Jump to content


Yesterday was one of my worst days ever. :( :(

feeling very low right now

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mika

Mika

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1393 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:BC, Canada

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm still so stunned about events yesterday that I'm trembling. Not that anyone died or there was a horrific accident or anything like that, but my world has been, if not flipped upside-down, then shaken up. I don't want to be a big spreader of negative news or anything, but I wanted to share because I feel like I need to let it out, because even my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand these things.

I showed up to work yesterday, really rather sweaty as I'd been literally running late and jogged in the hot sunshine. There were lots of men in suits, which meant something was up, and alarm bells immediately started going off in my mind. As I was trying to get ready (and de-sweat myself), one of my co-workers came up and asked if I yet knew what was going on. No.... He said, well, I'd better talk to the men, and walked away, afraid to say more.

I got myself ready - not a good day to try something new with wavy 'beach' hair - and went to find these suited guys. They informed me that our store, as of this day, was changing from franchise to corporate, and that our general manager had been replaced with a GM that turns out to be younger than me. Now, this is all a bit shocking, as I (and the rest of the staff) really like what is now our old GM. He's been probably the best guy I've ever worked with, and has never been in a position where he would be let go, so the fact that he has been due to corporate politics is rather alarming. Last night there was such an unhappy air of uncertainty and many staff wanting to leave as a result of this. And along with having someone new, on a personal level, this means things will change for me, as I've been doing things in a certain capacity as an agreement with the old GM - I'm sure I'll no longer be able to work in the same way as I have, which is working fewer longer days (which always seemed to end up being lots of long days, but still...), and being kind of a bit of everything there. So I'll have to see how the future unfolds in this way.

But what I'm really upset about - because, after all, this is just change, and we all know that the more that things change, the more they stay the same - is something else that has cropped up.

A few months ago, some staff were having issues with one of the girls, who happened to be the out-spoken daughter of the GM. They were afraid to approach her about these issues, and decided to group together and confront the GM - her dad - about it. I'd suggested to them before that we could more anonymously bring up the issues at a staff meeting, but I wasn't listened to. Well, the confrontation backfired, with the girl getting enormously offended when she heard, and of course the GM being defensive. (This, by the way, is the one thing that I won't miss about him - his mix of family and business) The group of people apparently decided to kind of put the blame of the whole thing on me, as I found out a bit later. I had to try to explain how things actually happened, but I don't think I was listened to. The girl was put-offish with me for a while, but then it kind of fizzled out.

I am not a confrontational person. I don't say bad things behind others' backs. I like for everyone to just get along, and if there are issues, to work them out reasonably. I've been hurt that someone could believe I would mastermind a 'lynch mob attack', as the girl called the confrontation. I was so frustrated by this, as I hadn't done anything wrong!

But it gets worse. I was talking to another guy at work, who was having a rough day, and we talked about things we didn't like. I mentioned that I was feeling uncomfortable working with the girl, as I was getting a cold shoulder from her and I'm not good at dealing with people that don't like me, and I found out shortly after that he turned around and told her that I didn't like working with her, and this exacerbated an already tense situation. She became openly rude to me, so that I had to find out what had happend (the guy telling her this), and try to explain what had actually happened.

A fault of mine is that sometimes I'm not very clear in what I'm saying, I think, so that others might take things the wrong way. I'm not very direct and out-spoken, and this might be perceived as wishy-washy or devious, apparently. The girl is definitely direct, as was the guy I had talked to.

So, this created an unnecessary, bad atmosphere for me. But, things seemed to smoothe over as time went by, so that the girl would laugh around with me again.

Now, yesterday. Since she is the daughter of the GM that has just been suddenly fired, I'm sure she's feeling a bit stressed and angry right now, and has quit, which is understandable, since why would she want to stick around at a job that fired her dad? Well, she posted a message on good old facebook, saying that she would miss "lots of" us, and then left this further comment, in regards to how she won't miss everyone:

"Yes particularly one ass kissing backstabbing ***t bitch that will one day get what she deserves ... we should hope that snakey bitch never does."

I tried to think if this comment could possibly be directed towards someone else, but no, it would have to be about me. Me! I happened to talk to the guy I mentioned earlier, as he called, drunk, while I was finishing up at work late last night, and I asked about that comment and he's quite sure it's directed at me.

