Rush and the Broken People

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#221 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6191 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

I've got post #5 in this long thread but when I wrote that (over two years ago wow!), I typed a lot more but then chickened out..

So I guess I'll spill this now for anyone who cares to read it :/

Basically I identify with this thread so much because I've always felt this bond greatly. You see I've always been an introverted deep thinker with no real social skills and was quite shy as a child. I spent countless hours in my room getting lost in Rush's epic music partly because my Dad was a paranoid sociopath with a drinking problem. I had no real relationship with him and he was very abusive

When I was 18 I married my first girlfriend because she was pregnant and a month or so after my baby girl was born I lost my parents in a murder/suicide and had to watch Mom try to survive paralyzed with a machine breathing for her until her own spirituality inspired her to request the machine to be turned off. I got to say goodbye anyway.

I stayed married for 13 years and had 3 more children but I was a bit of a depressed Zombie with no real feeling of purpose. I didn't really care about much which has led to different things in the past like bankruptcies, drug use and generally driving my life into a ditch..

I think when one grows up without certain aspects in their life to build character and confidence then they end up feeling somewhat "broken"

Now back to Rush.. exactly. "Back to Rush. It's where I've often turned to recharge myself and reflect throughout my  life. Many have talked about the song "Losing it" saving them ,well I can vividly remember listening to that song crying and vibrating with that "electrical storm" in my veins..  

Anyway I'll wrap this up before I go on forever.. I'm not typing this for any kind of sympathy because I'm actually doing pretty good now. No, I wanted to share because I know how it feels to feel like you're the only one.. like you can't tell anyone.. and then to hear about others' similar experiences helps in a real way.

Rush has been the only constant in my life. What a nice thing to be able to say :)

Sponsored Post

#222 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostMMCXII, on 12 August 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

I've got post #5 in this long thread but when I wrote that (over two years ago wow!), I typed a lot more but then chickened out..

Basically I identify with this thread so much because I've always felt this bond greatly. You see I've always been an introverted deep thinker with no real social skills and was quite shy as a child. I spent countless hours in my room getting lost in Rush's epic music partly because my Dad was a paranoid sociopath with a drinking problem. I had no real relationship with him and he was very abusive

When I was 18 I married my first girlfriend because she was pregnant and a month or so after my baby girl was born I lost my parents in a murder/suicide and had to watch Mom try to survive paralyzed with a machine breathing for her until her own spirituality inspired her to request the machine to be turned off. I got to say goodbye anyway.

I stayed married for 13 years and had 3 more children but I was a bit of a depressed Zombie with no real feeling of purpose. I didn't really care about much which has led to different things in the past like bankruptcies, drug use and generally driving my life into a ditch..

I think when one grows up without certain aspects in their life to build character and confidence then they end up feeling somewhat "broken"

Now back to Rush.. exactly. "Back to Rush. It's where I've often turned to recharge myself and reflect throughout my  life. Many have talked about the song "Losing it" saving them ,well I can vividly remember listening to that song crying and vibrating with that "electrical storm" in my veins..  

Anyway I'll wrap this up before I go on forever.. I'm not typing this for any kind of sympathy because I'm actually doing pretty good now. No, I wanted to share because I know how it feels to feel like you're the only one.. like you can't tell anyone.. and then to hear about others' similar experiences helps in a real way.

Rush has been the only constant in my life. What a nice thing to be able to say :)

Your post made me cry.

You are a winner.  You pulled yourself up by the bootstraps instead of wallowing in self-pity and victimhood.  You have my sincere admiration and respect.

Edited by Lorraine, 12 August 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#223 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

:hug2:

#224 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6191 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

Thank you! ..BTW I meant "The Pass", not "Losing It"..  I must still have the Vancouver show in my head lol

#225 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Such an amazing testimony...thank you.

