Scott Weiland was the only thing stopping STP from sounding like Rush

LedRush

"But as far as this band goes? The vision? The artistic direction of the band? And trying to keep them from sounding like Rush? I'm sorry. I have to be totally honest. It was me. I'm guilty. I kept them from doing it. That's all I've got to say."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2385315

Do we thank him or condemn him?

I say we thank him...rarely would 90's alt rock immediately segue into the progressive...this whole business with STP replacing Scott with Chester-whatshisname from Linkin Park sickens me a little bit....sure Scott was in and out of rehab and could be quite the Jim Morrison, but he was what made the group what it is...the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz are amazing musicians...but they'll be heading down a toilet of failure with this new lineup....okay now that i got sidetracked with that rant...it seems like that Rush reference was one of praise. I just hope this doesnt end as badly as the Manzarek/Krieger vs. Densmore lawsuit

Wow, thanks for making me feel dirty for being a fan of STP since junior high Scott, you :rush: hating a$$hole! :facepalm: :rage:

Seriously, Core and Ten are what got me into 90s alternative and I never looked back since the Xmas of 93 when I got those albums at age 13. Peter Venkman said it best, "this man has no dick."

Edited by invisible airwave

I think Scott underestimates how many people are fans of both bands. It's pointless to make stAtements like this. Why alienate your fans? I'm reading his reasoning on how they can kick him out after his laundry list of things with the band. He should call Ozzy and Geoff and they can tell him exactly how it can be done.

Im just curious as to what steps STP were making in order to sound like Rush..what did he mean by that?..were they exploring more complex musical themes?..adding more synths?...

For the record, i dont own any STP...only know the radio songs..

Edited by Xanadoood

Do we thank him or condemn him?

Ignore him.

Try it, it's not really that hard.

• Like 2

Im just curious as to what steps STP were making in order to sound like Rush..what did he mean by that?..were they exploring more complex musical themes?..adding more synths?...

I assumed he meant that they were needing help organizing their riffs into radio friendly songs and not musician friendly songs.

I like STP. Scott Weiland is arguably one of the best front men in rock over the last 20 years. He has a commanding stage presence. I hadn't heard they were replacing him with Chester. That is weird. Is Chester leaving Linkin Park or is it just a fill in job?
  • Like 1

I like STP. Scott Weiland is arguably one of the best front men in rock over the last 20 years. He has a commanding stage presence. I hadn't heard they were replacing him with Chester. That is weird. Is Chester leaving Linkin Park or is it just a fill in job?

I don't think Chester is leaving LP. Here's a thread about that.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/82744-new-stone-temple-pilots-singer/

I like Stone Temple Pilots, but I always got the impression that Scott Weiland was more concerned with being a rock star than being a musician. He's written some good melodies and lyrics, but he's strictly a B-list rock star, at best.
  • Like 3

My guess is that perhaps some of the other guys in the band are huge Rush fans and wanted to write songs more in that vein.

Didn't he get the memo that it's not cool anymore to take shots at Rush?

The other three guys in STP are all on record about being huge Rush fans and they have always wanted to take the band to a different level in terms of complexity but also accessible. I guess he's been against it

Rush has really been the only band to do so. Well now Tool.

Rush's formula really only works for Rush

• Like 1

By commanding, do you mean that be was so drunk or high that he would nearly fall over and routinely forget lyrics? That happened at both shows I attended, and one was supposed to be the "sober" Weiland. I actually like STP and even have Weiland's first solo album (bad, very bad), but I can't agree that he's arguably one of the best front men in rock.

I'm interpret his comment as meaning that he was responsible for simplifying the songs, as well as adding pop and sex appeal to the band and their songs.....

That's kind of the same vibe I got. I don't think there was any offense to RUSH in his statement. I'm too young to remember those gunge years, but I don't think RUSH was very popular back then.