Why "2112"?

TheWinslowOfWillowdale

Well, perhaps in order to answer that question, one has to answer, why 2062 first? :D

Maybe a dumb question, but do you "guys" think "2112" has any more of a significant meaning than it just being a time "relatively" far into the future? I.E., do you think Peart had a symbolic reason for choosing that number??

Not a dumb question at all! I've often wondered "Why do they call a chair a chair or a shoe a shoe?".

21:12 is military time for 9:12. 9/12 is September 12 = Neil Peart's birthday.

Now see I didn't think of it this way. Interesting thought. :LOL:

It was far enough in the future, and ended in "12" so they could use the 1812 Overture tie in.
  • Like 1

It was far enough in the future, and ended in "12" so they could use the 1812 Overture tie in.

1812 + 300 = 2112

300 = 300 hours = 3:00 am = the time they usually went to bed back in those days.....

I think that it was nothing more than a rhythmic choice. 2112 - four syllables. I think it sounded good, it fit the music, it was in the future and so they went for it.

Just my guess. (SWAG)

21:12 is military time for 9:12. 9/12 is September 12 = Neil Peart's birthday.

Now see I didn't think of it this way. Interesting thought. :LOL:

How do you see it?

Edited by Chicken hawk

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

• Like 1

This is the one I am most apt to believe. They had probably written the music before the title and 2112 is a "futuristic" 1812 in name just due to the musical theme and generic independence theme.

Edited by mrvander

This is the one I am most apt to believe. They had probably written the music before the title and 2112 is a "futuristic" 1812 in name just due to the musical theme and generic independence theme.

Didn't terry brown or someone confirm this already?

Don't think so. They added the 1812 Overture musical bit AFTER their parts were all written. So that kind of cancels out that otherwise good theory.

I think VISUALLY the number '1' (even though there are two in this case) was important...i.e. the individual against the masses. Plus, the year itself is far enough (but not too far) in the future to dream that society has all gone to oppressive shit.

My other idea on this involves Peart 'chasing the dragon' in a secluded cave in Alberta after the disappointing COS tour. 2112 is simply his documentation of that 'trip'.

:blaze:

;)

21:12 was the time on the clock when Peart was writing the lyrics, he liked the way it sounded and called the whole album after it. The rest is history and this is KISSTORY!

Don't think so. They added the 1812 Overture musical bit AFTER their parts were all written. So that kind of cancels out that otherwise good theory.

Do we have any citations to either confirm or deny this?

Neil may have also have read the Alfred Bester short story "Disappearing Act". A society is locked in an endless war and has only engineers and scientists left, and it turns out they need artists. The year, 2112.

It is very much the type of story Neil may have run across in those years, and there are some thematic similarities. Just throwing it out there. You can find the story online.

• Like 1

In the year 2062, a galaxy-wide war results in the union of all planets under the rule of the Red Star of the Solar Federation. By 2112, the world is controlled by the "Priests of the Temples of Syrinx," who determine the content of all reading matter, songs, pictures - every facet of life.

A man discovers an ancient guitar and learns to play his own music. Thinking he has made a wonderful discovery that will be a boon to humanity, he goes to present the guitar to the priests of the Temples, who angrily destroy it and rebuke him for unearthing one of the "silly whims" that caused the collapse of the previous civilization. He goes into hiding and dreams of a world before the Solar Federation. Upon awakening he becomes distraught and commits suicide. As he dies, another planetary battle begins resulting in the ambiguous ending "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control." (This spoken section was created by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson reportedly "messing around with a tape recorder.") In the "VH1 Classic Albums" series about the album, Neil Peart confirmed that he intended the ending to be a happy one as the people of the Solar Federation are liberated. (Wikipedia)

In the year 2062, a galaxy-wide war results in the union of all planets under the rule of the Red Star of the Solar Federation. By 2112, the world is controlled by the "Priests of the Temples of Syrinx," who determine the content of all reading matter, songs, pictures - every facet of life.

A man discovers an ancient guitar and learns to play his own music. Thinking he has made a wonderful discovery that will be a boon to humanity, he goes to present the guitar to the priests of the Temples, who angrily destroy it and rebuke him for unearthing one of the "silly whims" that caused the collapse of the previous civilization. He goes into hiding and dreams of a world before the Solar Federation. Upon awakening he becomes distraught and commits suicide. As he dies, another planetary battle begins resulting in the ambiguous ending "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control." (This spoken section was created by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson reportedly "messing around with a tape recorder.") In the "VH1 Classic Albums" series about the album, Neil Peart confirmed that he intended the ending to be a happy one as the people of the Solar Federation are liberated. (Wikipedia)

And this week's, "Totally Missing the Point of the OP" award goes to... ;)

• Like 1

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Chicken or egg here? Was this the reason for 2112, or were those lines made to fit into the pattern??

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Chicken or egg here? Was this the reason for 2112, or were those lines made to fit into the pattern??

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.