Ever Heard Alex Sing?

John V

I mean sing without Geddy? Or hear him seperately like they do in a studio?

I have been thinking about this for a long time. Its almost as if Alex's vocals are man made?

sometimes on stage Alex's singing voice sounds remarkably like a pre-recorded Geddy voice.. :sarcastic:
  • Like 1

There's a song on the Victor album where he does a touch of singing at the end of the song (the title track?).

Alex only does the talking parts. The short singing part at the end is Edwin from I Mother Earth.

There's a song on the Victor album where he does a touch of singing at the end of the song (the title track?).

Alex only does the talking parts. The short singing part at the end is Edwin from I Mother Earth.

No, that's definitely Alex. Not only does the voice sound like Alex doing songsprecht or whatever (speaking/singing mashup), Edwin isn't listed in the credits for that song in the liners (each song has individual credits). And Edwin's voice is much...stronger. :)

ETA: I tried to link directly to the right spot in the song, but it didn't translate once I posted. The relevant part starts at 4:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM543C7gTmA&t=4m5s

Edited by zappafrank

His voice isn't as terrible as I would have thought.

If you want to hear a terrible voice by a kickass guitar player, try Mike Rutherford. I love his solo album, but can't get past the voice.

If you want to hear a terrible voice by a kickass guitar player, try Mike Rutherford. I love his solo album, but can't get past the voice.

I thought that honor forever went to Steve Howe!

• Like 2

sometimes on stage Alex's singing voice sounds remarkably like a pre-recorded Geddy voice.. :sarcastic:

Before we knew better, my one friend and I when we were in high school were always like "Yeah, Alex can sing really high, too! Just check out the back-ups he does in the video for Lock and Key!"

But also amazing is the fact that he also can do backing vox that sound like Neil run through a processor. It's almost like his voice is so versatile that it can be... subdivided.

• Like 1

It's not bad on the video clip posted here. On the audio clip of those rare finds that one guy collects...ouch!

No, that's definitely Alex. Not only does the voice sound like Alex doing songsprecht or whatever (speaking/singing mashup), Edwin isn't listed in the credits for that song in the liners (each song has individual credits). And Edwin's voice is much...stronger. :)

ETA: I tried to link directly to the right spot in the song, but it didn't translate once I posted. The relevant part starts at 4:05.

You're talking about the song 'Victor'? I just listened to it twice and I'm not sure what your "touch of singing" refers to. The part where he vocalizes "I am the resurrection and the life" ? Edited by JohnnyBlaze

You're talking about the song 'Victor'? I just listened to it twice and I'm not sure what your "touch of singing" refers to. The part where he vocalizes "I am the resurrection and the life" ?

F me, I had the wrong song in the post.

The YT link is right, but it's the song At the End (4:05 in). Somehow my brain got crossed even though I used the right song link. I'd have to check the liners to see if Edwin is listed for At the End, but for the moment I'm still thinking it's Alex.

You're talking about the song 'Victor'? I just listened to it twice and I'm not sure what your "touch of singing" refers to. The part where he vocalizes "I am the resurrection and the life" ?

The YT link is right, but it's the song At the End (4:05 in). Somehow my brain got crossed even though I used the right song link. I'd have to check the liners to see if Edwin is listed for At the End, but for the moment I'm still thinking it's Alex.

It certainly sounds like it could be Alex. With the magic that is the recording studio, who knows if they cleaned up his voice or not.

It certainly sounds like it could be Alex. With the magic that is the recording studio, who knows if they cleaned up his voice or not.

It's Alex. It's not too bad and some of his live singing is ok when he stops being goofy and really tries. I can relate because I can't sing either, but sometimes when no one is looking I can half way carry a tune.

During the concert, too, he knows he's triggering a sample and is not there to sing...so he's just doing his job in that respect. I wouldn't expect him to be in tune...it's hard to say if he even comes through the ear pieces to know what he sounds like, too.

I see now. Yeah, that's Lifeson...though I wouldn't call it singing. Just his voice placed alongside Edwin singing. I like that song

I think he's had a few lessons in the recent past. In 2010 and this year I had close-up seats on Alex's side and his mic was actually on, so I could really pick out his voice when he chimed in with a bit of backup. He sounded surprisingly good. Not just passable, not just on key, but pretty good.