Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

Yngwie does absolutely nothing for me.

Great call. He has absolutely zero feel for a song. He and Ronnie James Dio did a cover of Dream On. Horrible. Because of Malmsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZamjrXCDvo

Reminds me of how he completely shits all over this cover of Rockin in the Free World.. Satriani and Vai show some restraint , but I get the feeling Malmsteen had never even heard of the song.. Haha

Edited by Xanadoood

Malmsteen simply doesn't get that you don't have to show everything you have in every song.

His popularity in Europe is quite suprising to me...seems to have a much bigger following there and in Japan.

Malmsteen simply doesn't get that you don't have to show everything you have in every song.

His popularity in Europe is quite suprising to me...seems to have a much bigger following there and in Japan.

I think it comes from the classical influence... They love all that widdly widdly stuff

• Like 1

The Edge

Kurt

Slash

John Mayer

Joe Perry = Hack

Kurt Cobain is a songwriter. Did he ever solo much?

The Edge---hmmm---can't put him on that list---too freaking good

Eric Clapton—Uh yeah. He's always been overrated

CC Deville—he deserves to be on that list

Take all of the top shredders (satch, vai, malmsteen, Kotzen, macalpine, Guy mann dude, ect ad nauseum) and throw them into a burlap sack. Take a bat and beat the hell out of the sack. You WILL hit the most overrated guitarist at least once

• Like 1

When ever I have heard Malmsteen, I just hear notes. I don't hear music. :(

When ever I have heard Malmsteen, I just hear notes. I don't hear music. :(

Too many notes!

I may be on thin ice here, but I'm going to say Eddie Van Halen. Shredding isn't everything!

Yeah...cause shredding is all he has ever done. :sarcastic:

ted nugent is overrated because he's not as good as people say he is, in the eyes (or I guess ears) of treeduck

allan holdsworth, on the other hand, is as good as people say he is.

• Like 2

The Edge

Kurt

Slash

John Mayer

Joe Perry = Hack

Brother MD! Slash? Say it ain't so! Have you heard his solo albums with various singers and with Myles Kennedy? Fantastic stuff.

Sorry bro , i love Miles voice but the Slash solo stuff does Zero for me .

Sammy Hagar, he is definately overrated

What? You hardly hear anything of Hagar's playing. If anything he's underrated- not a guitar god, but the man can play.

It was obvious that he pushed EVH as well in terms of upping his game. Hagar is no slouch

The only thing Hammy did to make Eddie "Up His Game " was in the Keyboard dept .

• Like 1

I may be on thin ice here, but I'm going to say Eddie Van Halen. Shredding isn't everything!

You don't have to be a fan of the music , but this is one of the most insane post's i have read here in Years

• Like 1

Eric Clapton, only because he's referred to as a god.

The only people that refer to him as God are the Heroin taking Hippies from the 70's . I like his music but God ? LOL

• Like 1

and slash is only hailed as some sort of guitar hero because of his celebrity status, the guy's good but I can't understand why so many worship him

I love the tone he gets out of his Les Paul. Also, like Iommi, I think he writes fantastic riffs. And, unlike people such as Vai or Malmsteen, he plays what fits the particular song.

yeah, I definitely think slash is a good guitarist. I just think that if GNR hadn't become celebrities no one would still be hailing him as some sort of rock n roll god today, especially when there were so many better guitarists from the era. at least when people rave about page, hendrix, etc, those guys were as good and as innovative as people said.

yeah, I definitely think slash is a good guitarist. I just think that if GNR hadn't become celebrities no one would still be hailing him as some sort of rock n roll god today, especially when there were so many better guitarists from the era. at least when people rave about page, hendrix, etc, those guys were as good and as innovative as people said.

If you haven't checked out his first solo album, I highly recommend it. He has Fergie, Adam Levine, Lemmy and Andrew Stockdale (just to illustrate the diversity) on it. Very cool guitar work from Slash.

I haven't heard anything he's done since the first velvet revolver record (which I didn't really like) but if it's as good as you say it is I'll listen to something off of it