101 Best Written TV Series Of All Time

ReRushed

How on Earth could anyone suggest that there have been 101 decent TV series? I've always thought that the number was around 20.....

Fawlty towers was tied with the Rockford files. I enjoyed the Rockford files but c'mon

Did you ever see the crossover mini-series: Fawlty Rockford? Rockford ends up in England and the hilarity ensues. Those zany Brits.

James Garner's deadpan reactions to John Cleese's lunacy is priceless.

Friends? I never laughed watching that show. Not once. Not a giggle, not a chuckle, not a tee-hee, never went ha.

I watched it once. A total snooze-fest.

A former buddy of mine watched it religiously, and he once said to me, "You just have to get into the characters!"

Characters? What characters? I saw only six nincompoops..... :huh:

Friends? I never laughed watching that show. Not once. Not a giggle, not a chuckle, not a tee-hee, never went ha.

I watched it once. A total snooze-fest.

A former buddy of mine watched it religiously, and he once said to me, "You just have to get into the characters!"

Characters? What characters? I saw only six nincompoops..... :huh:

There are worse shows but FRIENDS is the most overrated show ever imho. The only decent bit of it was seeing Aniston in mini-skirts. And I STILL hated that show
  • Like 2

Friends was a great show. So is Big Bang. I still can't decide which one is better. Both shows are way better than Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong, I think Seinfeld was a decent show, and I've seen my fair share of episodes, but it's hard for me to love a show where every character is fairly despicable. I enjoy shows where you can actually care about at least some characters.

Other really well written comedies off the top of my head - Mash obviously, Taxi, Family Ties, Louie, The Wonder Years, Sex and the City, Cheers, Scrubs, etc.

I think there are a LOT of really well written tv shows on that list. Not all of them belong there, and there are certainly plenty I've never seen, but there are a lot of great ones.

I'm continually amazed on TRF by how almost anything that's really popular is deeply hated by so many.

Friends was a great show. So is Big Bang. I still can't decide which one is better. Both shows are way better than Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong, I think Seinfeld was a decent show, and I've seen my fair share of episodes, but it's hard for me to love a show where every character is fairly despicable. I enjoy shows where you can actually care about at least some characters.

Other really well written comedies off the top of my head - Mash obviously, Taxi, Family Ties, Louie, The Wonder Years, Sex and the City, Cheers, Scrubs, etc.

I think there are a LOT of really well written tv shows on that list. Not all of them belong there, and there are certainly plenty I've never seen, but there are a lot of great ones.

I'm continually amazed on TRF by how almost anything that's really popular is deeply hated by so many.

you complain about seinfeld having despicable characters (which goes against some silly "righteous hippie" ideal I assume) but then rave about the big bang theory, which features sheldon cooper, the biggest pompous nerd dickhead on television? he is a much less likable character, but I can only assume he is so loved here because he acts like a rush fan...

seinfeld had unique humor and plot, friends is just some friends being friends and f***ing each other and ha ha look at that girl's hair and boy joey is so dumb tee hee hee lets take our soma now

• Like 1

although I'm glad they put fawlty towers, but they only put it because of the monty python connection with john cleese, and python is hip and cool in the states, whereas blackadder is unheard of.
  • Like 1

Bullshit. I really enjoyed those top 4 shows listed...and they were insanely popular. And I like a lot of those shows on there that are also very popular. If FRIENDS had been unpopular I would've still hated that piece of crap. It just so happened that it was very well-received
  • Like 1

I'm surprised "Maude" (All in the Family spinoff with Bea Arthur in the lead) didn't make the list. One of the highest rated and controversial episodes about abortion at the time of Rowe v. Wade. As with other Norman Lear sitcoms, it dealt with all kinds of social issues of the day.

Before clicking the link, the show I thought should be #1... actually was #1! Imagine that.

I think 24 is way too low on the list. It was inventive and something completely new. Same with Lost. If it was really about "best written" - both those shows should have been top 10.