This, above anything else that happened yesterday, made me feel like I want to throw up. It's so vicious and undeserved. I know that you all have only what I say and your own opinion of me based on my posts and everything, but I am not what her words say. Or am I? I feel like a failure of a person right now. I can't stand stuff like this, and I'm so frustrated because it's so undeserved. I feel so deflated right now, so stunned and depressed, and I don't know how to respond to this. I could just let us part ways and let the whole thing fade away, since it seems I'm not going to be in contact with her anymore if she's quit, but I feel like that's just taking the easy way out. I want to respond to this message on facebook, saying something about how it appears that this comment is about me and that it would have been nice to actually talk with her over things instead of resorting to something like this, but what's the point? The worst thing is, a few of our co-workers have 'liked' this comment, though I'm not sure if they're aware that it probably refers to me. But how can I work with people that would 'like' something as rude and brutal as this?

I happen to have three days off right now, so things at work will go ahead and start changing in my absense, so I'll have time to let things kind of blow over. But my feelings are very hurt, and that's not going to magically go away. Maybe I need to develop a tougher skin and not let something like this bother me so much, because in the grand scheme of things, it's not as big a deal as, say, having a family member develop cancer or losing my house in a fire, or something. Perspective. It's just that these personal slandering attacks hurt so much.

This is post #999 for me, and all along I'd planned something special for post #1000, so I'll have to get over myself a little, maybe, and do what I've planned later. I don't feel quite so festive about it right now, but maybe if I spend some time in my garden, and pop in my headphones and get carried away by the soothing voice of Geddy, I will feel a bit lighter.

Thank you to anyone who has read through this entire thing, as I know I tend to not keep things short, and I could really do with a kind word or pretty much anything right now.

Sponsored Post

#2 crimsonfrippy

crimsonfrippy

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 771 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Interests:Music, Football and Cats.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mika,

I am so sorry you are feeling bad.  Word of advice- do not respond on Facebook.  It will not help, it will only make you look bad.  Those who know your true character know you aren't like that.

I'm at work now so I can't really write alot but if you want to pm me anytime feel free to do so.

Also, always remember that your coworkers are not friends but coworkers.  It is fine to be friendly but do not mistake them for true friends.  Anything you say to anyone at work, assume they will pass it along even innocently to someone else at any time.

Take care and really I am sorry this happened,

frippy

#3 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69595 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostMika, on 18 June 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm still so stunned about events yesterday that I'm trembling. Not that anyone died or there was a horrific accident or anything like that, but my world has been, if not flipped upside-down, then shaken up. I don't want to be a big spreader of negative news or anything, but I wanted to share because I feel like I need to let it out, because even my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand these things.

I showed up to work yesterday, really rather sweaty as I'd been literally running late and jogged in the hot sunshine. There were lots of men in suits, which meant something was up, and alarm bells immediately started going off in my mind. As I was trying to get ready (and de-sweat myself), one of my co-workers came up and asked if I yet knew what was going on. No.... He said, well, I'd better talk to the men, and walked away, afraid to say more.

I got myself ready - not a good day to try something new with wavy 'beach' hair - and went to find these suited guys. They informed me that our store, as of this day, was changing from franchise to corporate, and that our general manager had been replaced with a GM that turns out to be younger than me. Now, this is all a bit shocking, as I (and the rest of the staff) really like what is now our old GM. He's been probably the best guy I've ever worked with, and has never been in a position where he would be let go, so the fact that he has been due to corporate politics is rather alarming. Last night there was such an unhappy air of uncertainty and many staff wanting to leave as a result of this. And along with having someone new, on a personal level, this means things will change for me, as I've been doing things in a certain capacity as an agreement with the old GM - I'm sure I'll no longer be able to work in the same way as I have, which is working fewer longer days (which always seemed to end up being lots of long days, but still...), and being kind of a bit of everything there. So I'll have to see how the future unfolds in this way.

But what I'm really upset about - because, after all, this is just change, and we all know that the more that things change, the more they stay the same - is something else that has cropped up.

