost the opposite. I have no desire for any social element in my exercise and don't really set any "goals." I have a general idea of if I am improving or not and just wing it based n how I feel.

• Like 1

http://i.imgur.com/KpP7OFM.gif

:D

It can be tough, especially when you take a break. I recently just got back into running semi-regularly and doing some upper-body weights, as I just got off of a shoulder injury (had to get surgery). Starting back up was difficult, but once you get into the groove ( :musicnote: baby you've got to prove your love to meee :musicnote:) it can be very rewarding. Mentally, too. :)

However, the REAL key is to STAY active even when excercise seems tedious. Push yourself. Force yourself. It's all worth it. And in a relatively short time you should feel a difference even if you haven't yet attained those Captain America-looking abs.

Spot on. I go to the gym at 5 am every weekday morning. There are some mornings when I wake right up and can't get to the gym fast enough. There are other mornings (yesterday, in fact) where it's a grind. I think you have to view it as part of your life, and not a destination or goal your striving towards. Some days I lift, some days I do the elliptical, some days I do the stepper, some days I run. Mixing up what you do breaks up some of the monotony. Although many people think it's crazy, I think you're best served getting up early and getting it over with before you go to work, school, whatever. Someone once told me it's actually better for your body too. I've never looked into whether that's true, but I know that coming out of the gym when it's still before 6:40 a.m. feel great. Every time.

• Like 1

Spot on. I go to the gym at 5 am every weekday morning. There are some mornings when I wake right up and can't get to the gym fast enough. There are other mornings (yesterday, in fact) where it's a grind. I think you have to view it as part of your life, and not a destination or goal your striving towards. Some days I lift, some days I do the elliptical, some days I do the stepper, some days I run. Mixing up what you do breaks up some of the monotony. Although many people think it's crazy, I think you're best served getting up early and getting it over with before you go to work, school, whatever. Someone once told me it's actually better for your body too. I've never looked into whether that's true, but I know that coming out of the gym when it's still before 6:40 a.m. feel great. Every time.

I'm the same way...wake up around 5, working out by 5:20. By the end of the day I feel ready to do it again.
  • Like 1

Interesting, the talk about morning work-outs. I have never been a morning person. My routine was always to hit the gym at night (9:00 or 10:00), after all my work during the day was done, so I'd be tuckered right before bed. Makes sense, right? This morning, I went for a run before work, for the first time, really. Although I felt I didn't have as much energy as I would have had later in the day, I still managed to beat my previous time, and afterwards felt more refreshed and awake than any other morning where I wouldn't have exercised. I'd be interested to know if morning work-outs are more effective than at other times of the day.

Interesting, the talk about morning work-outs. I have never been a morning person. My routine was always to hit the gym at night (9:00 or 10:00), after all my work during the day was done, so I'd be tuckered right before bed. Makes sense, right? This morning, I went for a run before work, for the first time, really. Although I felt I didn't have as much energy as I would have had later in the day, I still managed to beat my previous time, and afterwards felt more refreshed and awake than any other morning where I wouldn't have exercised. I'd be interested to know if morning work-outs are more effective than at other times of the day.

My brother in law once did something called Body for Life, or Fit for Life, or something like that, and it advocated morning workouts. If my memory serves me correctly, it has something to do with what your body is burning for fuel first thing in the morning that makes it more effective. I could be totally wrong about that though.

The only reason I don't work out in the early morning (I used to) is that my current gym doesn't open until 8 a.m. when I 'm already on my way to work. I generally feel fitter in the morning and am (obviously) not worn out by the bs of a workday. Also, I'd guess that the body needs at least a few hours to wind down after a strenuous workout. Anytime I work out past 9pm I have a harder time relaxing for bed....probably since the muscles were all jacked and the blood was pumping during the workout. Note: These are just my guesses

...isn't working out.

Bumping this thread to see if things have changed for you.

I've read through the thread and there was a lot of good advice. Have you since found a program or routine that is working for you? Do you find you're still bored? You said you wanted to build muscle mass quickly which can be difficult, especially since that entails working out consistently. A friend of mine is into weightlifting (she competes) and some of her advice is: You need to hit the free weights and lift heavy for short bursts (be sure to reach "failure" as you're lifting - example: you lift the weight once, twice, three times, fourth starts to get shaky, fifth you're telling yourself this is starting to suck, sixth time you simply can't lift the weight = "failure"), you'll benefit from going to a gym and using a personal trainer to help keep you on track and set goals, watch your diet ("clean eating" is a pretty good choice, IMO), and one thing that really helps your muscles since you want to increase mass, is to drink a protein shake or similar roughly 20 minutes at the end of your workout. Again, most of this is what I can recall my friend saying. Although I'm not into bulking up but I do like to stay fit and keep in shape.

Also, it can be hard to get motivated in the beginning but if you just keep at it and find what works for you, then eventually you'll see it going from boring to a routine you enjoy. Especially when you start seeing results. Once you see those first few results, you'll quickly be motivated to keep exercising.

I think it's important to try different workouts until you find what works for you but then change it up every now and then when you do feel yourself getting bored of a routine. Some people like working out with others, I would rather pull my teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers than have a little workout buddy. Some people get into kickboxing, others rowing. For me, it's running and working on the weight machines at the gym. As much as I love running, I refuse to get on a treadmill. Now that, to me, is wicked boring. I don't care how snazzy the machine may be with all the fancy bells and whistles, I am not getting on one! I do try to eat very healthy but I will not give up my white wine. Sorry. One vice I want to keep.

One other advice about building muscle mass is that you want to work your muscles evenly. Meaning, if you work on your back, then work your abs next. I hit the gym three times a week to work on the machines. In order, my routine is: back, abs, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, (that's for the upper body - then I concentrate on lower body) quads, hamstrings, tushy, calf and finally inner and outer thighs. I do three sets of ten reps on each machine, move to the next machine, do the same number of sets/reps and go through the entire routine twice. I have a feeling that might sound like a lot but since my goal is to just stay toned, I do a lot of sets/reps but with a decent amount of weight. I never lift to reach "failure." Other than that, I like to run six days a week. It's nice to be healthy.

Edited by Janie
  • Like 1