#226 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Cheers to Rush and to you.  :)

#227 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:hiking, art, making stuff, reading, antique shopping

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:23 PM

What a beautiful post.  I totally understand that whole misfit feeling.  Rush's music just speaks to me, so deeply.  I am also a misfit among the misfits because of my religious beliefs.  Rush has given me so many new friends, here & at shows, meet up groups, all the places where we gather. I'm new here also.

#228 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:03 PM

Right, I am probably the most broken person at this board, mostly because of my failed relationships.

#229 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

View PostBoots, on 30 October 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

Right, I am probably the most broken person at this board, mostly because of my failed relationships.

I seriously doubt that.

#230 TemplesofLamneth

TemplesofLamneth

The Seeker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Coming across this post again...

I literally just cried reading OPs post, sitting here Watching my R40 DVD knowing good and well I may never get to see then live again. None of us may.

#231 TemplesofLamneth

TemplesofLamneth

The Seeker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

Well, worst fears confirmed.

Now to buy a nice shadowbox to put my R40 shirt and ticket in. It shall be a night I tell the grandchildren about with tears and a twinkle ib my eye..

#232 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Devastation in Fort McMurray:
https://www.youtube....h?v=K5DSwPfiRs8
https://www.youtube....h?v=kSPFt6O1FLI
https://www.youtube....h?v=ieTQvIdG-Vo
Please help if you can.  Donate to the Red Cross.  Thanks.
www.redcross.ca
www.helpfortmac.com

#233 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

I wonder whatever happened to GedsJeans?  I wrote to her a few times and she never answered.  I know she wrote here in one post that she was/is a borderline personality.  Hope she is alright.  This thread will already be three years old in a few short days.  I think it was a Saturday that she came here and started this thread.  

If you are reading this GJ, thinking of and truly hoping all is well with you.  :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

#234 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

View PostLorraine, on 07 May 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

I wonder whatever happened to GedsJeans?  I wrote to her a few times and she never answered.  I know she wrote here in one post that she was/is a borderline personality.  Hope she is alright.  This thread will already be three years old in a few short days.  I think it was a Saturday that she came here and started this thread.  

If you are reading this GJ, thinking of and truly hoping all is well with you.  :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Seems like a lot of people will join, post a few things and leave.

#235 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

I was violently assaulted by a skateboarder.  He knocked me over, called me a bitch and then rode away like an a**hole.  It was terrifying.

#236 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

View PostBoots, on 28 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

I was violently assaulted by a skateboarder.  He knocked me over, called me a bitch and then rode away like an a**hole.  It was terrifying.
I think that would be traumatizing if it happened to me too.

Have you recovered, or are you still shaken up?

#237 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostLorraine, on 28 July 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

It is traumatizing.  I will probably need to see a therapist.  This was verbal and physical abuse.

#238 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostBoots, on 29 July 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

It is traumatizing.  I will probably need to see a therapist.  This was verbal and physical abuse.

That incident sounds awful.  Were you able to call the police, or campus security?  They might be familiar with the individual, even if you didn't get much of a look at him.

#239 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

View Postblueschica, on 29 July 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

That incident sounds awful.  Were you able to call the police, or campus security?  They might be familiar with the individual, even if you didn't get much of a look at him.
It didn't happen at school.  I don't want to involve the police.  That would only make it worse.  The police force in my city is one of the most corrupt organizations in the country.  They beat up ordinary citizens every week.  They have also been known to kill innocent people.

#240 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostBoots, on 29 July 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 29 July 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

It didn't happen at school.  I don't want to involve the police.  That would only make it worse.  The police force in my city is one of the most corrupt organizations in the country.  They beat up ordinary citizens every week.  They have also been known to kill innocent people.
That really sounds horrible.  I was wondering that when I asked you - I know some police departments are helpful and others can be just the opposite. I'm so sorry.  :hug2:     Your idea of perhaps seeing a therapist is a good one. A close friend was violently mugged in a major city recently and started going to therapy for it, it turns out she is dealing with a form of post traumatic stress from the incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users