A few months ago, some staff were having issues with one of the girls, who happened to be the out-spoken daughter of the GM. They were afraid to approach her about these issues, and decided to group together and confront the GM - her dad - about it. I'd suggested to them before that we could more anonymously bring up the issues at a staff meeting, but I wasn't listened to. Well, the confrontation backfired, with the girl getting enormously offended when she heard, and of course the GM being defensive. (This, by the way, is the one thing that I won't miss about him - his mix of family and business) The group of people apparently decided to kind of put the blame of the whole thing on me, as I found out a bit later. I had to try to explain how things actually happened, but I don't think I was listened to. The girl was put-offish with me for a while, but then it kind of fizzled out.

I am not a confrontational person. I don't say bad things behind others' backs. I like for everyone to just get along, and if there are issues, to work them out reasonably. I've been hurt that someone could believe I would mastermind a 'lynch mob attack', as the girl called the confrontation. I was so frustrated by this, as I hadn't done anything wrong!

But it gets worse. I was talking to another guy at work, who was having a rough day, and we talked about things we didn't like. I mentioned that I was feeling uncomfortable working with the girl, as I was getting a cold shoulder from her and I'm not good at dealing with people that don't like me, and I found out shortly after that he turned around and told her that I didn't like working with her, and this exacerbated an already tense situation. She became openly rude to me, so that I had to find out what had happend (the guy telling her this), and try to explain what had actually happened.

A fault of mine is that sometimes I'm not very clear in what I'm saying, I think, so that others might take things the wrong way. I'm not very direct and out-spoken, and this might be perceived as wishy-washy or devious, apparently. The girl is definitely direct, as was the guy I had talked to.

So, this created an unnecessary, bad atmosphere for me. But, things seemed to smoothe over as time went by, so that the girl would laugh around with me again.

Now, yesterday. Since she is the daughter of the GM that has just been suddenly fired, I'm sure she's feeling a bit stressed and angry right now, and has quit, which is understandable, since why would she want to stick around at a job that fired her dad? Well, she posted a message on good old facebook, saying that she would miss "lots of" us, and then left this further comment, in regards to how she won't miss everyone:

"Yes particularly one ass kissing backstabbing ***t bitch that will one day get what she deserves ... we should hope that snakey bitch never does."

I tried to think if this comment could possibly be directed towards someone else, but no, it would have to be about me. Me! I happened to talk to the guy I mentioned earlier, as he called, drunk, while I was finishing up at work late last night, and I asked about that comment and he's quite sure it's directed at me.

This, above anything else that happened yesterday, made me feel like I want to throw up. It's so vicious and undeserved. I know that you all have only what I say and your own opinion of me based on my posts and everything, but I am not what her words say. Or am I? I feel like a failure of a person right now. I can't stand stuff like this, and I'm so frustrated because it's so undeserved. I feel so deflated right now, so stunned and depressed, and I don't know how to respond to this. I could just let us part ways and let the whole thing fade away, since it seems I'm not going to be in contact with her anymore if she's quit, but I feel like that's just taking the easy way out. I want to respond to this message on facebook, saying something about how it appears that this comment is about me and that it would have been nice to actually talk with her over things instead of resorting to something like this, but what's the point? The worst thing is, a few of our co-workers have 'liked' this comment, though I'm not sure if they're aware that it probably refers to me. But how can I work with people that would 'like' something as rude and brutal as this?

I happen to have three days off right now, so things at work will go ahead and start changing in my absense, so I'll have time to let things kind of blow over. But my feelings are very hurt, and that's not going to magically go away. Maybe I need to develop a tougher skin and not let something like this bother me so much, because in the grand scheme of things, it's not as big a deal as, say, having a family member develop cancer or losing my house in a fire, or something. Perspective. It's just that these personal slandering attacks hurt so much.

This is post #999 for me, and all along I'd planned something special for post #1000, so I'll have to get over myself a little, maybe, and do what I've planned later. I don't feel quite so festive about it right now, but maybe if I spend some time in my garden, and pop in my headphones and get carried away by the soothing voice of Geddy, I will feel a bit lighter.

Thank you to anyone who has read through this entire thing, as I know I tend to not keep things short, and I could really do with a kind word or pretty much anything right now.

Sorry to hear.    Sounds like the GM's daughter got her character descriptions exactly backwards.   FWIW, IMO it doesn't sound like someone who would post something like that is worth responding to or doing much with and you're better with her out of your life.    But you have to do what feels right to you       And please don't feel like a failure...you seem to have been victimized by those you trusted.

