A Brave Fan Asks Patrick Stewart A Question He Doesn't Usually Get And Is Given A Beautiful Answer

barney_rebel

I saw this clip earlier today. Have always respected Patrick Stewart for his stance on domestic violence and after this clip I love him even more.

Agreed. Very powerful and my regard for him, already very high, has grown.

Thanks for sharing the clip, Barney. :cheers: :hi:

When he talks about his mother and how he does what he does now because he couldn't help her then.... the tears, man. :(

He spoke eloquently. Very impressive, very inspirational.

• Like 1

He is a wonderful person. He has done things like this for years. I remember going to see him on a cold December night to do a one man performance of A Christmas Carol. I was in awe and I think I sat there with my mouth open the whole time, he was brilliant! He also donated 50 % of the proceeds of the show to Traveler's Aid. The man walks his talk for sure :mwah: :notworthy: :angel: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

This was a great watch, thank you for sharing!

I don't know that much about Patrick Stewart outside of Star Trek, TNG (which I'm incidently currently re-watching), but I've taken him to be a honourable man, and I see that this clip certainly corroborates this! I didn't know this about his childhood, but it warms my heart to see him 'fighting back' now when he couldn't then.

And he's abosolutely right: it is never, ever ok to choose violence, and this goes for women towards men, too.

Never.

And I can't understand how some people seem to not get this, but then I've got my own shoes to wear instead of trying to put myself in someone else's.

"I've got my own moral compass to guide me, to tell if my choice is leaning up or down." Some people seem to have lost their compasses....

And last note: this is one reason I admire the Rush boys: I don't think there's been any news of them being violent or physically unpleasant at all (unless someone would point out Alex's kerfuffle with the law some years ago...).

Ok, last last note. I have this belief that how a person interacts with animals says a lot about him/her and shows hidden violent tendencies - there seems to be something about the relative submissiveness of animals that can bring out very undesirable behaviour in some people, as in a person might swear at or call names to a pet or treat it disrespectfully. I think this says a lot about someone who might otherwise seem to be a decent person. [speaking of animals, my namesake cat has just jumped up in front of me and is looking for pettings!]

Thanks for sharing - when I watch more Star Trek I'll be holding even more respect for a certain captain.

• Like 4

I like the way he asked the girl if she was ok.

I lost my parents to domestic violence when I was 21 and it is comforting and inspirational to see a video like this. Thank you for posting :)

Wow this was really, really hard to watch!

I started crying while watching and my husband asked me what was wrong and I couldn't tell him why. I felt bad.

I'm the ex girlfriend of a soldier with PTSD and he used to have violent episodes in his sleep. It wasn't too bad but sometimes he would start punching or kicking and I'd wake up with bruises and scratches, it was unreal. He would also act out in other ways and did very, very hurtful things. Of course it didn't help that he was a philandering jerk before the war (Iraq pt. 2) but I know it made things worse. In his regular job he was a police officer and after returning from Baghdad he started getting complaints for being violent during arrests, it got so bad that one person he wrongfully arrested sued him and he "retired" from the force.

Anyway, yeah, sad all around for all of those involved.

Wow this was really, really hard to watch!

I started crying while watching and my husband asked me what was wrong and I couldn't tell him why. I felt bad.

I'm the ex girlfriend of a soldier with PTSD and he used to have violent episodes in his sleep. It wasn't too bad but sometimes he would start punching or kicking and I'd wake up with bruises and scratches, it was unreal. He would also act out in other ways and did very, very hurtful things. Of course it didn't help that he was a philandering jerk before the war (Iraq pt. 2) but I know it made things worse. In his regular job he was a police officer and after returning from Baghdad he started getting complaints for being violent during arrests, it got so bad that one person he wrongfully arrested sued him and he "retired" from the force.

Anyway, yeah, sad all around for all of those involved.

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 1

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

X10!

• Like 1

When he talks about his mother and how he does what he does now because he couldn't help her then.... the tears, man. :(

worst feeling there is when you're a little kid and you have to see your own mother in such a vulnerable state.. I remember being about 6 and listening to my mother get beat up.. then hear my dad say to us.. "don't worry. she learned her lesson.." :(

I always think about the ones who never are saved.. who end up living their lives in such pain and suffering ..

my mother wrote a short book of her life story when she was in the hospital in hopes that it might help prevent other girls from falling into the same fate.. CBC turned it into a short documentary and I heard from my niece they are showing it in schools here to grade nine students now.. I have shared copies of this book with people I've met in the past who could possibly benefit from it. it makes me proud that she managed to do something like this but I think about the life she, and a lot of these women have.. a life of suffering.. it's just so not fair.. :(

I've never mentioned this on here before except with one person in p.m a few weeks ago.. I usually keep it buried in my daily life but this nice TRF member has inspired me consider sharing this story anywhere it can do possible good.. it is my mother's wish after all! ..and if anyone is genuinely interested in this book, PM me..

I guess it's fitting I dedicate this post to the person I owe everything positive in my life to..

