Differences b/w studio and live versions that you like?

zappafrank

I have a hard time listening to studio recordings anymore. Rush is just to good live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

By Tor and the Snowdog. Live versions are the bomb! Especially the ones with the necromancer at the end!

What boot do you have with that on it?

By Tor and the Snowdog. Live versions are the bomb! Especially the ones with the necromancer at the end!

What boot do you have with that on it?

I have the one from "The Sign of Eth"

It is on a few more- "You Can Trust Your Car to the Man in the Star" and "We Have Assumed Control" come to mind, they are both on YouTube.

Between The Wheels from R30. I love the chime-like tone around 2:43. It's so dissonant and works so beautifully! :haz:

The performance of La Villa Strangiato from the Time Machine DVD is my absolute favorite Rush recording ever. Absolute perfection in every sense.

I like that version quite a bit too. Alex seems to have a more throaty guitar tone in recent years, and it's perfect for that La Villa.

Still, my favorite La Villa Strangiato is from ESL. Not gonna bash the studio version, but live is where it's at for that song.

Between The Wheels from R30. I love the chime-like tone around 2:43. It's so dissonant and works so beautifully! :haz:

I like "Between the Wheels" from the Snakes and Arrows live album.

When Geddy screams the last few lyrics after the guitar solo is way cool.

• Like 1

The live versions of Leave that Thing Alone sound so much better than the studio because of the bass.

I really like 2112 on Different Stages because of the darker tone thanks to the step down and Ged's lower range.

La Villa on the Time Machine is absolutely fantastic.

There's something about R30's Xanadu that I enjoy more than the original. Not better overall, but still excellent.

I like live versions of all of their synth records because of the more muscular guitar sound in later years. Also, I like anything where they jam a little more, like in By-Tor on ATWAS.
  • Like 1

Listening to a live '83 show where they're playing the usual bits of 2112 makes me think of another "studio over live" preference I have: on Overture, a couple of measures before the 1812 Overture part, Neil :Neil: hits the snare a couple of times in quarter note intervals as opposed to the usual half note rhythm, which gives the song a little kick and spring in its step at that point. Every time I listen to a live version of the song I keep hoping he does it, but it never happens. :boohoo:

Why do something cool and interesting in the studio version and not carry it over to the live setting? :huh:

Oh boy this will be a long list

The Big Money when they cut to a sound clip and then jam out of it

Subdivisions and Distant Early Warning on ASOH, just feels like there is a lot more emotion in those recordings

Force Ten on the CA tour with the added guitar solo

Witch Hunt any time, as it has a Peter Collins like crunch to it where as the studio had a restricted Rupert Hine Feel

The Weapon, count floyd, need I say more

Dreamline, again with a lack of Hine production

And all the CA tour songs with the added strings

Subdivisions , because of how Alex is WAY more up front in the mix, as opposed to the studio version. His guitar adds so much punch to the song when they play it live. Love it.

Presto on TMT really brought out what a beautiful song it is, when Geddy sings "I am made from the dust of stars, and the oceans flow in my veins" :rose: The acoustic version of Resist :rose:

Geddy sings Ghost Rider off of Vapor trails much differently, and at the time, that's my favorite song, and the way it's sung live just doesn't work with me. The worst part is, if you listen to the chorus off of the remix of Vapor Trails, they took the live audio and used that . My worst nightmares come true.

La Villa on ESL. Wild performance and I love when Geddy "chants" seven minutes deep.

Natural Science on Different Stages. It's sublime.

Freewill on Rio. As much as I disike the sound of Rio, the way the crowd erupts during that solo is fierce. Chills every time.

I always prefer listening to Limelight in a live setting over the studio. The studio version is marvelous, but there's something about it live...

Always loved whenever they extended solos, like a lot of Roll the Bones tracks that have been performed live.

"Natural Science on Different Stages. It's sublime."

+1. Really, all the later versions of Natural Science with the extra "wheels within wheels" verse. Along with ATWAS's By-Tor, my favorite live Rush.

Love the extended guitar solos in the live versions of Dreamline! The extended intro and solo on Where's My Thing? during the RTB tour was great. Also, the extended outro/jam in Bravado takes it to the next level live.

:goodone: 100% Agreed.

These are the first two that popped in my head. The extension on the end of Bravado might just be my favourite thing they add to their live shows. I often miss it whenever I listen to the studio version.

I've also always been a huge fan of Dreamline...and specifically the solo. But I always found it a bit short for my taste on RTB...so extending it during the live versions certainly makes me happy.

"Natural Science on Different Stages. It's sublime."

+1. Really, all the later versions of Natural Science with the extra "wheels within wheels" verse. Along with ATWAS's By-Tor, my favorite live Rush.

I like these too. I don't listen to a lot of live recordings repeatedly but these I like a lot.

• Like 1