:hug2:

#4 Amy Farrah Fowler

Amy Farrah Fowler

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 703 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Pennsylvania
  • Interests:Photography, RUSH, family, online chatting, Facebooking...

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Only YOU can give someone permission to hurt you.  Don't give her permission.  Period.

Be the bigger person and just move on from it.  Hugs, sweetie!

#5 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6123 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Life sometimes throws you a curveball. In adversity the best you can do is being true to yourself. Don't take it as you're wrong or need to change, when things take a turn for the worse. I know from bitter experience that trying to be someone you're not never gets you anywhere good. I can understand why you feel like you do.

Cheer up, everything's gonna be fine again :hug2: :)

(and listening to :rush: is never a bad idea ;) )

#6 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42074 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Mika, I have only read your post and not what others have written in reaction to what you wrote.  But I want to tell you that I know exactly how you feel. I, too, have been the object of injustice and hatred - two of our neighbors - and not just for a little while.  For years.  Until they wore themselves out with animosity, anger and bitterness.   And we did to deserve this?   Nothing.  They simply did not like us.

Can you look for another job?  I am asking because maybe it is just best to shake the dust from your feet from the place you are presently working at.

As for the boss's daughter, consider the source.  Take it from the voice of experience - the girl is not worth it.  She sounds like a spoiled, pampered brat to me.

You will, in a few days, calm down and be able to see all of this in a different light.

I am sorry that this has happened to you.  They ought to abolish Facebook from the planet.  But that's another rant for another day.

#7 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42074 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Geddy sez:

Was someone mean to my Mika???  Let me at 'em!!!
Posted Image

#8 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1363 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Far From Home...
  • Interests:Singing, Dancing, Magick, Bird Watching, Baseball, Rush, Geddy Lee, Steve Vai, Gardening, Nature, Moonlight, Wine, Faeries, Poetry, Animals, Reading, Drawing, Movies, Writing (or at least trying to...), Su Doku, Day Dreaming And about a million other things! Currently most passionate about my Intuitive Jewelry Crafting :-) and learning how to cook vegetarian for myself

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ouch.
Totally undeserved.

First, a snugly hug...
Posted Image


Now, a few things to keep in mind...

Remember always:
You deserve to be happy
You are worthy of love


Remember to be kind to you.  Every day.

The question isn't Who's going to let me;
it's Who's going to stop me?
-Ayn Rand


What we really are matters more than what others think of us.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

Don't forget to Love yourself
-Soren Kirkegaard


And finally, (Just like Amy pointed out, )
Nobody can hurt me without my permission.  
-Mahatma Gandhi


I know that's so easy to say, and harder to live.  But you have to make up your mind that what she (or anyone else) says Does Not Define You.  And so what they say about you does not matter.  Don't give her that power, don't give her that permission, don't let her hurt you.  Be the better person, and it will prove out.

Also remember, you got a ton of peeps here who love you.  Does she have the awesome Rush gang as friends.?.  I dont think so!!!  LOL.  :hug2:  :heart:  We're here for ya', babe.

Edited by Garden Dancer, 18 June 2013 - 03:30 PM.


#9 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6123 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Someone talking trash about Mika?
Posted Image

#10 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42074 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

"This makes me so mad I can't even remember how Tom Sawyer goes!!"
Posted Image

#11 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1363 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Far From Home...
  • Interests:Singing, Dancing, Magick, Bird Watching, Baseball, Rush, Geddy Lee, Steve Vai, Gardening, Nature, Moonlight, Wine, Faeries, Poetry, Animals, Reading, Drawing, Movies, Writing (or at least trying to...), Su Doku, Day Dreaming And about a million other things! Currently most passionate about my Intuitive Jewelry Crafting :-) and learning how to cook vegetarian for myself

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostLorraine, on 18 June 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Geddy sez:

Was someone mean to my Mika???  Let me at 'em!!!
Posted Image

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 18 June 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Someone talking trash about Mika?
Posted Image

View PostLorraine, on 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

"This makes me so mad I can't even remember how Tom Sawyer goes!!"
Posted Image

Not only have you got Rush fans backing you up..  you got Rush Themselves on your side!  Rock on!

#12 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24273 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Just let it go for now.  Do not respond to her, or even message her.  She's gone, and you aren't.  Have your three days off, and go back to work.  Then see how things are.

