Don't Tell My Husband, But...

gangsterfurious

I really can't stand our apartment.

It drives me crazy.

Especially during that "time of the month."

Maybe I should just move this to the PMS forum.

Anyway...

When I moved in with my then-boyfriend it was to his hideous bachelor pad in Santa Barbara. The building we lived in was an ugly stucco brown with termites and mold issues, his apartment was covered in office-grade carpet and linoleum, the kitchen had dark brown cabinets and the ugliest yellow counter tops you could imagine and two of our neighbors were drug dealers. Finally, a year and a half before our marriage, we find a new apartment. Or, I found it and talked him into applying for it along with me. The apartment itself is beautiful. I can see about 3 inches worth of ocean from the big front living room window, we have hardwood floors, a newer kitchen, a pretty little hallway.

But my husband's stuff. Ugh.

I just want to cry when I go home and have to look at some of it.

He was 49 when we got married and had already had art pieces that he had purchased from his friends. And me, being into designing a beautiful living space ever since I was young, well, I'm having major issues.

Before being with me he had purchased a few pieces from some of his friends, one hangs above our fireplace (I hate it), another one hangs above the desk in our living room alcove (I hate it). I also hate the desk, but it belonged to his father so I keep it there. Then, sometime last year we were given this piece from one of his co-workers. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the piece, it's a scene showing two covered wagons going through a orange/golden desert. But it's about 6 feet long and in a frame from the 1970's. So I brought home some other pieces from the 1970's thinking that's what we'd do in the room. I hate the bedroom now.

I'm so close to begging my husband to let us sell everything and just start over with more pieces that we both like and agree on.

So help me ladies, am I being mental, should I learn how to compromise more, or should I tell my husband to get rid of his ugly stuff?

Edited by gangsterfurious

Yes. I've asked him to PLEASE get rid of the piece over the fireplace. The outdated Bev Doolittle print, the neon/canvas mess that his friend created that is about 5 x 3 feet.

I'd really like to re-do the bedroom as well, right now it is all in black and then we have those 1970's art pieces. I mean, I tried, really I did, to make it all work and it's not working for me at all. I thought the home was the woman's domain but nearly everywhere I look, with the exception of the kitchen and the bathroom, it's mostly his crap. The apartment is still so masculine, ugh.

I guess what upsets me so very much is that I look at my neighbors, I look at my sister-in-law. They have BEAUTIFUL living spaces because their husband's just sat back and let them did the work. It's not that their homes are more feminine, not at all. It's just that they had a little more control over how things looked and what goes where and I don't have that control. :( It really makes me sad because I can see what our home could be like and I'm not allowed to do anything about it.

I guess I should just be happy that... being poor former welfare trash, that I even have a place to live with to begin with.

Hahaha! How could I forget your sense of humor too?

Obviously, I've managed to fool all of you.

• Like 3

Sheldon, this might be a good time to pull something out from your "private collection" and post it.

No. Not that picture, something else. Please. :LOL:

Let me see what I have. Am I trying to make GF laugh?

• Like 2

Well then, maybe I should post "that" picture.

Doooooooo it.

• Like 1

There goes the thread.

We now have to rate it for mature viewers only.

"Mature" Then nobody on this forum will be able to look at it.

• Like 3

Uhm don't take offense but I like you in that other picture much much better.
  • Like 1