Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - DARWIN! Remastered

H. P. L.

http://www.radiotrip.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DARWIN_cover-CD.jpg

Well, even Banco is cashing it in. This will be a double CD - triple LP with the original album remixed and remastered, a complete live version of the whole concept played in 2012 and a new song featuring Italian über-intellectual-singer-songwriter Franco Battiato.

No, I'm not getting it. But I know at least one forum member who might find this interesting.

And a live version recorded in 2012? Why? DEFINITELY cashing in - the only problem being - it ain't gonna sell that many copies.

Well, Rush played the whole of MP, didn't they? Why (anniversaries garbage aside)? It's the cool thing to do in the prog world these days, so they're doing it too.

And anyway, NOTHING sells that many copies today.

And a live version recorded in 2012? Why? DEFINITELY cashing in - the only problem being - it ain't gonna sell that many copies.

Well, Rush played the whole of MP, didn't they? Why (anniversaries garbage aside)? It's the cool thing to do in the prog world these days, so they're doing it too.

True, but Rush performs MP in their entirety live and they're still a HUGE touring draw. How many people would go see Banco in 2012 to see them perform Darwin!? I guess maybe they could scare up a couple thousand people at a one-off prog festival gig.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be that interested in a 1972 live version of Darwin! I have a 1972 good quality live bootleg of a Banco show. It's ok. The studio albums sound a lot better - which is almost always the case anyway...

True, but Rush performs MP in their entirety live and they're still a HUGE touring draw. How many people would go see Banco in 2012 to see them perform Darwin!? I guess maybe they could scare up a couple thousand people at a one-off prog festival gig.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be that interested in a 1972 live version of Darwin! I have a 1972 good quality live bootleg of a Banco show. It's ok. The studio albums sound a lot better - which is almost always the case anyway...

Hey, Goobs! Italy is a small country! Given the dimension of the market and the audience, the comparision to Rush playing MP is perfectly balanced if you look at the numbers!

It's nostalgia marketing, sure. But today the prog world is living on nostalgia marketing, so this is what they do. This combo will be bought by old geezers with some money to spend or by young geeks with their parent's money to spend.

I wouldn't mind listening to a remastered version of Darwin. The production values on early prog albums in Italy is always poor. For you across the Atlantic it may sound "esotic", but it's just poor to my ears.

I think I'll pass. I just got this album in December and the sound doesn't bother me. I'd rather spend my money on other albums that I don't have (and there are lots of Italian prog albums that I still need to get). Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Come on dude, Moving Pictures is... well, Moving Pictures. Darwin! is cool and everything, but we are talking about Moving Pictures here.

Anyway, i prefer Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (the album).

Remastered - fine. REMIXED and remastered? God I f*cking hate when they remix classic albums. Is there ANYONE out there who likes that?

They already re-recorded the album in the 1990s. The original is far superior and they'd have to do fantastic things (a la Steven Wilson Crimson stuff) with it to make me purchase it.

It's a true Prog masterpiece both eccentric and esoteric.

Come on dude, Moving Pictures is... well, Moving Pictures. Darwin! is cool and everything, but we are talking about Moving Pictures here.

I wasn't in any way making comparisions between the albums' qualities or values. MP is to Rush what Darwin is to Banco. Simple equations. The thing prog bands are doing these days is: play complete glorious albums. So both Rush and Banco are doing this. Simple as that.

Remastered - fine. REMIXED and remastered? God I f*cking hate when they remix classic albums. Is there ANYONE out there who likes that?

They already re-recorded the album in the 1990s. The original is far superior and they'd have to do fantastic things (a la Steven Wilson Crimson stuff) with it to make me purchase it.

I remember when the re-recorded that and the first album. I was tempted to get them but ultimately didn't bother. Who re-records albums 20 years later? It's a novel, if odd concept.

Honestly, I'd buy a remaster if I had some spare cash and was in the mood, but not a remix - that's just f*cking with something that shouldn't be f*cked with.

And I too prefer their first album to Darwin!, though Darwin! is still a GREAT album... but their third album, Io Sono Nato Libero is their best. That album is a masterpiece. :yes:

The first song on Io Sono Nato Libero is EASILY one of the best progressive rock songs of all time. :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxQ7CFpZuk

Edited by rushgoober