#13 Retrospective

Retrospective

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 799 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Boston, MA
  • Interests:I am a dreamer and a poet. I like music also.
    Lighting and Sound Design student at Boston University.
    Married to Steven Wilson.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Mika,

I know all of the feelings you're having - I've actually been having them myself recently about incidents in my life. My advice: DO NOT respond on Facebook. A couple of people have already said that, but I want to reemphasize it. I got in trouble with someone trying to respond to their criticism of me on Facebook and it just exploded into a really bad situation.

Honestly, that girl is obviously incredibly immature if her only solution to the problem she has with you is ranting about it on Facebook in a stupidly indirect and passive aggressive way. I wouldn't engage that sort of behavior if I were you, because based on what I've seen on TRF and the way you wrote this post: you are much, much better than that.

This may sound like trivial advice: but don't let it go to your head, put your energy into being the best employee and coworker that you can be from here on out. Don't look towards the past, just focus on how you can make the future better.

Thanks for sharing your experience - sometimes it just helps to get out what's bothering you into a safe space. :)

#14 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostLorraine, on 18 June 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Geddy sez:

Was someone mean to my Mika???  Let me at 'em!!!
Posted Image

Well if that gorgeous creature doesn't make you feel better, I don't know what will.

I hate things like this at jobs. I've been through situations where I've done nothing wrong, I've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time and around the wrong people and things I've said have been taken out of context. It is NEVER a good idea for anybody to be under their parents at a non-family owned business. NEVER. People LOVE gossip! They love drama! It makes things interesting. I would just go around and act like nothing happened, and be totally nice to everybody.

I'm also up front with people when I feel I need to be. Maybe just go up to her and lay it out (and keep a screen shot of her Facebook nonsense).

Also, with her father being fired she's probably a little paranoid. I wouldn't worry though, sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out and people get fired, laid off, or quit. Let's cross our fingers. Hopefully she'll be able to get away with less of whatever it was now that daddy is gone.

:hug2:

#15 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 79165 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

I wish I knew what to say, as I'm not that good with words, so I echo some sentiments here: be true to yourself, hold your head up high, ignore any negativity, don't respond to any FB messages - block her if it helps, have your three days off and make each day count, don't even think about this girl. You're worth so much more. You're not alone - we're with you, we've got your back.

:hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:  :hug2:

#16 Mika

Mika

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1393 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:BC, Canada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

Everyone, I am so, so grateful that you've taken the time to not only read my long post, but respond to it, and so awesomely! I read through all of them a bit earlier, and had tears running down my cheeks, but they were happier tears than I had last night, that's for sure! You are all so awesome and have no idea how much better you've all made me feel! The only worse thing about being sad is being sad alone. The pictures of the Rush boys are really awesome, and I kept staring at the cute kitty cuddling the stuffy.

I've had a quiet day today, and things have been mulling through my mind. I don't like inaction, I like to resolve stuff, but maybe it's best this time just to turn the other cheek and ignore it. I'm itching to send a personal message to the girl, but knowing me and how I write stuff out, it would be a long message, and I really doubt she'd read it, let alone respond. And I think many of you are right in that I shouldn't respond to the facebook message. No matter what I'd write, it'd be fighting fire with fire, and there could be no good ending for me, I'm sure.

I'm starting to feel angrier, which is good; I'm feeling that someone that would believe horrible things about me isn't worth my time, anyway. I know I'm not a bad person, though I'm certainly not perfect, and that I have good intentions, even if it seems sometimes they get miscontrued. But it seems that some people seem to want to believe the negative misconstrument rather than what could also be seen as good, know what I mean? If there's ambiguity in something, there are those that will choose to think the negative side is the truth, and other people that will focus on the positive side, but I guess that also calls the ambiguous person's character into play, as well. Well, assuming I'm not an evil person with bad intentions, I guess maybe it says more about the other person taking something the wrong way. At least thinking along these lines makes me feel a little better.

And, yes, work is work, and co-workers are co-workers. There's such a mix of people, usually, in a job pool, that I can't really expect to get along with everyone, no matter how amiable I might strive to be. I guess I need to be able to be ok with not being liked by every single person in my world - with differing personalities and outlooks, it just isn't really feasible. Unless one happens to be an extremely charismatic person who was blessed with enormous social skills.