Carolyn Goguen ~1944-1991~ rest in peace :rose:

• Like 4

My story is not as heart wrenching as others on here, but growing up I remember my mom would literally throw dresser drawers full of stuff at my dad's head. He ALWAYS saw it coming, thank goodness. She'd slap him, throw things at him, curse at him and told him she wanted him to hit her back so she could get him arrested.

My dad NEVER laid a finger on her, not once. He refused.

Between that, cheating on him VERY openly (oh look, mom's dry humping a random man in the kitchen again), her being verbally abusive (to all of us), etc. she was very abusive. Abuse of ANY kind is unacceptable.

Personally I went out with a very abusive guy when I was 16. We were friends for 2 years, and had a great relationship until I agreed to go out with him. Once I became his "girlfriend", he changed immediately.

He beat on me every day, did other messed up stuff, one time he dug the barrel of a BB gun into my leg as hard as he could and shot me- told me next time it would be a real gun.

I remember one night he pulled the car into a dark alley, locked all the car doors and told me he had been dreaming of killing me. He told me in great detail how he was going to "rape, shoot and dispose" of me.

Once he told me this, I told him to drive me home, we were over, and f*ck him.

Some people are really twisted, and not everyone is lucky to get out of that relationship.

My story is not as heart wrenching as others on here, but growing up I remember my mom would literally throw dresser drawers full of stuff at my dad's head. He ALWAYS saw it coming, thank goodness. She'd slap him, throw things at him, curse at him and told him she wanted him to hit her back so she could get him arrested.

Between that, cheating on him VERY openly (oh look, mom's dry humping a random man in the kitchen again), her being verbally abusive (to all of us), etc. she was very abusive. Abuse of ANY kind is unacceptable.

Personally I went out with a very abusive guy when I was 16. We were friends for 2 years, and had a great relationship until I agreed to go out with him. Once I became his "girlfriend", he changed immediately.

He beat on me every day, did other messed up stuff, one time he dug the barrel of a BB gun into my leg as hard as he could and shot me- told me next time it would be a real gun.

I remember one night he pulled the car into a dark alley, locked all the car doors and told me he had been dreaming of killing me. He told me in great detail how he was going to "rape, shoot and dispose" of me.

Some people are really twisted, and not everyone is lucky to get out of that relationship.

yes.. not everyone is so lucky because most abusers will spend some time tearing down the person's self esteem to the point where the victim starts to feel like they deserve it somehow. this is hard for outsiders to understand.. they always say "she should just leave him" or even "it's her fault for not leaving.. it's really not that easy sometimes without help..

hobo73 I'm sorry to hear about your parents. not often you hear of a woman abuser, to me it's basically the same thing. abuse is abuse..

luckily though you were a strong enough person to kick that guy's ass to the curb!! good to hear :) :hug2:

• Like 3

yes.. not everyone is so lucky because most abusers will spend some time tearing down the person's self esteem to the point where the victim starts to feel like they deserve it somehow. this is hard for outsiders to understand.. they always say "she should just leave him" or even "it's her fault for not leaving.. it's really not that easy sometimes without help..

hobo73 I'm sorry to hear about your parents. not often you hear of a woman abuser, to me it's basically the same thing. abuse is abuse..

luckily though you were a strong enough person to kick that guy's ass to the curb!! good to hear :) :hug2:

:yes: It took me quite a couple of years to stop believing what my ex would say other people thought of me. I was at the point where I thought he was the only person I could trust.

I'm glad you kicked his ass to the curb too!!!

• Like 2

Oh yes, they break you down and make it so you think they know what's best over anyone else. Outsiders simply don't know. =/

One of the things he controlled was what I ate- in other words, I ate nothing. He told me I was a "whale", and for HIM to look good (about his choice in ladies), I had to lose weight. I was lucky to get a couple bites of food a day, basically.

One time at his home, his parents came home early with a few pizzas. They told me to "dig in"- he never ever treated me badly in front of his parents.

I ATE. I ate so much pizza and loved every bite. He glared at me the entire time.

Sure enough he beat the sh*t out of me for eating. For a while I said "He may have beat me, but I got to eat! Worth it."

Now I look back like "WORTH it???? screw that noise, I'm allowed to eat without 'paying' for it!!" lol.

Ended up going to court against him, once cops got wind of what he was doing to me they filed charges whether I wanted to or not (some funky Illinois law lol). But I'm glad the law is in place for situations like mine.

He only got a years probation, but at least something was done :P

• Like 2

This is for everyone who has posted here:

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/grouphugg.gif

Thanks Barny for sharing!! :cheers:

Awesome clip of an awesome actor! :notworthy:

That part where he talks about the discoveries of his father's past was in a programme here in Britain called "Who Do Think You Are?". It is one of those find your ancestry type shows and was very interesting.

I saw this clip earlier today. Have always respected Patrick Stewart for his stance on domestic violence and after this clip I love him even more.

Agreed. Very powerful and my regard for him, already very high, has grown.

Thanks for sharing the clip, Barney. :cheers: :hi:

+10

• Like 1