And I'm looking at a few role models right now, or rather looking at people that I admire and thinking about how they would deal with a situation like this. Take Geddy, for example. He displays a calm, self-depricating outlook, and I think he would handle this with grace.

Gotta go, the bf has just got home......

Thanks again, everyone, and more later. :) :) :)

#17 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

The problem with trying to respond privately on the Internet to someone like this, who has targeted you with unreasonable anger and is classless and passive-aggressive and cowardly enough to post a vicious public message cursing you out without naming you, is that usually they will read your message with nothing but a predisposition to get angrier.  This happened to me a few years ago when I had a misunderstanding with someone who was supposedly an actual friend of mine, and my attempts to explain myself to her in what I thought was a clear, well-thought-out and peaceable way were taken by her as my attacking and criticising her even though I meant nothing of the sort.  This led to her bitching me out behind my back in our social group, which put everyone in that group in a very awkward position because she's a much more popular and social person than I am.  I felt horrible about myself for ages, complete with hiding out and having crying fits on the couch, and even though things were eventually resolved, I have been unable to fully trust or feel comfortable in that group since then.

Responding publicly on the Internet is even worse, because it puts the conflict on display and forces people to take sides, even if only in their mind.  It also opens the door both for backpedaling (such as "Well, I wasn't even TALKING about YOU" even if she indeed was talking about you) and as justification/reinforcement for the anger ("Meddling bitch thinks that everything is about HER!" kind of thing), which could perpetuate the mess and make you feel even worse about yourself.  Internet communication is the absolute pits for dealing with things like this, so I agree completely with all who have said not to respond on Facebook, and also very much agree with your own conclusion that writing to her is at best a waste of your time and emotions.  If she was someone you cared about, someone important to you, it would be different, but as hard as it is to let injustice like this stand, it sounds very much like the only thing you have to gain by doing anything other than ignoring it is more trouble and bad feelings.

I know I'm a little late with this reply, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you're on the right track in your effort to step back emotionally from the situation and not get any further involved in this girl's trip.  Without fuel, fires die.  It sounds to me like you've got more class in your pinky toe than she has in her entire being.  Go with that! :hug2:

#18 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42074 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Mika, to sum it up - don't throw your pearls before swine.  You are dealing with someone who is not on your level and is emotionally stunted and immature.  She is beneath you.  And that is how Geddy would see it as well (as far as I can tell from all that I have read about and picked up just by watching him).

Rush doesn't suffer fools well, and this young lady is just that - a fool.  She will be like that for the rest of her life.  Some things you just don't change.  I went through eight years of grammar school with the same children.  We went our separate ways for high school, but I met up with many of them later as adults.  All they were (most of them) were adult versions of what they had been as children.

Remember:  this too shall pass!

#19 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Mika,


Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.


I also work in a retail envorinment and know how stressful it can be...


...especially when situations such as these arise.


~Peace, RGLT



#20 Mika

Mika

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1393 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:BC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Feeling blah tonight. I've been on my own all day, as the bf is working. I generally like days off to myself, but I've been too wound up in unhappiness today, and lazy to boot. Plus, I need to go in and talk to what is now my new GM, especially because I've just seen our new work schedule for next week, and it is rather... not what I'm used to.

One thing I didn't mention is that my old GM also has his boyfriend working there... yes, that's a whole other can of worms. While the daughter has been removed from the schedule, the boyfriend is still working... wonder how that's going to go. Not really looking forward to the next few work days.... What if I end up having to put up with a demotion of sorts, crappy shifts... for all I've worked for, that's not going to fly with me.

I think some of you might yell at me to hurry up and quit and get a different job already! and you'd be right. I think I'm too scared to try something new, though, or at least at this moment.

Oh, and the last day I'd worked with him, my old GM and I had made tentative plans to go out for lunch tomorrow, as we sometimes do. I've sent him a couple of messages, to see how he's doing and if we're on for lunch, but no response. One thing I can't stand is being ignored - he should let me know if he's interested or not, but not leave me hanging. Grrrr.

Anyway, I've been a bit silly in letting this whole stupid thing bring me down, so much that I'm not paying attention to Getting Ready for Geddy.... Tomorrow is a new day and I'll stop wallowing and move forward, with whatever ends up happening. Roll those bones, fate and happenstance, and we'll see what happens.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeling, very, low, right, now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users